Outlaw 2013

1,021 to 1,040 of 2,493 messages
seren nos    pirate
19/12/2012 at 22:22

mine was averaging 12 mph  on the road.but i did do all my long rides on my own.........I would try and not do all your long rides with a friend or with a group as ypou can be pulled along and then when it gets tough in the race you are not used to having to battle on your own.......

i was riding faster for wales in training but still managed to fail on the day........

so the better you train the more leeway you have incase things go wrong...

PSC    pirate
19/12/2012 at 22:26

tragically 'on the day' stuff happens... but generally speaking it doesn't.  Lots of slow training typically leads to good racing.  Training on your own is better than training in a group - as Seren rightly says, you get pulled along in a group.  IM is about your own efforts, not those of the big-quadded-macho-type at the front of the chain gang.  Any twerp can ride for hours looking through the lycra at the crack in front of them.  Only aspiring Ironmen can ride for 8 hours on their own and still cook dinner for the family when they get home!  

20/12/2012 at 08:06

I am glad you have said that about training solo as I will be doing just about all my bike and run training solo - it is just easier to fit it in and still get to see the family that way. If I head out alone I can go really early, rides with the tri club don't start till 9 or 10, so they take most of a precious weekend day which leaves OH and kids sulking! I think it develops mental strength too, which has got to be a large part of the day - being able to carry on when you feel tired and fed up

is it naughty that I am posting on this thread when I am not doing the ful outlaw this year? run section as a relay team but I am doing the outlaw half by myself! I am guessing no-one is going to get upset about it!

20/12/2012 at 08:21
mathschick wrote (see)

is it naughty that I am posting on this thread when I am not doing the ful outlaw this year? run section as a relay team but I am doing the outlaw half by myself! I am guessing no-one is going to get upset about it!

And if they do get upset bollox to them

Britrisky    pirate
20/12/2012 at 08:24
No, because you'll be doing Outlaw in 2014!
20/12/2012 at 08:31
Britrisky wrote (see)
No, because you'll be doing Outlaw in 2014!

certainly am

IronCat5    pirate
20/12/2012 at 08:58
mathschick wrote (see)

I think it develops mental strength too, which has got to be a large part of the day - being able to carry on when you feel tired and fed up

The mental side is a huge part of the day. You'll learn to box the chimp - probably by going out for a huge 7 hour loop on the bike, and having a mental wobble about half-way. Just man up and get on with it. MTFU is a very overused phrase around here, but that it pretty much what it boils down to. Nothing is impossible, and if you make it to the start line, the war is almost over, just a minor skirmish to win

Nurse Ratched    pirate
20/12/2012 at 10:40

I am feeling hugely inspired!

seren nos    pirate
20/12/2012 at 11:19

earlier thisyear i went out at 6 pm for a bike ride........it was to be an all night ride and i left my car with my mother incase of mechanicals...............i cycled all the way to church stretton 80 miles away..... it was around midnight...............i turned to return home and the heavens opened............it was freezing driving rain that soaked you to the skin........and I had 80 miles to cycle and i was already tired .........

but each tiem i thought of phoning my mother to pick me up i talked myself out of it and i arrived home 6 or 7 in the morning..............I think it was that ride that gave me the strength to finish the double

so much is in the head

Rafiki    pirate
20/12/2012 at 11:28
seren nos yn canu wrote (see)

so much is in the head

Ans its soooo frightening what's in your head!!

seren nos    pirate
20/12/2012 at 11:57

with that remark rafiki..........I am off to bed

IronCat5    pirate
20/12/2012 at 12:38
seren nos yn canu wrote (see)

with that remark rafiki..........I am off to bed

He does have a point though...

seren nos    pirate
20/12/2012 at 16:08

How do you boys know whats in my head..it could be nude piccies of male pirates in just swim goggles

M...eldy    pirate
20/12/2012 at 18:48

Not even your mind could be *that* bad ....

PSC    pirate
20/12/2012 at 21:11

a couple of long and hilly cyclosportives will also give you the mental strength to do race day.  The lumpier the better.  Yes it will hurt and be slow, but when you turn up the outlaw ride you will know that you get smash a long and hilly ride - so a long and flat ride on race day is going to be a doddle.  

Oh, and you don't have to ride through the rainy night like Seren - that's just plain daft!

seren nos    pirate
21/12/2012 at 08:01

it was apropriate for the race.....and as you won't be cyclinbg at night in Ironman wouldn't be appropriate for IM training.........

but its the same thing..when you want to bail out because you are tired.........then try and keep going.................and i mean tired not ill..illness needs to be asesssed diffferently 

PSC    pirate
22/12/2012 at 21:23

where is everyone... I don't believe everyone is out training - not in this weather!  Shopping perhaps? 

22/12/2012 at 21:29
Did 9 miles running this morning, tomorrow's 5 will take me over 30 for the week
IronCat5    pirate
22/12/2012 at 21:44
Wet parkrun this morning. PB'd too!
seren nos    pirate
22/12/2012 at 21:50

Pb'd in this weather.you weren't at our muddy one then

congratulations

1,021 to 1,040 of 2,493 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.