Outlaw 2012 race reports

201 to 220 of 531 messages
05/07/2012 at 21:57

Saw hubby, mum and crew as I came into T2 which was brilliant…..handed over my bike and into the tent. Grabbed my bag, on the bench……faffed a bit with what to wear as I was cold from the rain so on with arm warmers then thought I would be hot, so off with arm warmers….faff, double faff…

Bike :  hoped 6.30  managed 6.39 (now thinking I could have pushed harder maybe/possibly but then would I have got through the run?!)

T2 8.24

Run

The bit I was the most worried about!!! The aim, after chatting with FF, was to stick to 10mins run/1min walk as long as I could and then aim for small goals and that’s exactly how it went.  I have worried so much about the Achilles and as I set off I felt it and I felt it for the first 5miles.  I started to think that this was going to go horribly wrong as the pain in my ankle was reminding me that I had not been able to run train.  Then the pain just disappeared!  As I collected my first band, I double checked how many I needed (another worry had to be eased) and on I went around the first lap of the lake. As I turned at the other end to head back the wind was a killer and I thought to myself OMFG this is going to do me in every time.  I then heard the loudest wolf whistle ever, glanced across the other side of the lake to see my long suffering training buddy, Niall waving frantically at me.  That brought the biggest grin of relief to my face as I had been so worried after passing him on the bike but knowing he was behind me and would no doubt catch me, helped my plodding.  The pirate supporters along the route were amazing, Waffa with her pompoms and offer of a cartwheel if I smiled was great.  Don’t know who the pirate with the black cap on and the big gob was but he must have been the loudest pirate ever. Brilliant.  I walked through every feed station and alternated with water/hi 5 and crisps even if I didn’t really want a drink I had one.

05/07/2012 at 21:58

Stuck with hi 5 gels every 30mins (FF my hero) .  Loved seeing pirates all over the place with their encouragement, Hennie you were one of those that always smiled and told me I was looking strong evening though I felt shite. Flat.Footed, thanks for your encouragement each time you passed me.  Trogs with her smile that said, I knew you would be okay, thank you Trogs.  Saw Dustboy on my second loop and had a hug, pleased to see him as knew the bike was an issue for him.  (Thought he was piddling about when I text him the next morning only to find he had been whisked off, gutted for you DB)  Mile 13 came along fairly quickly and it started to sink in that I was actually doing this and still run/walking albeit slowing down.  The wind around the  lake did me in each time and found it demoralising as I was running on the spot so tended to walk more that side and safe energy.  Mum and hubby were at this point and urging me on with smiles and encouragement. Flagging majorly now and hit the caffeine gels at mile 16 as advised, tried the coke which seemed to hit the spot.  3 bands on my arm now and although I knew I just had one loop to go, going down the windy lakeside I struggled and felt a bit teary eyed…….past the pirate support at this stage and apologies to Mr SA and Jordy as I was a bit weak and woolly with my Mexican wave moment. Thought of my Dad at this point which is probably why I was teary eyed and knew he was up there grinning down at me.  So many pirates on that route, too many to mention but thank you Viking for your lovely smile and encouragement at every turn, Barley for your loud shout of go on Saffers every time you saw me and making me smile……smiling and running just don’t go together for me.  Low point for me was rounding a corner and seeing my training buddy sat on a bench, still cracking jokes at me but looking shite! We had played leapfrog throughout this race and now he looked like he was going to flake out on me.  Stopped to check on him, he was struggling to walk, feeling faint and had been there a while…….told him to sit for a while as he had plenty of time to compose himself then walk to the next feed station for water/gels/crisps….anything but just don’t give up.  He told me to get on with it which I found hard to do, how do you leave someone who has been with you every step of the way and helped each other so much?  We had already said we had to race our own race but it was blinking hard……off I trotted and decided that if he were still there I would have to get a medic but there he was walking towards me.  Phew.  He caught me up and we did my run to that tree walk to that sign strategy.  Saw Ironholgs who managed a smile and words of encouragement exchanged.  Told Niall to get going as I couldn’t go any faster and off he plodded and we both knew we were going to do this.  Last time through Schmunkees support crew to be told I was beating Barley….LOL. 4th band on yayyyyyyyyy. 

And there's more.

05/07/2012 at 21:59

Headed along the lake, walking more than running, quads were screaming at me as was Barley from behind, “Come on Saffers, move it. You’re not gonna let me beat you are you?”  Whatever…LOL… I couldn’t give a fudge at that moment in time.  Turned towards home and thankfully the wind had dropped…..Barley by my side yakking at this point.  “You do realise that you have 18minutes to get under 14hours don’t you Saffers?”  Course I blinking didn’t, I had no idea what the time was, I just knew I was going to finish….. “You’re going to have to run the whole way Saffers, come on….keep going, that’s it…..I’m going on cos I’m not doing any of that hand holding over the finish line.” Said Barley.   So run I did, every last step I plodded til I could hear the music, see the crowds and hoping I was still under 14 as all of a sudden it mattered.  2 minutes to get under 14 I could hear everyone shouting as I heading down the finish shute…..loads of pirates clapping and shouting and mum and hubby going nuts as I crossed the line with training buddy stood there with medal already on.  Fantastic!  I had done it, I was an Outlaw.

Time 13.58.09

A fantastic day.  I am still emotional, one minute grinning and writing this I’m crying.  Thanks so much Barley for shouting that at me or I wouldn’t have got sub 14.  Thanks to all the pirates for their support, not just on the day but through these forums/FB/twitter and giving such great advice and encouragement.  Cheers Plum for putting up with a lot of texts through the early stages, you’re a star.  Flat.Footed, the advice you gave me really got me through that run without a doubt.  Every step of the way I was thanking you.  I am proud to be a pirate, you are a fantastic group of people. Oh and Meldy, you were right of course, I was absolutely fine.

That must be the longest report ever!!!!!  Sorryyyyyyyyyyyy

Lee the Pea    pirate
05/07/2012 at 21:59
Lol VT'd, i forgot about the Celtic threesome!!! Hahahaha. We must tri harder next time hehehe. It was a real pleasure to meet you, you're such a genuine guy and i enjoyed having a laugh with you Can't wait for the next pirate tri, i do love a good piratey laugh
05/07/2012 at 22:00

My daughter is sat here saying you lot will look at that report and not bother reading it it's sooooo long.  I love a long race report myself but must admit, I did go on.

05/07/2012 at 22:08

I read it Saffers  
*sniff*
Well done!  

05/07/2012 at 22:13

I knew someone would read it

iron fraggle    pirate
05/07/2012 at 22:18
I thought it was brilliant saffers
05/07/2012 at 22:20

Still working on mine!! Sorry! 

05/07/2012 at 22:23
Excellent post saffers
Lee the Pea    pirate
05/07/2012 at 22:27
Aw lovely report Saffers! We all knew you'd do it you daft bint, what was with all the wibbling?! hehehehehe. Well done! Xxx
05/07/2012 at 22:34

Excellent report Saffers. Well done matey

05/07/2012 at 22:35

*blink*

05/07/2012 at 22:41
Hope. tough day. very similar to mine re the portaloo challenge. respect.
The rest of you brilliant reports brilliant community. brilliant day.
meface    pirate
05/07/2012 at 22:43

Read it - and well done. Good report and awesome race.

OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
05/07/2012 at 22:46
Top report saffers.... Almost as long as some of mine
05/07/2012 at 23:12

Didn't read a word! 

Top bombing Saffers!!!!!!

05/07/2012 at 23:29

Nice report Suffers!  Wasn't sure if I saw those sandbags you were carrying around or not?!!  

The Silent Assassin    pirate
06/07/2012 at 08:20

excellent report Saffers

06/07/2012 at 08:33

Great report Saffers, very well done, really inspiring.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.