Outlaw 2013

761 to 780 of 2,491 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/10/2012 at 06:38

I've been super busy at work and totally exhausted whilst thinking I can't possibly train for this.

Does anyone know the max climb on the bike so I can go hunt some big hills as I think mine may be too small ....

seren nos yn canu    pirate
18/10/2012 at 08:01

climb..i thought it was flat :0

VT'd    pirate
18/10/2012 at 08:10

Its of the gradient and length that you wouldn't give a second's thought to if you came across it on a gentle training ride.  Nothing to head space and nothing to train especially for .

Doner Kebab    pirate
18/10/2012 at 08:13
I think you might find it'll be a different course next year
18/10/2012 at 08:39

I entered this because it was flat

Ironholgs    pirate
18/10/2012 at 09:02

It's not a hill, more of a speed bump.

It was the wind on the "fast" southern loop that was the killer this year.

It's too early to worry about cut offs, averages and all that bollocks. Just get as much cycling in as you can, road or turbo. Get used to your bike, get used to pedalling, get used to suffering.

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle"

Now go and become a sweaty Pixie.

18/10/2012 at 13:57
Cake wrote (see)

local speed bumps up here.  

18/10/2012 at 15:11

Wondering if I can get round on my bikes greaing , wil have to study both the gears and the numpty bike thread to figure out what I've got.

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 15:13
19/10/2012 at 13:33

anyone know when I should start nagging for a race place from the waitlist ?

it had better be flat, or ill be walking lots

Razor51    pirate
19/10/2012 at 13:46
If your on the list they will notify you when a space is available. There will be lots of drop outs like there was last year. ( me included).
TheEngineer    pirate
19/10/2012 at 13:50
AliBear30 wrote (see)

Wondering if I can get round on my bikes greaing , wil have to study both the gears and the numpty bike thread to figure out what I've got.

Unless you're riding fixed, it's almost certain you'll be able to get round. That's a personal guarantee

seren nos yn canu    pirate
19/10/2012 at 14:17

Ali...........i have no idea on bike gearing.couldn't tell you what mine is...............but its never good enough to get up the hills....but they could be getting unfair blame as i think the engine on the bike is crap

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
19/10/2012 at 15:16
Doner Kebab wrote (see)

dont want to sound mean but - its ironman, ffs, if you want the title do the training, if youre doing outlaw you have already paid, stop thinking about your average speed, highest speed, lowest possible speed i could get away with if just make the swim cut off. you got 8 months to improve, training = improvement most of the time, you will improve, so that shitty 12 mph average will be a 14 mph average and you will have spent xx hours worrying about nothing. stop writing on the forums and get in the gym, stop reading the responses to the threads and get in an extra 30 minutes sweat fest on the turbo - be an IRONMAN, train like you really want it, if youre that close to the cuts, train some more ( but dont forget rest days )

"Swim 2.4 miles Bike 112 miles Run 26.2 miles Brag for the rest of your life "
but do the fcking training first then worry the month before, youll be so knackered you wont give a shit and youll just want it over and then itll be too late.

rant over

Good post, you can either prepare to fail or prepare to succeed, 8 months is a hell of a long time and if you train hard you should have nothing to worry about. 

Outlaw bike course is pretty easy, there is nothing on the course to challenge you and even the wind isnt that bad (or I didnt find it to be), the wind/weather conditions could have been a lot worse.  There are no hills to speak of and the steep bit that appears on the profile takes about 30 seconds to get up, its not even 1:10.

As said, dont even think about 17 hours, thats for when the day goes wrong. 

If youre worried about your bike speed get out on your bike, ask yourself whether that 2 hour ride you did last weekend was enough, could you have done another hour, were you dead on your handlebars when you finished.  Have you been out on the bike/turbo'd twice this week? if not why not?

19/10/2012 at 16:16
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

I was assuming 13mph would be the lowest to go to as I'd be riding less in training that the 112m of Outlaw but then when running you run slower so I got confused!

The "lump" is a worry! It does look like crampons will be required - is it OK to walk up hills on an IM?!

Hey Pixie - don't worry about the "hill" - I live in the flat lands and can't do hills - just ask anyone who's been on a Surrey Hills jaunt with me!   And I got up it without getting off

Re speed - whilst fully appreciating Meldy (and other's) points about not chasing cut offs I think that if you are not a speedster it's a very good idea to have an idea of what you need as a minimum - FWIW I did and still do train at only 12 mph but had time to spare at Outlaw on the bike (not including time "gained" on the swim) - don't put too much pressure on yourself for speed

Doner Kebab wrote (see)

dont want to sound mean but - its ironman, ffs, if you want the title do the training, if youre doing outlaw you have already paid, stop thinking about your average speed, highest speed, lowest possible speed i could get away with if just make the swim cut off. you got 8 months to improve, training = improvement most of the time, you will improve, so that shitty 12 mph average will be a 14 mph average and you will have spent xx hours worrying about nothing. stop writing on the forums and get in the gym, stop reading the responses to the threads and get in an extra 30 minutes sweat fest on the turbo - be an IRONMAN, train like you really want it, if youre that close to the cuts, train some more ( but dont forget rest days )

"Swim 2.4 miles Bike 112 miles Run 26.2 miles Brag for the rest of your life "
but do the fcking training first then worry the month before, youll be so knackered you wont give a shit and youll just want it over and then itll be too late.

rant over

And in addition to the erudite comments above  remember that some people never get fast how much and how good their training is - some of just are just tortoises :0

Love a shitty 12 mph'er

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
19/10/2012 at 18:26

Podds I don't agree with your last point, there is no good reason preventing anyone getting fast. What limits us is ambition and commitment. I'm sure both you and I could easily add 2mph to our Ironman average bike speed if we tried.

Many people who are strong on the bike do 200 miles+ week in week out.  I'll wager youll stuggle to find anyone who regularly averages even 100 miles a week who isnt ok on the bike.

Edited: 19/10/2012 at 18:30
Doner Kebab    pirate
19/10/2012 at 22:53

my average biking this month is 1 minute a day, yep, you heard it right, i did a 20 minute spin on the 1st of the month, yes, im a lazy git but come december i will be putting the time in the saddle with the knowledge that the right training and commitment will get you through your event, so stop fretting and put in some easier sessions if thats what you need, it'll be all good on the day - you might not even have to climb that oxton bank

20/10/2012 at 08:13
Thank god you said that DK, I was getting worried that everybody was putting in killer pre base training at 36 weeks out but will out it down to those strange folk who actually ENJOY riding

I have no intention of getting back in the saddle until Dec 10th and the 30 week Fink countdown starts.

After my last race on Oct 7th I will be maintaining my running (half mara in Nov) and 1 swim per week. Other than that, enjoying the off season and maybe even the odd sleep in
20/10/2012 at 08:36

stanners - it is a good idea to have some down time and off season rest. Enjoy it

20/10/2012 at 10:02

Apologies if this topic is already buried somewhere in this thread.  Does anyone have ideas about how to fit in the Fink 1/2IM proposed as part of his training plan?

20/10/2012 at 11:44

LB, it has come up a few times with various suggestions put forward, not sure if any of them fit the exact date for the Fink plan though. Depending where your based, a number of us are planning on attending Silent Assassin's DIY Half IM. There is a thread for it on here.

I'm also struggling to find an Olympic with an OW swim that fits with the schedule.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.