Outlaw 2013

841 to 860 of 2,491 messages
25/10/2012 at 07:52
So I take it you don't book camping, just rock up? Planning on getting there Friday too. Will take a wonder over to the posh bit for a final charge of the Garmin...and maybe a cold beer or too!
25/10/2012 at 08:36

Southern Snail - I'm doing Frankfurt, then taking a week of before I start training.  I shall be doing more biking and swimming compared to the running stuff.

Can't remember if we booked campong before or just turned up, will check with himself as he normally organising that.

25/10/2012 at 08:36

EP - a year ago my slow pace was around 15/16 mm when I started using my heart rate monitor properly - it is now down to around 12/13 mm, so just stick with it

The Evil Pixie    pirate
25/10/2012 at 09:05

oh really maths? how quickly did it change? With Fink starting at 30mins that's like 2m and sad

pleased with my swim mind as that was 100 lengths and I need to do 160!!

25/10/2012 at 09:08

not sure really when it changed - it was just gradual really. I think when I started doing the other training too - bike and swim that really helped, and losing weight has helped too.

well done on the swim

25/10/2012 at 11:31

Never worked on HR as always find mine is higher than norm and i feel fine, do you think its worth trying and how would i go about it?

This could be the start of many questions

Doner Kebab    pirate
25/10/2012 at 12:37
It doesnt matter if u have a high or low average hr. You work out your xx% max and work from there, google hr training
25/10/2012 at 16:38

TL - you need to work out your max and your resting heart rate and make the caclulations from there. The resting hr is easy - wake up, put heart rate monitor on and lie back down again for a few minutes, do nothing. The lowest figure you see is your resting hr. Max is harder to work out. Basically go for a run and do flat out hill repeats, if you feel like puking you are about there. walk home....If you look on the training tab on here it tells you about it.  A few years ago I got the book 'Heart rate training for the compleat idiot', an easy read and useful. I am guessing Fink or Friel probably go into it as well

26/10/2012 at 12:12

Tar mathschick will sort that out when we get back from Frankfurt, oft now to catch a plaine

26/10/2012 at 12:44
Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)
There was a really interesting thread on here last year called something like Fink for Outlaw, where those who were following the Fink plan could help each other. I watched enviously from the sidelines and thought it was brilliant. Would there be interest in doing the same this year or just keep everything on this thread?

It is a hot topic for me. I have just done my first long run focusing on HR rather than speed. It was a set distance rather than time, which I know us wrong. I managed to keep my heart rate mostly in z2 and averaged 160bpm. I didn't even look at my time until I had finished and managed to knock 3 minutes off my best 18k time finishing in 1h:19min. I am putting this down to being able to look down at the Garmin and see I am allowed to push a little harder, e.g push another 5bpm.

I am obviously chuffed, anyone else had a similar experience?

And the penny drops, what I thought was 1 and 2 is in fact 3 and 4 in Fink terms, had the scale inversed. Explains the PB though

26/10/2012 at 17:33
And another thing...

Had a busy Friday afternoon at work transferring the intermediate swimming plan from the Kindle to a spreadsheet.

1) How the f//k is it possible to complete these sessions when lame swimming is limited to 1 hour?
2) Between sets, e.g "...8x 50m DR, 12 x 75m @ 20 sec, 12 x 50m @ 15 sec...", how much recovery time should there be between each set?

Any help out there. Not usually a worrier but this Fink malarkey has be in a twist
Running Postie    pirate
26/10/2012 at 17:58

Stanners it is hard getting the longer sessions in, I go to an outdoor pool from April-Sept that has a permnant lane in, its great when the weather is bad as it tends to be just me and other proper swimmers and triathletes. When its warm and there are loads of kids/grannies in the pool they soon get out of the lane as I have a mean kick.

My advice is,ask your local pool what are the quite times for open swimming and go then when there is no time restriction, most people respect swimmers doing lengths, if they don't and they stray in your path, make sure that they wont again.

26/10/2012 at 19:47

The current order for PSOF Kit from LG will be closed on 2nd Nov.  It is highly unlikely another order will go in before Outlaw 2013 so if you want kit please make your intention known on the PSOF Kit Thread

Please note that this means that you will have to know your sizes and have paid for the kit by close of play on 2nd Nov

04/11/2012 at 09:48
Cheshire Sportive 62miler and Slateman triathlon entered this morning as training days, how are everyone elses plans coming along?
citizen 146    pirate
04/11/2012 at 10:09

Looked at the Sandman on tv the other day it seemed fantastic. Saw the slateman also on tv and there was mention on a snowman?

Doing wimbleball as training and an end in itself, like to get round the run course without walking on the hill for 2 of the 3 circuits

M...eldy    pirate
04/11/2012 at 10:28

Stanners .. just lurking, the hour limit notwithstanding, the common problem I see and especially with people on this forum is that the swim sets are targetted at a fairly high ability and getting them done within the constraints of Fink itself are hard let alone if you have pool constraints as well .... dont worry about fitting the sets in and swim by time prescribed

04/11/2012 at 15:52

Cheers M...eldy, glad I'm not the only one who will be looking at the swim sessions and thinking they are "man from Atlantis" territory.

Citizen146, I did the Sandman in September (and even got my mug on the box), it was brilliant, the Always Aim High events come highly recommended.

seren nos    pirate
04/11/2012 at 16:02

looking for some winter/ spring sportives near south wales/ west/ gloucester way and failing at the moment...............

thinking of doing the l;ittle woody in august as a recovery race before IMW

The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/11/2012 at 16:14

I'll be doing the sessions in Fink but not the times!! I'm about 44mins for a mile just now so 30mins aint happening any day soon!

04/11/2012 at 16:26

FWIW I loosley followed Fink last year doing relay for Outlaw. I shortened the Fink swim sessions down to fit an hour by reducing all parts of it. From April I did one OW swim a week and one or two pool sessions, gradually building distance to 3000m by end of May. I surprised myself by coming out of the water in 1:43 on race day as had been thinking more 1:50/1:55.

I am doing Outlaw Half this year and will be basing my training on Fink again.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.