81 to 100 of 531 messages
TheEngineer    pirate
04/07/2012 at 14:58

"mezzo soprano fart"

Phrase of the day.  

M.r Zuvai    pirate
04/07/2012 at 14:59
fat buddha wrote (see)

GB - don't sweat about it - you were in the zone like many others....

we had all sorts to contend with coming in to T2 - those in the zone; those glad to hand over the bike ("I never want to see it again"); the precious ("please rack it nicely"); those that could hardly stand up; and many others who gave us a thank you which wasn't needed but was nice all the same.

and for those who peed on the bike........

if you had let me i would have chucked mine in the lake   

04/07/2012 at 15:41
Great race reports keep em coming its weird but as usual i cant remember much about the day it usually takes about week to filter through (probably something to do with old age before Meldy kindly points this out )
seren nos    pirate
04/07/2012 at 15:49

brilliant reports..keep them coming..............loving the descriptions.......

04/07/2012 at 16:05
Hey Max have you seen Meldys report yet ? Qed teehee
pain is temporary    pirate
04/07/2012 at 16:06

deleted post... stupid copy & paste from word

Edited: 04/07/2012 at 16:09
pain is temporary    pirate
04/07/2012 at 16:11

How do you copy and post so that it is actually readable???

Edited: 04/07/2012 at 16:12
Ultra AJH    pirate
04/07/2012 at 16:23
Golden Boots wrote (see)
Ultra AJH wrote (see)

Sid's a mate off twitter. He will be pleased that everybody knows him now  was so impressed that he finished.

AJH - I have a video of his finish... could you please twitmail him and ask him to get in touch should he want it. It was only the cheap camera though but still good with all of us cheering his name

Will do.

04/07/2012 at 16:27
Cut and paste from word. Post. Then open it using edit to remove all the crap
04/07/2012 at 16:32

c&p it to Notepad - all the formatting shit is removed - then c&p back here

04/07/2012 at 18:34

Dread to think how long it would have been if id finished

Outlaw Report DNF

Well, not much went right at my first Outlaw attempt. I had trained hard for the bike, swam the distance numerous times in the pool and a few times in open water. The run training was sporadic but I was confident I could hobble round.

I had spent the 2 weeks prior to Outlaw tapering, having panic attacks about the event, even partook in some self mutilation by shaving my upper torso, and it appears I have more hair on my stomach and back than I do on my head these days!

Registration day was great, met loads of ‘Pirates’ who were happy to chat and share advice which helped to calm my nerves. I was beginning to realise how special the ‘Pirates’ and support are. Was anyone else fooled by the position of the orange buoy in the lake on the Saturday,I looked at it thinking the swim was going to be a doddle.When I arrived on the Sunday and it had been moved back towards the end of the lake,I thought ‘HOLY SWAN SHIT THATS A LONG WAY’.

Had a sleepless night and arrived at HPP really early, so early it wasn’t even open. I put my bottles on the bike, it was here I realised how good some of these bikes were compared to mine. The guys who were riding these bikes didn’t just suck the gel out of the packet they probably ate the packet as well!! I faffed around with transition bags then waited for the start. Thank you to ‘Purple’ for the little chat; hope you had a great day. Put my suit on, picked my hat and goggles up and made my way into the water, it was then I realised I had left my earplugs. I hate swimming in open water without them.

Anyway the swim started and I held back, had a few people who came over the top of me and I swallowed a bit of water the wrong way. I began to choke and quickly stuck my fingers in my mouth to make myself sick. I calmed myself down then started breast stroking up the water. To my right there was a bloke who was really panicking, I asked if he needed me to shout for help, he said he was ok while swimming on his back, I encouraged him to swim on his side and try to calm his breathing. I then started off up the water. My swim choke had really knocked my confidence and I struggled all the way. I got a real shock swimming towards the finish and they were all shouting about the 2 hr cut off, I got out of the water in a real panic in 1 hr 56 ish. I knew it was going to be a long day at the office.

T1 - Got help to remove suit and into the changing tent. I put my cycle shoes on, my sunglasses fell on the ground and I accidently stood on them and to top it off, I then forgot to put my Garmin on. Grabbed my helmet and gloves and ran out to bike. The support up on the bank behind the bikes was amazing, ‘Go on Pirate’ they shouted, I gave them a wave and promptly dropped my gloves, the crowd shouted out so I ran back to get them.

04/07/2012 at 18:35

Got my bike and set off. More support on the left hand bank out of T1, I gave them my first ever ‘AAARRRGGGHHH’ and I was off with a massive smile on my face. I then realised I’d left my Garmin in T1, thought never mind I’ve got my speedometer. I had only got about another 200 meters when my speedometer fell off the bike, I saw small bits of plastic bouncing along the ground, so didn’t bother going back. Not a lot was going to plan! I thought never mind I will look out for mile markers and work out the speed using my watch. I then began to crack on, wondering why there wasn’t any distance markers on the route. Wind was quite bad in places. Support on the side lines was brilliant, and there were no big hills to worry about. The feed stations were brilliant with great support, I was starting to feel tired but cracked on, and being late out of the water I didn’t see many riders and found this quite hard mentally. Down onto the southern loop, first lap and lots more cyclists were overtaking me, going on to their second lap. It wasn’t long before the Pirate feed station came into view, I had a massive smile on my face riding through. Narrowly missed a pushchair when chucking my bottle, Sorry. Brilliant support and a massive thank you to all the Pirate helpers and support; you truly know how to lift people’s spirits. Unfortunately at about 70 ish miles my body just didn’t feel right, energy seemed to drain, I stopped and ate some chocolate brownie and had a drink. The wind seemed to be picking up and with no speedometer or Garmin I was losing the plot on where I was on the course. Pirates were passing me, shouting encouragement and I tried to crack on. At about 80 miles I saw another Pirate at the side of the road who was also struggling. Hi Capt.Jack. We had a good chat and as I was talking, my body just seemed to shut down. We were pushing our bikes along the road, lots of Pirates stopped and encouraged us to carry on and offer gels and tablets. Thank you to you all for your offers of support it meant a lot. I was kind of thinking if I could get to the feed station I might be able to get going again. My body had other ideas and I started being violently sick, I felt like death and the vomit just kept erupting out of my mouth and nose. In between vomits Capt.Jack and I began to laugh at each other, I suppose it was better than crying. By now I knew my race was over. Months of training all for nothing, ending on the road side in a pool of vomit and laughter.

MovingAlong    pirate
04/07/2012 at 18:36

Some cracking race reports.

Great to camp the day before the race and meet up with loads of people from the 'Shorter Tri' thread, those I'd met at the DIY Half and loads of new faces too.

Catching up with some of the stories in The Bridge on the Monday was great too - everyone had a story to tell about some point on the day.

Posted my full race report on my blog here: http://serunner.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/outlaw-iron-distance-triathlon-2012/

04/07/2012 at 18:38

Me and Capt were picked up by a support van and taken to an ambulance, Capts blood pressure was low and I kept flat lining when they were taking my blood pressure. Nothing to worry about then!! We laughed and joked on our trip back to the medical tent at HPP. Once in the tent the medical staff wanted us to wait until toilet issues had passed. All I wanted to do was go in a corner and cry, I sneaked down to the changing tent and got my phone to ring family out on the course, I couldn’t speak on the phone trying to tell them I had failed. After the phone call I stood wiping tears from my eyes and thought to myself, ‘remember this feeling you soft twat, be stronger next time’. I had already planted the seed to return and conquer the OUTLAW.

I am truly honoured to have spent part of the day with so many special people. The whole organisation was fantastic. The Pirate support was truly amazing from the Feed station, to the supporters who lift the whole crowd. An experience I will never forget. Amazing highs and the terrible realization of failure. Thank you to you all...VERY very special people.  Proud to be a Pirate ...  in training!

Sorry for not hanging around at the finish but I just wanted to dig a whole and hide.

Well done to all who finished and commiserations to the few who didnt do it this time.

The Silent Assassin    pirate
04/07/2012 at 18:46
spongecake wrote (see)

‘remember this feeling you soft twat, be stronger next time’.

Spongecake, that is fantastic, lots on here have failed and come back stronger and better.

debbo    pirate
04/07/2012 at 18:47

Spongecake - it sounds like it just wasn't your day - many of us have DNF'd and come back to triumph, so don't lose heart - you'll do it next time I'm sure  

04/07/2012 at 18:49
And even more have never got to the start line !
04/07/2012 at 18:51

kittenkat    pirate
04/07/2012 at 19:04
spongecake wrote (see)

Me and Capt were picked up by a support van and taken to an ambulance, Capts blood pressure was low and I kept flat lining when they were taking my blood pressure. Nothing to worry about then!! We laughed and joked on our trip back to the medical tent at HPP. Once in the tent the medical staff wanted us to wait until toilet issues had passed. All I wanted to do was go in a corner and cry, I sneaked down to the changing tent and got my phone to ring family out on the course, I couldn’t speak on the phone trying to tell them I had failed. After the phone call I stood wiping tears from my eyes and thought to myself, ‘remember this feeling you soft twat, be stronger next time’. I had already planted the seed to return and conquer the OUTLAW.

I am truly honoured to have spent part of the day with so many special people. The whole organisation was fantastic. The Pirate support was truly amazing from the Feed station, to the supporters who lift the whole crowd. An experience I will never forget. Amazing highs and the terrible realization of failure. Thank you to you all...VERY very special people.  Proud to be a Pirate ...  in training!

Sorry for not hanging around at the finish but I just wanted to dig a whole and hide.

Well done to all who finished and commiserations to the few who didnt do it this time.

Let me try and answer this...

*Deep breath*

The Pirate thing is 'wonderful' and 'impressive' and 'not quite reflective of reality' online. Note my very considered use of online. If it wasn't for this, many people including myself wouldn't have achieved or even considered (the latter being true for me) IM and beyond that distance.

However, I don't believe, despite a plethora of very good mentors on here, that it is for everyone instantly. Now I'm not talking personally about you at all but I have seen people that I used to respect mentor people to failure when they should have been honest and said... "Go for IM 2 years in or 3 years in, not this year you won't make it"

If I mentor you and you won't make it I'll tell you.

For all of us, if you put all your eggs in the Pirate basket, it's great if you pull it off, whether that be by such hard work, commitment and determination, or fly by the seat of your pants.

But it's wrong to let people think that everyone can do it without having proper guidance, strategy, and someone being honest with them and not just saying 'You can do it, you can do it, look we all did. If I can, you can!'

Sometimes the person that fails has the potential to be much stronger than others and faster in the long run, but confidence is shattered.

I do understand and support all the positive Pirate vibes, but I also see the other side, which I'll mention if no-one else will. It's a bandwagon, my advice is only jump on it with people you trust.

Edited: 04/07/2012 at 19:05
M...eldy    pirate
04/07/2012 at 19:19

Spongecake, I heard several times on Sunday people saying 'You dont know, if you dont try'
None of the people saying it knew the other ...

Rest, recover, repair and you will live to fight another day 

81 to 100 of 531 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.