Outlaw 2012 race reports

101 to 120 of 531 messages
kittenkat    pirate
04/07/2012 at 19:27

And also I saw a post by a rookie (who I met and liked) saying that the half next year was available for those not up to the distance (or similar). I'm sure he wasn't thinking about the other interpretation of that.

Which is a reflection of how this forum posts generically as though greater distance, at any speed or lack of it is the ultimate prize.

Which it can be, don't get me wrong. But I've been trying to say that shorter faster is harder to PB in... etc.. and hurts more! Ok, well maybe not, but a different kind of hurt.

kittenkat    pirate
04/07/2012 at 19:28

And equally as admirable for those that strive for it in shorter tris.

kittenkat    pirate
04/07/2012 at 19:30
M...eldy wrote (see)

Spongecake, I heard several times on Sunday people saying 'You dont know, if you dont try'

I know I can't sing in tune, even if I tried my hardest.

Edited: 04/07/2012 at 19:33
04/07/2012 at 19:31
I had a long discussion with Sue the other week that I thought doing an IM was starting to be what running a marathon used to be 15 years ago.....

... She suggested that me and my mates ( think she meant you lot ) have a distorted view on life
kittenkat    pirate
04/07/2012 at 19:49
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
I had a long discussion with Sue the other week that I thought doing an IM was starting to be what running a marathon used to be 15 years ago.....

... She suggested that me and my mates ( think she meant you lot ) have a distorted view on life

Well... you have to explore the motivation and psychology for achieving it? What do adults get from it and for how long lasting and important is that in their day to day life and psyche?

Lee the Pea    pirate
04/07/2012 at 19:57
Loving all the reports everyone

I've DNF'd an IM, and maybe it means i'll never be up for the full distance, but i'll give it a try again, when i'm fitter. I can deal with not finishing, having at least tried, but i can't deal with an expectation that i'll never be able to do it (which isn't unreasonable due to my size, and lack of sporty background). I really do believe in the 'better to try and fail than never to try', and who knows, i might even succeed!
IronCat5    pirate
04/07/2012 at 19:57
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

I think I said similar things to KK over the weekend. It's a skewed normality.

I joined my running club after doing a HM. I was immensly proud of myself (and I still think it was the hardest race I've ever done), but was immediately welcomed by people who do marathons regularly. There were 1 or 2 IM people in there, and some who run shorter distances faster.

The takeaway here is I went from my 'normal' friends who don't run, to hanging around with a group who run a variety of distances well. Then I graduated (or was expelled) to the PSOF who skew the normality even further to the 'ridiculous'.

Report to follow......(one day).

M...eldy    pirate
04/07/2012 at 19:59

Any more reports yet??   Slackers  

Cpt.Jack sparra    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:03
Spongecake you will be a friend for life mate , I was at my lowest point and felt like death when we caught up on the bike, the pair of us distraught with the feeling of failure soon turned to being like a comedy sketch !! One of my most miserable times was soon to be one of my most memorable funny moments of my life and it completely changed my day for the better . I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that many people , fit or un-fit , can end up with a DNF and I think it just wasn't our day......but trust me that day will come ! I'm glad you've recovered and I look forward to us celebrating our ironman status with our "finishers" t shirts at the next attempt
Lee the Pea    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:07
Well said Sparra
04/07/2012 at 20:11
*scurries up stairs to start typing and appease Meldy*
M...eldy    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:13

Its a race report thread which is a little bereft on race reports and its not like you lot have got much else to do this week  

Holly_Golightly    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:33

I've been writing mine Melds, but it needs editing. It's huge.

M...eldy    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:36

Pity we dont know any good writers eh?

seren nos    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:37

Maybe Ironman isn't for everyone and some will try and fail and find they don't get the urge to try again..............but for many the failure is just a learning step to success the next time.............

I still rate the feeling of achieving it one of the best i have had and would still encourage everyone who wants to have a go  to just dive in................if you never try you will never know............our bodies are capable of a lot more than we think..............and if you dream about it then go for it even if it takes several attempts......

I think taht most who fail and then do not try again....didn't really have the dream and the desire.........maybe they were doing it for the wrong reasons..........not because deep down they really wanted it...............

dnf is absolutely horrible.........but with the right attitude it does make you stronger 

and where are all the rest of the reports

Iron Pingu    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:44

FRI/SAT

Arrived quite late on Friday so I could have the Saturday to relax and not worry about driving.   Got there the same time as Ferret so camped up next to him in the Pirate area.
Saturday, what a day!  Exhausting, so many pirates so little time.  Loved meeting up with all the IMW guys, having them there at Outlaw was fantastic.  Went to register with Mr Zuvai, VTD and Ian, a non pirate who had managed to pitch up in the middle of the Pirate massive.  Love the Pirate/Outlaw buff, hoping it’s not lost…. 
RACE DAY!

Sunday!!  4am wake up with some porridge, some general faffing before heading over to transition.  Bike check and at 5.40, about to head towards the lake when Sis goes, “Where’s your timing chip”.  Holy mother of crap, it was in the tent.  Sprinted back to campsite (fastest I ran that day!), got timing chip and rushed back to lake, at least it was an opportunity to warm up …

SWIM

Lake was lovely (if you ignore all the shit) !  So warm, and with the sky all blue it really was a lovely swim.  Got a bit biffed up and goggles dislodged a bit at turnaround but not a problem. On the up part of the swim I punched something mid stroke, took a look and it was a swan coming in to land!  Ended doing swim in 1.15, very pleased, was expecting about 1.20.

Edited: 04/07/2012 at 20:45
Iron Pingu    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:46

T1
Quick transition and out on the bike, not much else to say except I was surprised at how many bags were still there.

BIKE

Lap of lake was good to orientate you.  Very fast first couple of hours but the wind started to be a right pain from about mile 40 and continued to be so.  Lots of pirates starting overtaking with lots of Arggghing going on (and a good bit of gossiping too)  Fuelled my bike with homemade flapjacks and I’ll use them again, really yummy and not sickly.  THE PIRATE SUPPORT STATION HIGHLIGHT OF THE BIKE!!  Needed to pee at about 90 miles and decided I could wait until transition which was a very bad idea.  22 miles doesn’t seem much when you’ve done 90 miles but it’s an age when you’re bursting for a pee!!  Ended up peeing in a hedge, much relieved I headed towards transition.

T2

A 2.51 bike to run transition put me in the top 51 (actually in there were a few of us with the same time, but I’m taking the top 51 position).  So all that training and the thing I’m best at is changing my trainers fast .. whoop whoop!

RUN

Off for the run, feeling pretty good actually … As I got to the bit where you run round the split in the path where you do the first lap of the lake I got diverted off to the out and back bit …. Took me about 5 mins to realise something was up and had to run back!!!!  So, my IM run was the longest run I’ve ever done, about 27 miles  … anyway .. ignoring that, I was going for a run to feed station, walk through stuffing my face run to next and repeat strategy.  The feed stations put on a marvellous buffet.  I had a banana at the first one, jaffa cakes at the second, for the next I tried the crisps washed down with coke.  For the last 8 miles or so I stuck to the oranges which were lovely and refreshing.  I’m really happy that I didn’t take on a single gel the entire race! …The walks got longer and longer… Didn’t appreciate the head wind so used this as an excuse to conserve my energy.  Saw tons of pirates, the arggggghing got less and nods of acknowledgements more. 

Finished in 13.21, and very happy, especially as I didn’t feel tired or achy afterwards!  Good old endorphins ???  Oh, and that time is nearly 2 hours faster than IMW last year which I think goes to show what an utter beast IMW is!

So who’s back next year …!!!

04/07/2012 at 20:47
Cpt. I will spew on your feet any day mate and a pleasure it was meeting you too.We will be back.
M...eldy    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:48

seren nos    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:51

Pingu............you were lucky you were not at IMW forgetting your chip..............kiln opark was a hell of a lot longer to run b ack to.......ask Mr Z

spongecake and Capt Jack............what a wonderful way to make a friendship

101 to 120 of 531 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.