Outlaw 2013

881 to 900 of 2,495 messages
M...eldy    pirate
13/11/2012 at 19:55

I've been to The Falklands and agree with Flyers, you are entering their winter period and the weather will be verging on the appalling .... there is (surprisingly) some stunning scenery so running will be good, Mousers is also correct in as much as you train so that the first week is a recovery week

I would also say that unless times have changed, which is very possible since I did National Service then for very good reasons you will get very little down time so dont bank on getting too much training done

All things considered, its an opportunity not to miss and not one that will interrupt Outlaw training if you are smart

13/11/2012 at 21:10
Do keep in mind that when Meldy did National Service it was bows and arrows and the fleet used sails and oars.

M...eldy    pirate
13/11/2012 at 21:38

I can still deliver a killer blow you know !!

13/11/2012 at 22:53

Bearing in mind National Service ended in 1960.  

Only saying!  Nothing to see here, move along now!  

13/11/2012 at 22:59

*comes out of lurking to snigger*

Dustboy    pirate
13/11/2012 at 23:12

Meldy admits to National Service? Crikey. I think even Plum is too young for that...

PSC    pirate
13/11/2012 at 23:17
Or is Meldy an Argie?
seren nos    pirate
14/11/2012 at 07:40

Not sure about the falklands.but i'm feeling freezing here today.......and its mild.......not sure whats going on.must be because i'm reading about snow and ice.

Ironholgs    pirate
15/11/2012 at 08:49

Wasn't Meldys national service done in the "Troop entertainment division" ?

15/11/2012 at 08:58
'Who do you think you are kidding Mr. H...' Oh no, hang on, that's Dads Army! Melds wasn't about at that time, surely?!
21/11/2012 at 09:49

So when are all the Fink followers planning to start training?

10th of December or are you going for an earlier date to give you some leeway for lifes little emergencies?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
21/11/2012 at 10:14

I've been doing a similar amount of stuff as the 1st couple of weeks not worrying if I miss sessions (eg gave blood which had a greater impact than normal) but I'm officially starting on the 10th

Oh and I'm getting a bit of very infrequent swim help so following his swim sessions instead of Fink

21/11/2012 at 10:19

10th of December for me, but doing some training now as carp on the bike and the OH keeps nagging me.

As I only work 10mins down the road by car and OH works away from home most weeks for a few days (not that it would make a difference as he make me train anyway), I shouldn't have any issues with being able to train per the schedule. 

Now to find the energy levels to do the training.  Did a swim this morning and I'm hungry and have eaten my snacks.

Stoatally Different    pirate
21/11/2012 at 11:15
I'm also starting on the 10th. Looking forward to it actually. I've been tackling #turbovemver this month so it's been handy aking sure I manage the daily sessions. I've been fitting a bit of running and swimming in too. I should be at masters swim on Friday, hoping that I've had that eureka moment - although it will probably just go horribly wrong now I've said that
21/11/2012 at 11:18
10 Dec for me, having said that I'm doing plenty of training at the moment, just need to add another swim session and build up length of long ride and i will be at finks peak weeks.

Might need to find another schedule that starts off with more hours than fink.
21/11/2012 at 11:40

yep, 10th December for me. got the Fink plan all typed up into Excel and ready to post up in various places to remind me what i'm supposed to be doing on what day/week.  Never been this organised before.....

If anyone wants a copy then just message me on here and I'll send it on.  It's for the Competitive Plan (aim high that's what i say )

The Evil Pixie    pirate
21/11/2012 at 12:09

I'm doing the just finish plan and have been getting up at 5 most days just to get into the habit.

there have been a few occasions when I have been exhausted and thought how am I going to do this?

21/11/2012 at 12:16

As ever I've spent hours over analysing this one,

I'd like to have started early so I can repeat any weeks as necessary, training off plan in advance doesn't give you that chance.

But I'm doing Outlaw 1/2 which is after when the fink plan says to do a half, I also notice he tapers a tad into the half so I'm going to have to switch that around a bit some how. Maybe skip the taper ala fink and then do that taper the week before outlaw half and pray skipping it the earlier bit doesn't make a more than 10% training jump?

Recovering still from marathon means earliest I could start is Dec 3rd so I may start then but then what happens if I don't have to miss any weeks? How will I move things around? I 'm aware of the if you miss 1 session just move on which is what I plan to do so in that case do I really need to start early?

Arghh is all I can say! Confuzzled bear as ever.  Hence I may go with the masses which so far is start on the 10th  At least I'll then know we're all suffering together.

Edited: 21/11/2012 at 12:17
21/11/2012 at 16:15

Hi all. I was going to follow the middle plan but was a bit worried that it starts with 6hours a week. I did 6 hours last week but really did b*gger all. The problem with using time is that if you're at the slower end of things you're not getting much done. I was thinking therefore of just carrying on fitting things in when I can. I thought 3/4 bikes rides, 3 runs and 2 swims in a week, getting a longer session in as the weeks progress. If I start now then I don't need to worry too much about a holiday Next year I can add a third swim and go open water. Does this all sound very naive as i've never done this sort of thing before

21/11/2012 at 16:27

SS - I too am at the slower end of things and am currently training around 9 hrs a week but i'm going to drop back to 6 for the start of the Fink plan.  I had a good look at the plan again last night and it soon starts to ramp up the hours.  I've never done an IM before so on this occasion i'm going to ' do as I'm told' by Fink and see where that gets me.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.