Outlaw 2013

781 to 800 of 2,493 messages
20/10/2012 at 11:47
mathschick wrote (see)

stanners - it is a good idea to have some down time and off season rest. Enjoy it

Everytime I feel guilt, that is my "get out of jail" card. Thanks Mathschick

20/10/2012 at 11:50

stanners - I am pretty sure the elites have time out as well - I know I am nowhere near elite, but if it is good for them it must be good for us too

20/10/2012 at 12:07

Absolutely.

For those who have done Outlaw before, is this the campsite everyone is raving about?

http://www.nwscnotts.com/accommodation/

Rafiki    pirate
20/10/2012 at 12:43

Yep that's the one. Last year we grabbed an area for Pirate HQ - no doubt we'll do the same again.

There's a bar on site and a decent pub about 15 mins walk away - as long as you don't mention knowing Barlos, you'll be fine!

Iron Pingu    pirate
20/10/2012 at 14:44

Just don't stay up drinking the night before with Donar Kebab!

20/10/2012 at 15:05
Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)

LB, it has come up a few times with various suggestions put forward, not sure if any of them fit the exact date for the Fink plan though. Depending where your based, a number of us are planning on attending Silent Assassin's DIY Half IM. There is a thread for it on here.

I'm also struggling to find an Olympic with an OW swim that fits with the schedule.

Cheers Stanners,

I'll have a look at the Silent Assassins thread. I live in Edinburgh but it might be worth the trek down rather than do one on my own. I'll keep an eye out on the threads closer to the time

Rafiki    pirate
20/10/2012 at 15:17
Iron Pingu wrote (see)

Just don't stay up drinking the night before with Donar Kebab!

Now, who would be that stupid?!?!?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
20/10/2012 at 15:41

I know I just need to get on with it and not worry right now but as this is all totally new to me I don't want to screw up. I've never trained for tri before just done it.

I've only managed to follow a complete training plan once actually and that was the super six cock up!

I really want to have a good one and not get injured or miss cut offs so I guess I'm worrying.

I also know I am awful at hills on 2 feet and 2 wheels so it's sort of convidence too.

In brighter news I'm happy on the TT now and my TT pace is approx 4mph higher than the road but then my garage doesn't have wind etc!

Nurse Ratched    pirate
20/10/2012 at 16:10
Les boules wrote (see)
Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)

LB, it has come up a few times with various suggestions put forward, not sure if any of them fit the exact date for the Fink plan though. Depending where your based, a number of us are planning on attending Silent Assassin's DIY Half IM. There is a thread for it on here.

I'm also struggling to find an Olympic with an OW swim that fits with the schedule.

Cheers Stanners,

I'll have a look at the Silent Assassins thread. I live in Edinburgh but it might be worth the trek down rather than do one on my own. I'll keep an eye out on the threads closer to the time

I'm in the Borders - maybe we should organise a DIY half-jockman?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
20/10/2012 at 16:13

I'm more than likely doing a DIY Olympic and HIM where I do my OW swimbling - maybe with silver trucker

it's used for events so I know the run and bike route to make this work - only downside is no support

21/10/2012 at 14:02
There was a really interesting thread on here last year called something like Fink for Outlaw, where those who were following the Fink plan could help each other. I watched enviously from the sidelines and thought it was brilliant. Would there be interest in doing the same this year or just keep everything on this thread?

It is a hot topic for me. I have just done my first long run focusing on HR rather than speed. It was a set distance rather than time, which I know us wrong. I managed to keep my heart rate mostly in z2 and averaged 160bpm. I didn't even look at my time until I had finished and managed to knock 3 minutes off my best 18k time finishing in 1h:19min. I am putting this down to being able to look down at the Garmin and see I am allowed to push a little harder, e.g push another 5bpm.

I am obviously chuffed, anyone else had a similar experience?
Mr StOat    pirate
21/10/2012 at 14:41
I'm game for a fink thread. Maybe just at the time the 30 week plan starts.
Running Postie    pirate
21/10/2012 at 20:01
Go onto fatman to ironman thread, it's the new Fink in disguise
Britrisky    pirate
21/10/2012 at 21:46

I have Dec 16th etched in my head ...

I'm keen to dust off my heart monitor and see whether I can even run at z2. I'm the sort of person that likes being told what to do for how long and how hard, and fully intend to stick as closely to the intermediate plan as I possibly can.

21/10/2012 at 22:11
Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Podds I don't agree with your last point, there is no good reason preventing anyone getting fast. What limits us is ambition and commitment. I'm sure both you and I could easily add 2mph to our Ironman average bike speed if we tried. 

Hi Barley - I don't do enough structured cycle training I suspect to say 100% I couldn't get faster but if I look back at my running PBs my mins/mile for my 10K PB is frighteningly similar to the one for my marathon PB and that was despite event specific training including speedwork in each case

I've sort of assumed that cycling would be similar, for me at least, but this may not be the case - I do know that losing the lard would make me faster though

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are a BOPper it is way too easy to put too much pressure on yourself re speed as you are hyper-aware of cut offs and early on in the training season that can be really off putting and hit your motivation

For some people (me and I suspect EP) there is a need to have a realistic idea of your speed and what you need to make cut offs but without aiming to just duck inside them which I agree is not a good target to have per se

The Evil Pixie    pirate
22/10/2012 at 06:14

*nods head*

Well I went for a gentle potter this morning after finding a new bike max HR yesterday. Discovered that my walk run low HR run was actually z3 not z2 although I felt, at times, as if I was hardly breathing. z2 will be walking only

I need to know my abilities to reassure myself I can do this.  I don't want to take 17 hrs but realistically unless I lose 2-3st and get dramatically fitter the 16 is probably the best I could expect. But I'm going to work my hardest to get there. I so don't want a DNF

purpletrilady    pirate
22/10/2012 at 07:24

I didn't bother with zones during my first year. I has 8 months to build swimming, cycling and running from scratch. I live in an undulating area and my hr would often be at 90% max going up hills on the bike. My long runs would often be 75-80& max at the beginning.

What did happen though, is that with the training my working HR started to drop. So at first my long slow runs would be in the 150's and after 3/4 months the same run/speed my HR would be in the early 140's.

Personally I just think trying to keep in zones just adds an extra stress for slow beginners. I could easily train to Fink now, but not in my first year.

22/10/2012 at 09:41
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

I need to know my abilities to reassure myself I can do this.  I don't want to take 17 hrs 

I know what you're saying Pixie but I am soooooooooo glad I finished in the dark at the back of the field at Outlaw with everyone down on the carpet with me - just wouldn't have been the same in daylight with everyone sterilely behind the barriers..........

.........although it would have been nice at the same time to not have been quite so slow!!! 

22/10/2012 at 09:56

If there are any relay teams needing another person, let me know.  I would be quite happy to do this one as part of a team.  Will not be quite ready for the full distance by then

TheEngineer    pirate
22/10/2012 at 10:03
Dinky wrote (see)

If there are any relay teams needing another person, let me know.  I would be quite happy to do this one as part of a team.  Will not be quite ready for the full distance by then

Not with that attitude you won't!! Woman up and GET ready 

Seriously... 8 months is loads of time to get into Iron shape.  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.