Outlaw 2013

901 to 920 of 2,493 messages
Britrisky    pirate
21/11/2012 at 20:20
Ooer - glad I dropped by, because I'd planned to start on 16th, but glad to be corrected on that one. Had to have started having a play catch up right at the beginning!

10th isn't that far away, is it? Really looking forward to having a structure to get me back on track
The Evil Pixie    pirate
22/11/2012 at 06:20

SS Nver been a slim runner so assume that lard lose will make me faster! LOL!

JvR
22/11/2012 at 07:45

10th December start with Fink's Just Finish plan for me.
Have been getting bits of training done in order to keep the fitness levels up, mainly swimming and a few turbo sessions.

Have a session with the physio at work today to check out my left leg/knee to make sure that its up to all of the training. I don't want to get 8 weeks from the Outlaw and end up pulling out again because my knee might give in on the day. Just hoping that I've not overdone it with the strengthening exercises and the left leg is now stronger than the right leg.

22/11/2012 at 08:37

This is all new to me too, but as i was out of shape i decided to extend the base stage of the fink plan, having done 4-5 weeks i can say you don't need to worry about speed it will come naturally as you train. Three weeks in after i had added time and seen little/no improvment i was starting to worry that i had not done enough, then in a week my run pace picked up by 2.5km per hour at the same effort level. I've seen a few people say it takes 6 weeks for your training to have an effect so stick with it.

Good luck to all of you doing outlaw this year, i bottled it and went for the half IM, which may well have turned its self into 2 halfs. Will hopefully be joining those who do outlaw in 2014.

22/11/2012 at 09:08

Hello all,

Me too at the slower and heavier side of  things.  Training in all three at the mo but not at any intense pace, just to keep things ticking over for when it does all start going a bit mental.

I think I'm going to be ok at the swim and the run will be a crawl to the finish, my issue is the bike, not having learnt as a kid and learning now is a tad stupid me thinks, but a can now ride it, just need to get on the road and play with the traffic.

Anyone else coming fron a not so good bike side of things?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
23/11/2012 at 06:54

I'm very slow! I'm decided to run at low Z3 as Z2 is walking as I also have a silly HR

Currently getting up at 5 and doing 30-40 mins most mornings. Did 2.5k in the pool last night (over and hr) and was too tired and achy to get up today

Going to do a longer run tomorrow I hope.

I'm starting on the 10th officially, just doing stuff now. I know if I get to the run I will finish but I'm a slow swimmer and slower on the bike. Being lardy makes the bike harder and slower too but my attempts to shift some since entering Outlaw have been a massive fail!

IronCat5    pirate
23/11/2012 at 08:23

Good luck all

The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

I'm very slow! I'm decided to run at low Z3 as Z2 is walking as I also have a silly HR

Give Z2 a chance! You'll find that you start to get a lot quicker in a short time. You'll need to keep it in Z2 to keep the load on your body low during the first few weeks as you ramp the training.

What is your MHR (and RHR if you know it)?

23/11/2012 at 09:27
TJ1004 wrote (see)

Tired Legs, i am at the slow heavy end of things but 30 weeks can do wonders (fingers crossed), plus i have a good mentor to guide me in the right direction.

cant wait for the 10th to be honest, just ticking over at the moment.

Agree I just want the 10th to get here and get on with it, although will carry on training at low intensity till then.

Will sort out my watch for HR as the battery has died.

Rest day here for me and OH is taking me out on the bike tomorrow = I'm gonna die.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
23/11/2012 at 13:01

Ironcat Z2 sees me doing 15-16mm pace so mainly walking

my RHR is 47 (has been as low as 42 in the past) and I have a known max of 205 without having got to the puking stage.

I'm currently walking at 169-170 so average about 166 over 30-45mins so that means I'm doing 3m! Never been speedy anyway but walking more than running (and I'm in an undulating area) is too depressing for words

IronCat5    pirate
23/11/2012 at 13:25

Similar HR figures to me then EP. 153-175 is typically Z2.

I'm no biologist or doctor, but walking at ~170bpm would suggest your MHR is extremely high, or something isn't working...how fast were you going at 205? What is your HR like on a turbo? What HR monitor are you using?

seren nos    pirate
23/11/2012 at 13:41

i was over 210 for the first 1/2 a mile of a race recently and when i tried some a few sprint intervals in training managed 196.............

but i find that i can run slowly at about 170 for walking sounds incredibly high....i was worried about mine

23/11/2012 at 15:42

EP  I vaguely followed the Hadd method at the beginning of the year after a 3 month layoff which was to run at 75%? of max so I was shuffling at 14-15mm. I kept at this for a while as I didn't want to bring back foot injury and it did get quicker. My long runs(actually all of them because there's no difference for me for long and recovery!!) are now done at about 10.45 - 11mm and at, or just above, 75% of max. Just done a marathon with a pb of 4hr 21 so 10mm. The problem is it does take a while, so maybe you should just run at a comfortable talking pace. As an ironman virgin I can only assume endurance is key rather than speed.(Providing that equals less than 17 hours)

23/11/2012 at 15:45

Starting my adjested 'PLAN' on monday so Ill be able to adjsut for illness/injury and still be peaking late june (to accomodate the Outlaw half I am in  and the outlaw full i hope to be in)

add a half marathon, pirate diy half and a couple of duathlon/aquathons to hone race day technique, i might actually make it happen

IronLard. you saw it here first. ( dont Iron Lard, its quite messy when you do )

23/11/2012 at 15:46

yes, adjested. you have to laugh when 'planning' to complete this sort of thin. my OH is convinced its a long suicide attempt

The Evil Pixie    pirate
23/11/2012 at 16:51

It wasn't 100% walking it was walk run but at 14-15mm pace I might as well have walked

My normal running pace when fit is about 12-12:30mm and 180

I have a garmin

I've only run "fast" once which was a 1m race at 8:55 maxed at 198 then,

did 201 in a tempo run later that same month (2008 when I was really fit, running daily to forget my grandma had cancer), 202 interval training in the July, 200 in a 10K race in the July

can't find the 205 but it was on a tready doing a MHR test, saw 203 in a 5m XC race going up a very steep hill

Never once have I got to the puke stage so it must be higher

23/11/2012 at 17:04

EP - when I first started running to heart rate I was doing 15/16 min pace, a year later and I am more like 13 min miles, so just keep at it and it works. Who cares how slow it is? Going too fast will be counter-productive in the long run, and you will end up too worn out to do the other sessions and your running pace won't get any quicker. 

23/11/2012 at 17:21

I Fink, therefore I am (dead slow). I'm following Fink to the letter. Ego left at the door type stuff. I even (accidentally on purpose) left my retro Garmin 301 in the portaloos last month at the Toronto marathon, so my only guide shall be the cheapo Decathlon HRM. Because it's all about the HR, the 220 minus age thing is not terribly accurate, and might underestimate your zones. This article is excellent on how to calculate your real training zones. The HR test is pretty hellish, (I needed a couple of days to get over the trauma), but it works.

http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_factsheets/constant/heartrate.htm

JvR
23/11/2012 at 17:30

I did the Functional Threshold Heart Rate test from Going Long which gave me the values that I'm using for my zones on my Garmin.
I've done a couple of runs recently where I tried to stay in zone 2 and it seemed to work because I wasn't walking but running at a comfortable pace, not particularly fast.
Up I did the FTHR the only way that I could stay in zone 2 was to walk.

23/11/2012 at 19:30
JvR wrote (see)

I did the Functional Threshold Heart Rate test from Going Long which gave me the values that I'm using for my zones on my Garmin.
I've done a couple of runs recently where I tried to stay in zone 2 and it seemed to work because I wasn't walking but running at a comfortable pace, not particularly fast.
Up I did the FTHR the only way that I could stay in zone 2 was to walk.

Hmm, looks good. I'll see how I get on with the calculated thresholds but if I'm walking to stay in Z2 I'll defo be looking at the FTHR.

Edited: 23/11/2012 at 19:31
The Evil Pixie    pirate
24/11/2012 at 12:03

to whoever posted that link ....

A couple of weeks ago I hit 191 on my bike, so assuming running is 10 beats higher this gives me 201. When I hit 191 I was breathing like a steam train and legs would function no more so pretty close to max!

Using the formula on that link gives me 163 as the top of Z2 and 173 top of Z3.

So my recent averages of 166 aren't bad! Then I walked as I hit 170 so if I walk a few beats sooner I should average Z2.

Happier now

My concern had been very much doing long runs but getting nowhere. I saw a 3hr run being a max of 14-15m and my running head said you can't do a mara with that as a max. But I guess IM is a totally different beast.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.