Outlaw 2013

981 to 1,000 of 2,493 messages
11/12/2012 at 13:12
seren nos wrote (see)

before you know it you are stuffing yourself silly..

so my advise to those who have a little problem with the weight.....just .......

be sensible...........

Sensible - Ironman - contradiction ?

PSC    pirate
11/12/2012 at 22:21

my training has started well... nearly at 1 bottle of red a night!

seren nos    pirate
12/12/2012 at 08:13

I am being sensible this year for my IM training......honest..its going to be slow consistent training.......

12/12/2012 at 12:36

Week 1 and very hungry, but do need to lost a bit of weight.  I think its the swimming that's making me hungry.

Day 3 another swim and will run tonight.

Will I ever get used to these early mornings.

Britrisky    pirate
12/12/2012 at 13:26

Are you drinking enough TL? I've learned that a lot of my hunger pangs are actually thirst, especially after I've been swimming - either that or I'm drinking carbohydrated water!!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
12/12/2012 at 14:12

I 2nd hunger post swimming being thirst

12/12/2012 at 19:13

That could be it as I also had a bit of a headache today.  OK will try and drink more water.

Hope trainings going well for everyone.

OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
13/12/2012 at 23:35
I find swimming really draining..... Even though it does not feel like,'proper' exercise.....

Seren... Nice attitude..... Build slowly and consistently......

Saw an email today about those on the waiting list maybe getting an email over xmas.

#undecidedButOhErrrrrMaybe
OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
13/12/2012 at 23:44
Re weight loss....

Well i was a fit bloke (2 halfs the year before) and i lost a stone in my first IM year.
Sounds good eh?

However i have lost nothing in the next 2 years despite training more.

Also many lady pirates report losing no weight...... They are way fitter and things get redistributed, but if you exercise like a horse you eat like a horse.... And horses dont lose weight.

So dont under eat. that way leads to feeling like shit and falling apart
Dont overeat. yes you are exercising lots but do you really need that chocolate muffin. is an apple a better idea?

On long bike rides, eat/ drink regularly. you are fuelling for the ride and getting used to fuelling for a subsequent run as well.....
PSC    pirate
14/12/2012 at 07:04
Many lose weight when the bike miles go up. Toning will certainly be evident though as training progresses. It's long and slow stuff that burns fat. Short fast efforts burn glycogen. And it's fat burning that you should be training for as that will fuel your race.
14/12/2012 at 20:11
Yea! I'm excited at the news that all us wait listers may get in to the race after all. I'm on the list since the day after it sold out. Was going to stay on the short courses this year if I did not get in to Outlaw. Now I'm suddenly looking forward to going long again.

O.C speaks sense (as usual!) about finding a balance to your eating, I under ate last year trying to lose a few pounds as the race loomed, and quickly felt like shit then fell apart!

So many things to do differently this time round, can't wait!
meface    pirate
14/12/2012 at 23:23

They did a double blind test with two groups who had no idea why they were being tested. One group did swimming the other running then they reversed. After training they provided a free buffet and used hidden cameras to record what people ate. The swimmers always ate more.

They have no real cuase but did wonder if swimming lowered core body temperature by a fraction and so human need says get food now to rev the engine.

So swimming probably does make you hungrier than running but you don;t always need the intake.

15/12/2012 at 08:21

I think I read somewhere that doing easyish exercise makes you feel hungry, whereas if the exercise is more intense/harder you tend not to feel hungry afterwards. I know when I am swimming it generally does not feel as hard as when I run, (the exception would be coached sessions where we are doing some kind of speed thing). Can't remember where I read that though

IronCat5    pirate
15/12/2012 at 09:30
I often feel sick after a track session or hard run. Though the XC league does put on a good buffet... I eat loads then suffer GI issues all afternoon.
TheEngineer    pirate
15/12/2012 at 09:31
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
I often feel sick after a track session or hard run. Though the XC league does put on a good buffet... I eat loads then suffer GI issues all afternoon.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/Bristol_Stool_Chart.png

15/12/2012 at 09:33

Now thats an image I hadnt planned on this morning. And instantly, im trying to recal my last deposit........

TheEngineer    pirate
15/12/2012 at 09:35

Last time I floated one off to Tilbury it was a very satisfying 3. I've just finished the morning coffee, so I'll be taking advantage of the office facilities shortly.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/12/2012 at 11:40

Whilst eating my toast and marmite this morning I was pondering.

I've heard the term that the bike section of an IM can be like a buffet use it to refuel from the swim and prepare for the run. Now I wondered marmite is salty ... bread is carbs ... bagels low GI slow release fuel. Therefore would a toasted bagel with marmite be good on the bike? Or do I need high GI foods (I had mini malt loaf on my half)?

seren nos    pirate
16/12/2012 at 13:34

i have had cheese and marmite sandwiches................in the past i have not really gone very technical on the bike....i have chosen foods that i like so i will be tempted by them and ones that are cheap...........and ones that don't cause stomach problems

might start to look at it a bit more technically this year

PSC    pirate
16/12/2012 at 14:08

Is there a right and wrong type of stool?  Clearly type 7 is a little unfortunate... but of the others, I wonder what might cause such clearly defined structures!

On more 'on topic' note... what events are people doing in the build up to Outlaw...  This is my list so far...  

Winter Tanners (Run)
Punchbowl (Run)
Thanet 20 (Run)
Hell of Ashdown (Bike)
King of the Downs (bike) 
7 Oaks Circular (Run)
LDWA SD Mara (Run
Kent Castles 100 (Bike)
Chiltern 100 (Bike)
SD Mara (Run)

And I am looking for more to do.... God the LDWA otherwise I would be broke.  But there are some bike gaps in there and I am on the lookout for long bike rides in the locality of Kent/Sussex/Essex.... might stretch to Surrey at a pinch.  I need to squeeze a half IM in there somewhere too...  where is the DIY thread?  

981 to 1,000 of 2,493 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.