Outlaw 2012 race reports

101 to 120 of 522 messages
IronCat5    pirate
04/07/2012 at 19:57
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
... She suggested that me and my mates ( think she meant you lot ) have a distorted view on life

I think I said similar things to KK over the weekend. It's a skewed normality.

I joined my running club after doing a HM. I was immensly proud of myself (and I still think it was the hardest race I've ever done), but was immediately welcomed by people who do marathons regularly. There were 1 or 2 IM people in there, and some who run shorter distances faster.

The takeaway here is I went from my 'normal' friends who don't run, to hanging around with a group who run a variety of distances well. Then I graduated (or was expelled) to the PSOF who skew the normality even further to the 'ridiculous'.

Report to follow......(one day).

M...eldy    pirate
04/07/2012 at 19:59

Any more reports yet??   Slackers  

Cpt.Jack sparra    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:03
Spongecake you will be a friend for life mate , I was at my lowest point and felt like death when we caught up on the bike, the pair of us distraught with the feeling of failure soon turned to being like a comedy sketch !! One of my most miserable times was soon to be one of my most memorable funny moments of my life and it completely changed my day for the better . I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that many people , fit or un-fit , can end up with a DNF and I think it just wasn't our day......but trust me that day will come ! I'm glad you've recovered and I look forward to us celebrating our ironman status with our "finishers" t shirts at the next attempt
Lee the Pea    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:07
Well said Sparra
04/07/2012 at 20:11
*scurries up stairs to start typing and appease Meldy*
M...eldy    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:13

Its a race report thread which is a little bereft on race reports and its not like you lot have got much else to do this week  

Holly_Golightly    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:33

I've been writing mine Melds, but it needs editing. It's huge.

M...eldy    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:36

Pity we dont know any good writers eh?

seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:37

Maybe Ironman isn't for everyone and some will try and fail and find they don't get the urge to try again..............but for many the failure is just a learning step to success the next time.............

I still rate the feeling of achieving it one of the best i have had and would still encourage everyone who wants to have a go  to just dive in................if you never try you will never know............our bodies are capable of a lot more than we think..............and if you dream about it then go for it even if it takes several attempts......

I think taht most who fail and then do not try again....didn't really have the dream and the desire.........maybe they were doing it for the wrong reasons..........not because deep down they really wanted it...............

dnf is absolutely horrible.........but with the right attitude it does make you stronger 

and where are all the rest of the reports

Iron Pingu    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:44

FRI/SAT

Arrived quite late on Friday so I could have the Saturday to relax and not worry about driving.   Got there the same time as Ferret so camped up next to him in the Pirate area.
Saturday, what a day!  Exhausting, so many pirates so little time.  Loved meeting up with all the IMW guys, having them there at Outlaw was fantastic.  Went to register with Mr Zuvai, VTD and Ian, a non pirate who had managed to pitch up in the middle of the Pirate massive.  Love the Pirate/Outlaw buff, hoping it’s not lost…. 
RACE DAY!

Sunday!!  4am wake up with some porridge, some general faffing before heading over to transition.  Bike check and at 5.40, about to head towards the lake when Sis goes, “Where’s your timing chip”.  Holy mother of crap, it was in the tent.  Sprinted back to campsite (fastest I ran that day!), got timing chip and rushed back to lake, at least it was an opportunity to warm up …

SWIM

Lake was lovely (if you ignore all the shit) !  So warm, and with the sky all blue it really was a lovely swim.  Got a bit biffed up and goggles dislodged a bit at turnaround but not a problem. On the up part of the swim I punched something mid stroke, took a look and it was a swan coming in to land!  Ended doing swim in 1.15, very pleased, was expecting about 1.20.

Edited: 04/07/2012 at 20:45
Iron Pingu    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:46

T1
Quick transition and out on the bike, not much else to say except I was surprised at how many bags were still there.

BIKE

Lap of lake was good to orientate you.  Very fast first couple of hours but the wind started to be a right pain from about mile 40 and continued to be so.  Lots of pirates starting overtaking with lots of Arggghing going on (and a good bit of gossiping too)  Fuelled my bike with homemade flapjacks and I’ll use them again, really yummy and not sickly.  THE PIRATE SUPPORT STATION HIGHLIGHT OF THE BIKE!!  Needed to pee at about 90 miles and decided I could wait until transition which was a very bad idea.  22 miles doesn’t seem much when you’ve done 90 miles but it’s an age when you’re bursting for a pee!!  Ended up peeing in a hedge, much relieved I headed towards transition.

T2

A 2.51 bike to run transition put me in the top 51 (actually in there were a few of us with the same time, but I’m taking the top 51 position).  So all that training and the thing I’m best at is changing my trainers fast .. whoop whoop!

RUN

Off for the run, feeling pretty good actually … As I got to the bit where you run round the split in the path where you do the first lap of the lake I got diverted off to the out and back bit …. Took me about 5 mins to realise something was up and had to run back!!!!  So, my IM run was the longest run I’ve ever done, about 27 miles  … anyway .. ignoring that, I was going for a run to feed station, walk through stuffing my face run to next and repeat strategy.  The feed stations put on a marvellous buffet.  I had a banana at the first one, jaffa cakes at the second, for the next I tried the crisps washed down with coke.  For the last 8 miles or so I stuck to the oranges which were lovely and refreshing.  I’m really happy that I didn’t take on a single gel the entire race! …The walks got longer and longer… Didn’t appreciate the head wind so used this as an excuse to conserve my energy.  Saw tons of pirates, the arggggghing got less and nods of acknowledgements more. 

Finished in 13.21, and very happy, especially as I didn’t feel tired or achy afterwards!  Good old endorphins ???  Oh, and that time is nearly 2 hours faster than IMW last year which I think goes to show what an utter beast IMW is!

So who’s back next year …!!!

04/07/2012 at 20:47
Cpt. I will spew on your feet any day mate and a pleasure it was meeting you too.We will be back.
M...eldy    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:48

seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/07/2012 at 20:51

Pingu............you were lucky you were not at IMW forgetting your chip..............kiln opark was a hell of a lot longer to run b ack to.......ask Mr Z

spongecake and Capt Jack............what a wonderful way to make a friendship

This years Outlaw journey began for me in 2010 when I finished the race after damaging my leg exiting the swim and struggling around the rest of the course. Although I'd finished in 14:40 ish I felt the race had beaten me and although I only intended to do one IM distance race the seed had planted that I should return to run the race proper. So I took a year gap and broke the news to my long suffering wife and kids that I wanted to enter in 2012. They reluctantly agreed and training began in December. All was going well until the end of April when my achilles started to play up and I ended up not running for 6-7 weeks. Managed to get my run up to 10 miles before the taper began but I knew it was going to be touch and go if I could make the run distance. So here is what happened..............

50 Shades of Vomit by FF

Started at the front of pen three for the swim and settled in nicely to my stroke wanted a 1.15 even though i had gone quicker in training, managed to swim about 80 yards passed the marker . Choppy on the way back but felt strong.

Swim 1.18 Grade C

T1 - 6.12 again happy with the way this went. Grade C+

Managed to drop and my sun gigs on way to bike and the lense popped out but hey, first 40 miles of bike were fine and felt good, then my stomach started gurgling and i knew i felt sick, on top of this the fact that i had only used my newish bike for a total of one hour having only got it a week before meant it was not set up right.

My back hurt, the lack of aero bars cost me and I started to lose the mental battle with myself, stopped three times to throw up and soon realised that anything that went in would re-appear soon. Great to see the pirate feed station and gave myself a little mental slap and re-focused. Had the pleasure of watching Saffers give me a cornering masterclass on her tri bars before getting a second wind and heading home (in the shit weather) to be welcomed by Petal and FB into T2

Bike 6.35 Grade C

T2 - 4.28 - and this included throwing up again, Grade B

Run - Managed to stick to my strategy well, run between the feed stations and walk the 100m in and out of them. Problem was i couln't keep anything in me, i knew i was burning energy i could not replace and finally at mile 21 the petrol light came on and i suffered those last five miles. In 26 miles i threw up 16 times. That wind at the end almost finished me and at least i ran the final strecth passed the crowd and down the chute.

Run 5.07 Grade E

Overall 13.11.17 Grade D -

I have never been sick before in a race and can only conclude the duck shit, dead fish filled pond we swam in did not agree with me.

A few thank you's, I don't mean to forget anyone but i have to thank a few in particular. The feedstation team you were ace, Aitch, your smile helped on every lap, Hairier Half, i loved your abuse it strangley motivated me more!,The SA family you lot are one in a million, BtS love the tablet. But the biggest thanks goes to the Pirate's as a whole.....three weeks ago i didn't even know if i could race after my bikes were nicked but the offers to lend me bikes were amazing, some people have never even met me and offered. The fact we can win the ladies comp and place highly in other AG and still have people coming in near 17 hours and no-one is treated any differently (except Gladys) is what makes this a special group. Proud to know you all and proud to wear the black and yella'

Role on 2013

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
04/07/2012 at 21:03
pain is temporary wrote (see)

How do you copy and post so that it is actually readable???

kittenkat wrote (see)

And also I saw a post by a rookie (who I met and liked) saying that the half next year was available for those not up to the distance (or similar). I'm sure he wasn't thinking about the other interpretation of that.

Which is a reflection of how this forum posts generically as though greater distance, at any speed or lack of it is the ultimate prize.

Which it can be, don't get me wrong. But I've been trying to say that shorter faster is harder to PB in... etc.. and hurts more! Ok, well maybe not, but a different kind of hurt.

it was me....

and what i should have said or at least had meant to, is that the option of a half will allow greater particpation rates and options for people to get involved and feel the comradarie who otherwise might not OR do what I had the priviledge of doing this year and become a part of a relay team whatever the distance, it was an awesome experience.

what it should have not have indicated as KK quite rightly points out is that not being up for it is a lessor thing! I would like to do the whole thing next year, but being a rookie and having just begun in the endurance game I also so know how far the journey will be and right now I want to believe, but equally I will be honest with myself once I have trained in anger.

It's infectious and an IM may be the ultimate prize for me.... but it won't be for all and what I did learn on relfection, is that at both my first triathlon a few weeks back (which was a sprint BTW which I did in pirate colours) and as part of relay team this weekend (where I did the marathon) is that you can be a pirate regardless of distance or discipline, wear the colours have a laugh and get involved

I haven't gone long, I hope to do so one day but i'm already a pirate!

Thanks to everyone, supporters, new pirates, old pirates, pirate widows, friends of pirates, I truly and genuinely had one of the best experiences of my life, it was only my second marathon but I will probably hold it more dear in the memory chest than my first, both were emotional, I wept on the final straight,such was the pride in the pirates and my achievement

It was an honour to race and become one of you

P.S. If I do an IM next year, one of you will need a bucket and lots of kleenex!

M...eldy    pirate
04/07/2012 at 21:23

'except for Gladys'

Cornish Digger    pirate
04/07/2012 at 21:31

Delayed report.

My first IM was Outlaw 2011 which was a fab day and nearly everything went right. The only wibble was having a punctured bike when checking on the morning f the day and having to replace the tube. I had a great day and finished 13hrs 1minute. That 1minute bugged me for months so I had to enter again

Saturday. After registration racked bike and in final preartion pumped tyres only to break valve.  So again a wibble before the start, but could this just be a good portent of things to com. Replace tube and bought a new one from registration tent(gold plated I think going by cost of it.

Sunday.

Lined up at start next to flowerpower and felt really relaxed. I hate swimming. I find it the most boring thing ever and am always glad when its finished. But I prctisedd relaxing by getting some breathing underwater st the start before the off, and was confident it would be OK.  The start was fine and apart from fretting as I kept hitting people on the legs, feet and bum, thinking they would get upset, I got into a nice rythym quiite quickly.

Now those of you who know me will see that I wear specs. Without them I am a bit like a headless chicken. At the start I could not see the end of the lake. Anyway after about half way up the lake my calf cramped really badly, I was in the middle of the lack and panicking. I couldn't swim. I couldn't uncramp my leg, I need to get to the side(I could see that), So thats where I headed for.

04/07/2012 at 21:39

Arrived Saturday with Azattack and pitched up in the Pirate stronghold. Chatted with Meface and Cake and crew plus a few others, Great atmosphere on the campsite.

Swim:

Water stank like Sh*t and was glad to be on my way. Had somehow managed to mislay my new goggle so only had my old leaky ones but managed to sort them out after about 10 mins. Found the new ones in the bottom of the car when I got home on Monday! Swim felt OK if a bit more choppy on the way back but not too bad. On the return leg was swimming next to someone who was crouched down and walking. tried to shout "swim you cheating B***ard" at him but only succeeded in swallowing water so left him to it

Out of the water in 1:19 slower than last time but only by a few mins and felt OK

T1 was steady for me and was soon out on the bike

Bike training this year has not been as good as previous years so was expecting to average 16-17mph but the first loop saw me at 19-20mph and feeling good. The Pirate feed station was the best by far and raised my spirits no end but then soon after we turned in to the wind and the speed started to fall. Struggled from that point and apart from the second visit to the Pirate feed station found the rest of the bike tough. Saw TST on the roundabout with her very welcome smile. Chatted with a few Pirates along the way. Nearly knocked Muffin top off her bike as we both made a rush for the bananas at one feed station (Sorry again). Saw a couple of Pirates in dire straits at the side of the road which I guess must have been Capn Jack and Spongecake, Was glad to get back to HPP but had seen my 6:15 bike finish evaporate to 6:50.

T2 New socks, off with the bike gear, on with the run shoes and out of the tent.

RUN

The strategy was to run between the aid stations then a bit of a walk to take on nutrition. Set off down the lake and felt great but didn't realise till I headed back down the lake that I'd had a following wind. It was hard work starting the run again but I realised if I didn't start running again I would have an excuse not to get going again later in the race. Loads of Pirates on the course made it great fun but definitely some grumpy ones. Plenty of shouts and waves from the Pirate supporters around the course and they seemed to be everywhere. High fived Azattack a couple of times. Declined Cakes offer of a swig of the black stuff on the second lap. Traded places with Slimshady a few times and managed to sing him a little song as I passed him again on the final lap.Why does the last 200m seem so easy. Finished up the chute to loads of roars from the crowd and to look at my finishing photo it looks like I won the race. Finished in 5:00.

TOTAL 13:25

Satisfied and course tamed (on my terms at least). Only down side of the day was I missed out on the busty masseur  but I may well have embarrassed myself if she had picked me out of the queue.

Great weekend. Definitely one to remember but I've promised the wife no more long course for me.

Well done to all the Pirates you really made the event whether competing or supporting. Next year I may be back again as a supporter or even a relay team.

101 to 120 of 522 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.