Outlaw 2012 race reports

21 to 40 of 522 messages
03/07/2012 at 20:41

Chesilboy...the DQ sheets were in in the main building at the end.

Mystery solved Mrs F.....seems the Smugglers are making a bit of a come back!!

03/07/2012 at 20:46
If you sat up someones @rse on the bike with that wind you would make much more than the 2 mins penalty still they know they cheated their way round and will always know they didnt really do it proper i saw quite a bit of it cheating feckers still it does look like the refs were giving it a go with 30 DQs
Slagiatt    pirate
03/07/2012 at 20:47

did seem to be an awful lot of drafting going on ... even had someone sit on my wheel for the last 10 miles or so ... now thats pretty desperate given the average speed i was making at the time .. shameful really but they are only kidding themselves. 

Iron Pingu    pirate
03/07/2012 at 20:49

I had some big bloke sat on my tail on one particularly straight and windy section and it really pissed me off to the point that I slowed down enough to force him to overtake....

Awesome awesome day though, pirates supporters are the best.

03/07/2012 at 20:49

One person was a DQ for abusive behavior in registration the day before! Can you imagine?  Most drafting was 2 mins penalty, couple of DQ's for dangerous riding. It's quite interesting.

03/07/2012 at 20:52

RBM - me to, there was 1 individual - Name - ANDY - red cycle top, long hair.......you know who you are you cheating SofB.
i was watching him draft for ages then as i passed he tried it on me, i just slowed down rather sharply, he muttered something i gave the Vs and he cycled off into the wind. Tw*t

Iron Muffin    pirate
03/07/2012 at 21:12
Red_dog_chris wrote (see)

Saw lots of pirates there, nice bunch can I be one please? Did it in 11:54, quite chuffed as first one. Great atmosphere and well organised. would like to do it next year.

Welcome aboard

Pirate power is amazing

Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/07/2012 at 21:15

Drafting penalties do vary from race to race.  In some they'll tell you while you're on the course, and you serve a penalty either during the bike leg or in T2, often a lot longer than 2 minutes for a long course event.  Multiple offenders can be DQ'd.  At Outlaw you'd have had no idea until the results came up.

I've got no time for blatant drafters, but it's one of those areas where you need to give the referees a bit of discretion - if you applied the rules strictly you'd have a lot of folks getting penalties in the first few miles out of T1 when there are simply too many riders in too small a space.

Red_dog_chris    pirate
03/07/2012 at 21:17
Iron muffin - you mean I can be a pirate too? Hurrahh!! Now where do I get that cool top and mingle with all the other pirates?
M...eldy    pirate
03/07/2012 at 21:19

Here  

M...eldy    pirate
03/07/2012 at 21:19

.. well, not from me exactly but just hang around, join in and watch for Kit Order threads 

03/07/2012 at 21:25
This chaingang was when I was on my first southern loop, and the six hour peleton were on their second. Was totally blatant, and as it was a long stretch I watched them go off into the distance, not a single change of place or attempt to pass.
M...eldy    pirate
03/07/2012 at 21:28

I dont remember who it was but one of the faster of us remarked how he had not seen any draft busters out and about on the course yet the slower of us had seen an awful lot of them.... perhaps they were right place, wrong time for the few that we saw ??

03/07/2012 at 22:03

Day two. Up in the morning buzzing with excitment. Got to the swim and the smell of bird shit was turning the stomach. The water felt tropical.. got the head down, breathing every 2 strokes to stop the googles coming and get the breathing going. Managed 1:09. T1 was smooth. 4mins. no boobs though . Straight on the bike, golden boots whizzed by. Ride out was very pace, felt good, maintained aerobic HR. Loop one was good, with oxton mount smashed (smaller than my road), shot into Southwell. Loop 2 the head wide was a ball ache. average speed drop 5mph! Some were drafting my back wheel... cheating MF'ers!!! All on TT bikes as well!! At 90 miles the legs felt like jelly.. was feeling like I was bonking and the marathon was looking a non-starter. However, 102 miles found the second wind... the drafters were starting to pass and that pissed me off... so I knuckled down and came in at 5:47!! I was on for sub 11... big boost!! I did the marathon in 3:57 last year and I had 3:55 to play with. Passed mille on the first lap of the run and she looked very good.. had a small chat before feed station 1. Wind on the back straight was torture. went for a run/walk for the first 4 feed stations, just to get the energy levels back up. Then swopped to my 20 min two gels and water at the nearest feed station tactic and it work very well. Saw microbeman on the second lap which gave me another lift along with the pirate support. Came in at 3:47 to give me a total of 10:52... Result!! Hit the massage table, food tent and watch my fellow pirates coming in. Microbeman came in at 13:20, which was pretty cool! Headed back to the campsite, washed, changed and hit the regatta bar ready to cheer the last pirates in over the chute... and Sid of course.... amazing finishing to a truely fantastic day! To be continued...

03/07/2012 at 22:07
Who is Sid ?
03/07/2012 at 22:17
Just the second to last guy... I think that was his first ever tri!!! Not a pirate but deserves a mention.
03/07/2012 at 22:32
It's just the guys at the Outlaw sounded really pleased to see him too :0).
03/07/2012 at 22:35
03/07/2012 at 22:36
Hey all, well done to every one!!! Just wanted to say hi to all the other outlaws out there! First ever Ironman distance and loved it really pleased with a sub 12 hours, especially after being injured. Swim was great everyone chatting at the start then getting whacked in the face twice - about 1 hour 5 mins!! Bike loop one was really quick with clear roads and sun (and crappy wind!!). Not happy with all the drafting last 10 miles back saw two pairs and a group go by sucking on each others arses while I tried to eat another flapjack washed down by high 5 (yuck!). BTW there was a point on loop two near the (argghhh) Pirates feed station when it was getting bunched up with first and second lappers so there was a point which I tried to move 10 meters behind but was very difficult (no idea if penalised?!?!) and like an earlier report feel proud to have done it by myself. Ps all the support and stations was GREAT! Got back to a quiet T2 after 5 hours 40 ish. Start of the run - supporters were great, all those people at the feed stations being nice (lying) saying it wasn't far to go!! Wind was bitter but was glad I was off the bike before the downpoor - but it did make me laugh with me being 6'3'' and two people running really close behind back up the lake.... Running draughting!! Lol and I was going SLOW! Finished about 4 hours 50 mins and wanted to cry, all those racing snakes bouncing past during the run was demoralising. Thanks all - well done all - see you next year!
03/07/2012 at 23:40
DTB, Ultra Cake Pim.p wrote (see)
This chaingang was when I was on my first southern loop, and the six hour peleton were on their second. Was totally blatant, and as it was a long stretch I watched them go off into the distance, not a single change of place or attempt to pass.

Ditto - must have been the same lot I saw and pretty much the same point......it was blatant in the extreme....

Still at least I know my ride was all mine so to speak and not "assisted" in anyway

21 to 40 of 522 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.