Outlaw 2013

161 to 180 of 2,491 messages
25/07/2012 at 21:23
I'm with him on the question. Sadly I won't be in Lanza
WildWill    pirate
25/07/2012 at 21:28
Neither will I ... So the championship should be in IMCH I may have a chance with just a couple of us
M...eldy    pirate
25/07/2012 at 21:29

Red Dog I think you need to email someone at RW these days ...the best way to attract their attention is probably to set fire to RW towers whilst stripping off and singing 'The HIlls are alive'

The lesser option which might take a bit longer to get noticed is just to report this thread to a moderator (there is a button below) and explain that you would like a piratey sign please   

PSC    pirate
25/07/2012 at 21:37

LOL... thanks, I hadn't realised that it would be a flatter than a flat thing (compared to some).  Liking it already.  I am sure the Jet Stream will be better behaved next year and there will be a light cooling breeze only.

Barley, sorry mate I cross posted with you as I've been off noshing on a BBQ so didn't see your thoughts until just now....  My thoughts on the European races are yes, agree with you totally about the big ticket experience - I certainly loved Zurich and Copenhagen (although missed the PSOF support at the latter).  I can also vouch for the "challenge" experience versus the "Ironman" experience. The Challenge family put on a hell of good race which bodes very well for Henley - but, frankly, for me at least it's down to money.  I haven't done a tri this year as I can't afford to - and next year I am looking for the best value which I reckon is going to be outlaw.  It is a bloody well organised race and £100 cheaper to enter than Henley, and more still in comparison to an M. branded race.  The fact that both Henley and Outlaw are going to be well supported and have large teams racing is a real bonus - dare I postulate that there could be a small fleet of Pirate Ships now as there really are quite a few of us racing in yellow n black and we can therefore support 2 or 3 big turnouts at full distance per year.  Christ, can you imagine if we all went to the same place/race... that would be about 350 peeps racing and 1000+ supporters.  TriTalkers would piss their pants in panic at the total domination we could offer........................  LETS DO IT! 

Edited: 25/07/2012 at 21:39
Dustboy    pirate
25/07/2012 at 21:37

PSC, I've got it on Garmin 800 no idea how to get it freely available though. 110.87 miles, 2457 feet elevation, gladly post it up if someone knows how.

Hang on, I've had a go at saving as a course. Log on and type in Outlaw 2012 Pit Stop Crew 

See if it works. Anyone else for that matter

Dustboy    pirate
25/07/2012 at 21:41

Sod Oxton Bank BTW, the six mile descent after is an absolute PEACH!

PSC    pirate
25/07/2012 at 21:43

cheers Dusty - where have you saved it.  Garmin Connect isn't giving me the love....

purpletrilady    pirate
25/07/2012 at 21:46
PSC wrote (see)

TG - yep, I would be up for some long rides... might find there are a few others on the list from our neck of the woods too. 

Does anyone have a garmin trace of the outlaw bike route - how hilly is it?  Thinking of designing some training routes.

I'm in your neck of the woods 

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
25/07/2012 at 21:46
Dustboy wrote (see)

PSC, I've got it on Garmin 800 no idea how to get it freely available though. 110.87 miles, 2457 feet elevation, gladly post it up if someone knows how.

Hang on, I've had a go at saving as a course. Log on and type in Outlaw 2012 Pit Stop Crew 

See if it works. Anyone else for that matter

So only 800m climbing, thats probably as easy course as you can get, pan flat courses are actually harder in my opinion as there's little respite as youre pushing the same gear all the time.

PSC    pirate
25/07/2012 at 21:54

I reckon Florida might be flatter, but not many of the other courses will be so smooth.

PTL - yep, another local.  I've only been on the bike a few times this year so need to get some serious miles in before I can think about longer rides...

25/07/2012 at 22:00

I know this won't make much sense at all but I felt like a LOT of Outlaw bike course was downhill and that's not really geographically possible!

It's certainly the flattest least hilly course of the ones of I've done - it's easier than Copenhagen, PSC.  However, it was windy as a windy person who lives in a windmill in Windmill Town when we did it this year which MORE than makes up for the lack of lumps.

I'm reliably informed that whilst it was very, very windy this year, it is rarely still on that bike course.

I also think it's much better organised that Challenge Copenhagen.  There are less frills in terms of absolutely no nice bag or gimmicky gift but you can buy a rucksack if you want one (I think around £20/£25) and we paid 330E for Copenhagen and £225 for Outlaw, so I'd rather save the £100.  The feedstations on both bike and run course were (in my opinion) better equiped that Copenhagen and possibly seemed more frequent to me (but that might have been my imagination).

I rated it very highly indeed.

Edited: 25/07/2012 at 22:01
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
25/07/2012 at 22:11

PSC ive done Florida which has a pan flat bike course, its zero incline except for one bridge you got over.  So youre in pretty much the same gear all ride which trashes the legs a lot more than having a few gentle undulations like at Outlaw which give you a chance to change gear and cadence a bit.  Even though Outlaw isnt hilly as such there are enough down hill bits you can spin out on and freewheel for a rest.

I didnt find it overly windy, sure there were some tough spells into the wind but I noticed the benefit in other sections of the course, at least the wind was fairly consistant and not blustering all over the place. 

25/07/2012 at 22:19
The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
Is this likely to be beat Henley for the number of pirates attending?

More chance of getting the orsum pirate feed station going again, or was the plan to move it to Henley?

Nicko. Hdau wrote (see)

Ian and his band of merry people have been good with us for the last few years since the 1st race.
Just wondering as most will be doing Henley as the champs race, or Lanza!
Are we still organising a posse for the feed station or just moving on?

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

I posted a reply on another thread yesterday, personally I would like to see the Pirate feedstation as an enduring aspect at Outlaw.  Its the biggest UK race and think it reflects well on us to give something back. 

I also think that by giving something to others we reap the benefits in the support you get as a pirate, ive been to races all over and had complete strangers shouting for me, that counts for a lot and I think the support we give to others (including the feedstation at Outlaw) reaps this payback.  Its also good fun

Its early days yet but id imagine we'll need to canvass for support in the new year, I know a number of people have already said theyre keen to help.

Next year id like to make it even bigger and better, akin to one of the Ironman feestations you get on the continent, ive a few ideas up my sleave

Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
I also posted on this years Support Thread that we hope for The Pirate Feed Station to continue and although Barley and I are happy to organise it in the run up to the day, we would like to hand over responsibility of the day itself to others so that we may see Pirates and non-Pirates over the whole course as we have not so far been able to do so

PSC    pirate
25/07/2012 at 22:22
Thanks Mouse, the direct comparison between Copenhagen (which I loved) and outlaw (which sounds better) is really useful. Lol at the windier than a windy thing in a windmill.

BB I knew you had bagged Florida and remember you blogging about its flatness.
WildWill    pirate
25/07/2012 at 22:25
The wind killed me ... Being the worst cyclist in the world
25/07/2012 at 22:51

I think the wind was slightly stronger at our end of the bike course Will!  Well, that's my excuse!  

Dustboy    pirate
25/07/2012 at 23:00

Deffo saved in my courses, no idea how to get it public though, it;'s not a logical system!

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
25/07/2012 at 23:50
So now the pirate champs 2013 is in Lanza ( meldy decides after all)

Where are we going in 2014?

Oh when's the 10 yr anniversary
And let's go to the states for that!!!!
The Silent Assassin    pirate
26/07/2012 at 08:32

Like OC asked, when is the 10 year anniversay? and do we go back to to the first place?

We might need a seperate thread

Mrs SA is currently torn between Outlaw and Henely and we are so sallow probably go with the masses, but we have made a comitment to follow the PSOF on the 10 year anniversary

Hmmm she could do both, hmmmm Jaffa has done both, wonders which he liked best

Edited: 26/07/2012 at 08:34
26/07/2012 at 08:35
2015 is the anniversary
161 to 180 of 2,491 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.