Outlaw 2013

1,361 to 1,380 of 2,491 messages
08/03/2013 at 16:32
I've got a few OW swims before July so shouldn't be a drama. I was taking it easy which is a bonus. The water should be warm enough I hope come race day. Cannot be doing with a DNF to my race history!
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
09/03/2013 at 22:25

Its a nice swim at Outaw, my advice would be start in the lest pen (whatever your ability) and swim up the left side using the bank as a sighting point, you wont need to sight ahead just keep far left 20 foot from the bank.  Youll know youre to close when your knuckles graze on the gravel bottom

09/03/2013 at 22:42
What is the difference between the different starts and does it get taken into account that you are starting later, not that I'm plannin to take 17 hours of course. It's my first IM so will probably start later to be in the safe side as I'm not fussed about time, just finishing
09/03/2013 at 23:33

Everyone starts at the same time, you just start in different pens based on your ability.

Taken from last year race info;

The Swim 2.4 Miles
The swim will take place in the manmade lake at the National Water Sports Centre. All swimmers will be required to pass over a check mat before starting the swim. The check mat will be positioned on the left hand side as you look at the lake. All swimmers will need to pass the check mat by 5.50am, this point will be open from 5.30am.

The swim will start in the water using the whole width of the boat house end.
This means that the swim start will be approximately 90 metres wide. There are 4 separate bays in which you can start. We are recommending the following for the 4 bays. Bay 1 – swimmers under 60 minutes / Bay 2 – swimmers between 60 – 80 minutes / Bay 3 – swimmers between 80 – 100 minutes /Bay 4 – swimmers over 100 minutes.

I was a 60-80 min swimmer, but I started at the back of bay 1 (sub 60) and had a pretty uneventful swim. this is what I think Bouncing Barlist is saying.

The difference between my Outlaw swim and my 3.8k pool time trials;
Outlaw - 68:09
Pool - average 70:09
My ow practice I was doing about 71-72 mins, but I think  that was down to it being too cold for me. On the day at HP the water was nice.

Edited: 09/03/2013 at 23:48
Dustboy    pirate
09/03/2013 at 23:52

Ozzy, I was last swimmer out last year (ha ha) and I started in the slowest part of the slowest bay. It's such a long swim, I don't think it makes that much difference having an extra ten yards or whatever to go. Think I came in about 1.40, which was fine by me.

And as Barlos says, use the left bank for sighting as well as the big yellow thing in the sky at the end of the lake.

Mind you, it did get a bit choppy on the way back.

My overwhelming memory of the swim was the taste of duck shit which seemed to have all been blown down to the start and mixed with a thousand peoples piss and farts. It was a little ripe.

10/03/2013 at 08:16
Dustboy wrote (see
My overwhelming memory of the swim was the taste of duck shit which seemed to have all been blown down to the start and mixed with a thousand peoples piss and farts. It was a little ripe.

10/03/2013 at 09:54
Bay 3 sounds good to me. Can't wait to chew on some duck poo! Anyone got any thoughts on what middle distance they are doing as the last prep race?
BluePeter    pirate
10/03/2013 at 10:45
Ozzy, I'm doing the pirate DIY half organised by silent assassin;

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/triathlon/pirate-diy-half-im-the-second-coming/202383-20.html

This will be my first tri, the next one I do will be outlaw
The Evil Pixie    pirate
10/03/2013 at 13:06
Dustboy wrote (see)

Ozzy, I was last swimmer out last year (ha ha) and I started in the slowest part of the slowest bay. It's such a long swim, I don't think it makes that much difference having an extra ten yards or whatever to go. Think I came in about 1.40, which was fine by me.

And as Barlos says, use the left bank for sighting as well as the big yellow thing in the sky at the end of the lake.

Mind you, it did get a bit choppy on the way back.

Cheers Dusty that sounds err lovely! Can't wait!

I shant be doing any Tri events - I have a sportive next month and the 5K swimathon next month, I will do my own DIY HIM as where I swim is also where I did my HIM last year so I know the course!

10/03/2013 at 13:47
The duck poo and piss hot tub at the start was a classic the rsst of the swim is great for first timers just like a huge outdoor pool
The first year they ran outlaw there was a weed infestation it was like swimming through grass they seem to have that one sorted though!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
10/03/2013 at 14:06

where I swim at Market Bosworth has had problems with weed - I had it stuck to my googles on more than 1 occassion including mid race.

They also have HUGE fish which are literally 15" long or more. A couple of swans/ducks live in the island in the middle of the lake but never bother the swimmers.

Iron Pingu    pirate
10/03/2013 at 22:22

I punched a swan during the swim, that'll teach 'em to poo everywhere!

The Silent Assassin    pirate
12/03/2013 at 09:08

I seem to remember a swan using Meldys back as a take off ramp

Edited: 12/03/2013 at 09:08
12/03/2013 at 12:20

Duck shit? Can't wait.  Last time i did the Vit it was knee deep in shit at the start.

PSC    pirate
19/03/2013 at 05:46

duck poo capital is the lake @ Cowman.  The fermenting of the poo keeps the lake warm.

M...eldy    pirate
19/03/2013 at 05:50
The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

I seem to remember a swan using Meldys back as a take off ramp

That is so very true!   It was most surreal loking up and back to take a breath and seeing a huge pair of orange feet running over me !!

20/03/2013 at 13:49

Did that put you off Meldy?! I would proabbly drown of shock from that! lol

seren nos    pirate
20/03/2013 at 13:54
GingerG wrote (see)

when the swan saw Meldys stare then I'm sure it must have drowned from shock 

The Silent Assassin    pirate
20/03/2013 at 16:57
seren nos wrote (see)
GingerG wrote (see)

when the swan saw Meldys stare then I'm sure it must have drowned from shock 

I think most of us have at some time seen that stare!!!!!!!

M...eldy    pirate
20/03/2013 at 18:07

That one?   

1,361 to 1,380 of 2,491 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.