Outlaw 2012 race reports

121 to 140 of 522 messages
Slagiatt    pirate
04/07/2012 at 21:48

Pre race .. Well With the change of job and other bits n pieces going on at home training had been a bit sparse in the couple of months pre outlaw, as had any real effort to prep the bike and kit for race day.  Consequently on Friday i was still faffing about trying to improve the wheel bearing situation (hub is knackered but new balls and lots of grease sufficed for now) get the gears to engage properly, replace the broken computer, fit an extra bottle cage, adjust cleats and then get all my kit packed. Seemed to be taking a ridiculous amount of equipment with me, good job i had decided not to camp or id have never been ready in time.

Nice quiet night at the hotel on Friday then off to HPP to register on Sat, Pirates everywhere and great to see some familiar faces. Stood in the wrong queue for a bit until Budha set me right.   In the right queue now and the 666 comments begin .  Much disapointment from those either side of me in the queue when i got a buff (not a euphamism) and they didnt

Chat to more pirates and lunch with VT'd. Pingu, Mr Z and FF ..Then sat through what seemed an extrodinarily long race briefing.. Racked the bike and bags. Then back to Hotel for an early dinner with the Flat Footed posse.

The usual no sleep situation and gave up on even trying by about 2am opting instead to start the pre race prep .. Imodiums by 4 and on to brekky

Drove Flat footed , Sore Shins , and an interloper from east essex tri to the start and went to do final checks and load nutrition to the bike. Put some air in the front , all ok , the back  PSSSSSSSSSSK  valve blows out .. sod it !! (teach me to be a tight arse buying decathon 3 tubes for a pound or whaterver they were) . So tube changed , run back to the car (possibly the longest continuous stretch of running i managed all day) to get another spare.

Slagiatt    pirate
04/07/2012 at 21:49

Swim:  As the pen 1 swimmers were taking a while to get in the water those of us already commited to the slower pens were finally given the OK to enter from the jettys. Challenge being to find a section relatively clear of goose sh!t (medium sized dogs would have been proud to produce turds the size of some of those). 1000 swimmers stirring up several inches of sediment kicked up a lovely stink. Water quite warm for the time of day (cant think why) hooter goes and we are off.  Bit of a biffing for the first 100m then relatively clear going. I grew to hate the distance markers at the side, a constant reminder that you hadnt swam nearly as far as you had thought. The buoys marking the row lanes where a useful aid to reduce my usual zig zaging though.  round the first turn and you started to see the effect of the wind as you got blown off course a bit for the second turn buoy. Harder going on the return leg but out of the water for a 1:36 which is about what i had expected.

T1: With the precision of a Japanese whaling fleet the helpers had my wetsuit off me in no time. Bit of a faff changing the lenses in the riding glasses,otherwise no problems. Out to the bike ... not to chalenging to find and making a dogs dinner of getting cleats engaged (this the result of me sodding about with them on Fri and Sat and moving them forward a bit .. bad call).

Slagiatt    pirate
04/07/2012 at 21:49

Ride: With feet finally attached to the pedals made excellent progress on the wind assisted first mile, after that it all went a bit wrong really. Started getting  back pains quite early on when ever i got on the aerobars (need a propper bike fit i think) and with my ever so slightly less that aerodynamic physique the headwind was making the ride a pretty miserable experience. I turned off the miles on the computer as it was just too depressing to see .. figured it was better to just keep turning the wheels and hope for someone to turn  the wind off. Was pleased to find that the navigation to the start of loop 1 was infinately easier than it had been described in the race briefing , and I didnt even realise we were on Oxton until that last little bit  (which i'll admit i granny ringed) rest of loop one not so bad at all really. On past the cricket match ,great support there, and onto loop 2 with the prospect of pirates ahead  . "Its not a knitting club" .. that sign had to have put a smile on everyones face, love it, Pirate feed station was as we had expected second to none, awesome job all of you, out onto the second half of loop 2 , laughing out loud at the "bike sale 3pm", did my good deed for the day (i didnt realy deserve to be 666 obviously) stopping to give one of my spare tubes to someone on his third puncture of the day (either very unlucky or very bad at refitting tyres) (and yes im afraid it was one of my shite decathlon ones) then onto the miserable windy A46 section for the first time. That bit between FS 4 and FS 5 just seemed to take forever.. ave speed plumetting.  Back into Pirate central again and onto the last bit of the loops and that godammned A46 bit, even slower than the first go .. wind stronger?, legs weaker for sure . Puncture bloke spins past me again.  Heading back to HPP past the very excellent and cheery Tiger again (who we now know to be TST ) at the roundabout. Collected my drafter around about there who admired my ample backside for the last few miles and through the mountain bike section into HPP.
Much slower than i had hoped , much harder than i had expected

T2: considerred losing the compression T but wasnt sure the monaco could cope without it so left it on. Forgot the sun cream , didnt take my cap (not used to starting a run in daylight), otherwise it went swimingly well .. 10 minutes to put on a knee wrap and a pair of trainers have no idea at all what took me so long.

Slagiatt    pirate
04/07/2012 at 21:52

Run (lol well i'll call it that if you dont mind) . The usual post bike numb feet and had already decided id walk to first feed to get the feeling back. I also had a re-occurance of the left eye probs that i had on SA's diy half recently and am now convinced its a hydration issue as it started to clear up after i started getting more fluid on (lesson for next time). First full loop was not fun .. feet were really painful (the earlier painkillers had however sorted the back by now so that was nice), i was regretting my decision not to go into work and get my other running shoes instead taking the new set (same model just unbroken) Nonetheless shuffled along.. walked a lot, but was trying to pick landmarks to run from and to to make up a little time. Seemed like every third person you saw was a pirate so lots of exchanging words of encouragement and then yaaaarghing at supporters. Not good waving at GB going past in the ambulance (good to see you were back on the beer a couple of hours later though lol) Great support from the pirate massive near the finish shute and on the bank near the band point, and the Assasin led mexican wave each lap was a real lift thanks Q, Jordy Jo et al. Great support from Cake and co out on the river bank section too but at the same time gutted that the day didnt pan out for you mate. 

Having had comments all day about the race number and seeing that the lincoln tri FS had devil horns it seemed like a good idea to blag some for the finish (in hindsight it probably seemed much funnier to me than anyone else but hey ho) . Anyhoo, finished with a run time that was slower than my epically slow performance in IMW last year but a still a new pb overall so i'll look on the positive side.

Flat Footed ready with the post run beer... cheers mate

 A bloody marvelous weekend though.. it hurt yes, but still smiling . learnt a lot from the day and have 2 months to do something about it before Wales . Loving being a pirate .. you guys are ace.  Kudos to all of you competing and supporting.

Lessons for me..
-dont wait til the day you travel to fix the damn bike
-dont buy cheap tubes
-dont run in new trainers or tri shorts
-drink more (not in a GB way .. i mean water)
-remember that the big yellow thing in the sky that pops out from time to time will burn   you if you spend 6 and a bit hours wandering about without a cap and sun cream
-train a bit bloody harder .... and then train a bit harder still

Massive thanks to all the feedstaion teams, helpers and marshals who make it possible for us to go out and indulge our mid life crisis'is .  

PS I wasn't last  woohoo !!!!!!

Edited: 04/07/2012 at 21:54
Slagiatt    pirate
04/07/2012 at 21:55

was that more that 200 words

Cheerful Dave    pirate
04/07/2012 at 22:04
Great reading all the reports, I'm hoping to get mine sorted tomorrow.
04/07/2012 at 22:04
Day three. Woke with the numbness felt only at dentists! Made our way (microbeman and doner kebab) to hpp for a fry up at 7:30. DK had tried MD's in town but the 4x4 was buggered to it was a non-starter!! Hope he made it back ok. Took in the surroundings before heading back in convoy again to Sheffield, driving part of the course... It felt long in the car!!!
To finish, met some really fantastic people this weekend, the support was amazing. My pirate badge is now on my lab coat with honour - I salut you!

Anybody know who was lighting the bloody fuses on Saturday night??
04/07/2012 at 22:05
M...eldy wrote (see)

'except for Gladys'

You'll both wait....

Edited: 04/07/2012 at 22:06
04/07/2012 at 22:18

Loving the reports. Slag, you're made me chuckle .  FF, vomiting 16 times in 26 miles after biking and puking!!!  Blimey that's some determination going on there.

Gonna have to finish my report tomorrow....I am now up to the run section but I am going on abit.

Cornish Digger    pirate
04/07/2012 at 22:20

So after around 30 yards cramp eased and I looked to see if I could see turn around point. With sun im My eyes I could see diddly, but set off again. Eventually after what to me seemed like an eternity I got there. Half was on the swim and I had my doubts about finishing, but the second half was OK. Just a long water slog, punched in nose, kicked in shoulder but I got there. 1,34, 4mins slower than last year and glad it was over.Calf was hurting but OK.

T1. Uneventful, however Monacos are a right pain to get on and I am sure it took over a minute for this simple task.


The Go Pirate shouts at the start really cheered me. My day was now starting. Got on the bike and it seemed so easy.Then I realised we had a tail wind,The calf hurt for about 30miles,the thigh started to twinge, my stomach felt like I had swallowed a lake. I pushed on knowing I could do this. I had promised my daughter I would finish which I reminded myself of after the first lap, on the way back towards HPP before diverting out for the southern loop. It would have sooo easy just to ride home at that point. The second lap with the wind, was just hard. My back hurt. Paracetomal . Gels, High5. nothing helped.r It was really just a whole ride of crap!!Then it rained! Then it finished and I was as T2.6 hrs53. 18minutes slowerthan 2011.

T2. Hard to walk into transition. How could I walk out. But I did. Walk. My strategy had gone. It was walk run.The cheers were great but I was in a bad place.But I figured  still had over 8 hours. So I soldiered on. I felt at times that I was staggering all over the place, but kept moving forward. As the miles went the constant support from pirates lifted me. I ate at the food sations, mainly crisps and jaffa cakes and started to feel better. I thought of my promise to my daughter.Eventually I had 8mile to go and was catching someone I knew. A target. Keep going and I would get them. Then all of a sudden I was in front(they went to the loo!!) I only had 4 miles to go and I managed to run most if it. I passed 3 pirates on the home stretch(sorry don't know who but one sounded Irish)The finish was great. Soo much more satisfying than last year in a perverse sort of way. I had endured more, suffered more took 40minutes longer but I was happy

Cornish Digger    pirate
04/07/2012 at 22:23

Overall 13.41.44. 3 days later my calf still hurts. I will not run for a short while. I will NOT swim for a long while.  Will I be back. My OH says please NO!!  I say never say never. 

My thanks to all Pirates who cheered, shouted, bantered and kept me going. It really did make all the difference.  

04/07/2012 at 22:42
Great reports, keep them coming:0)
04/07/2012 at 22:48
Tough day out Digger the wind would have put at. Least 30 mins on most mortals times good effort mate .
Never say never a? Talk to Flowerpower shes organising 2014s outing
Lee the Pea    pirate
04/07/2012 at 23:05
Hahahaha, i knew it RBM, you'll be sucked in again i'm sure

Fab reports everyone, just shows what a tough day it is. Can't believe you vomited so much and managed to keep going FF :-O Eurghhhhh that lake sounds totally skanky!
Cornish Digger    pirate
04/07/2012 at 23:32

And where is the Naked Lady planning for 2014 RBM..

and yes Lea, the lake did smell a bit!!

Cornish Digger    pirate
04/07/2012 at 23:39

I would just add to my race report that somehow I managed a negative split on the run, albeit the run was 1 hour slower than my slowest standalone marathon, but a positive is a positive, if that sounds right!!

05/07/2012 at 06:28
Cornish i was trying to wind naked flower iron power lady or whatever shes called up deffo no IM or anything silly next year I want to do some cycle touring but 2024 is time to start ticking off my IM bucket list
Deffintely never to doubles and channel swims
Dubai Dave    pirate
05/07/2012 at 07:07
0600 1st July found me stood up to my neck in diluted Duck poo with 1000 Outlaws waiting for the hooter sound, 1000 pairs of feet had done a wonderful job of stirring up the sediment on the bottom of the ditch that is Holme Pierrepont National water sports centre and the resulting smell was so pungent as to make the temperature of the water a mere inconvenience. 1 , 2 , 3 and were off in the usual frenzy of arms, legs, gouging, kicks and punches that is a mass start in Triathlon.

Looking at the ditch the day before it had looked an awfully long way to the Orange marker at the turn point and so it proved to be and the smell of Duck poo was ever present, it was almost impossible to see the feet of the swimmer ahead through the green soup AKA water. Eventually I reached the turn and the long slog back to the other end of the ditch began, I wasn't swimming well and knew I was slow finally exiting the water in 1-30, the day could only get better. T1 took nearly 8 minutes as I attempted to weather proof this Dubai acclimatised body to the 12C air temperature, folks were sprinting out of transition with just a tri suit on, I had 3 layers, arm warmers, buff and beanie and was cold all day.

The cycle was pretty uneventful, the Northern loop which we rode first had a fair bit of traffic and the only hill of note which was in all honesty more of a pimple than a hill. I was passing folks all the time and the sheer number of Pirates both racing and supporting was truly inspiring and a welcome reminder that no one looks good in Yellow and Black lycra. By the time we reached the Southern loop the wind had picked up and some of the sections were hard but in general I was feeling pretty good. The Pirate feed station was a total Aaaaaaaaaargh fest and a real boost. On the second lap as I passed yet another Pirate this one said I'm Grant better known to you lot as MrZ. We had a quick chat before I pushed on, it was about now that the horizontal rain started, lovely. A final 5K over a speed hump infested drive and back into T2 in 6 hours 5 minutes. I was happy enough with that given the wind and that I was frozen for 6 hours. Three minutes later I was wearing trainers and apparently a runner though I'm not sure my legs agreed.

So just a marathon to run then, simples I've done over 40 of them before so what can go wrong? Straight out and around the lake / ditch, after 3 or 4 K mrZ came trotting by never to be caught again! I learnt at IM Austria last year that going out too hard was a recipe for disaster so I stayed in my ultra shuffle of around 6 min/K and shuffled on. The course was 4 laps of the ditch and 3 out and back legs to City hall along the Trent. The out and back legs were a great way top meet Pirates, though my supply of Go Pirates or Aaaargh was starting to run out. Unlike Austria I never stopped shuffling though it did get slower and eventually I entered the finish shoot in 4 - 38 my slowest ever marathon! Total time 12 hours 25 minutes and 31 seconds, 381st , almost identical to my IM Austria time.

Another IM done and for me the last one, there are other challenges to face and as long as I do the training don't have any mechanical issues on the bike or get injured I know that I can pretty well trot them out at will. It also confirmed what I already knew I'm better at the shorter distances. It was a fun day made better by all the Pirates around the course, can't say I'm as impressed by the UK road surfaces or the UK summer!
Dubai Dave    pirate
05/07/2012 at 07:11
Above was written for the 3-39 thread can't be bothered to change it. Am considering doing the Henley half next year just to get my quota of Aaaaaaarghs for 2013
seren nos    pirate
05/07/2012 at 07:54

some amazinh reports.....and the times are brilliant....................

i didn't notice anty duxk poo or smell when i was in the water saturday.........i thought it was clear...........maybe the noseclip helped mask the smell for me.......

121 to 140 of 522 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.
Forum Jump  

RW Forums