Outlaw 2013

1,901 to 1,920 of 2,491 messages
K9
02/07/2013 at 22:15

Might do that triathlon on Monday?

Trogs    pirate
02/07/2013 at 22:36
Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

EP if you are a back marker I can vouch the pirate crowd at the finish just gets bigger and louder ....

As last Pirate home with about 10 minutes to spare at Outlaw last year I can only say that the finish chute welcome was absolutely fantastic and the most memorable and enjoyable part of a very long day.

meface    pirate
02/07/2013 at 22:42

EP - the end process takes care of itself. You will be tired but it isn't far, your brain will be wired and alive. In fact you will have trouble getting to sleep after the race.

Sure you won't want to run much further but you will be able to plod on under your own steam. Plus we will all see you shuffle the few yeards back. If you need help with your kit you will get it.

At IM regensburg we all had to shuffle the 2 miles back to the hotel, not just a few hundred yards.

Be brave.

seren nos    pirate
03/07/2013 at 08:32
Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Seren has a good approach she dedicates each mile of the run to a friend and when she needs to draw strength or distract herself spends time thinking of happy memories connected with that person.

If you see me sprinting at any time .that mile I'm thinking of Barley

03/07/2013 at 08:45

Hey EP, can I be your inspiration for miles 12-13 on the run... justthink of a braw scotsman striding through the heather with his faithful haggis hound at his side, and there in the distance is the wee timorous beastie, run EP, chase that haggis, its scented us and its away, run EP, run....

Does that help or are you just a little frightened now?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/07/2013 at 09:01

awesome!

So far I have
Dad - kidney removed for cancer Jan 2012, Jan 2013 told he had prostate cancer, Just finished radiotherapy
Grandma - died of cancer
Grandad - died alone in hospital I was the last family member to see him (both these grandparents were my biggest fans as a kid and traveled miles with me doing horse shows.)
Mum - open heart surgery

Probably with thinking about grandparents is it brings tears to my eyes - I never really cried when they died as I knew they were both in a lot of pain and it felt selfish when I knew they were better off out of pain.

So in that case

Cake at the end of my HIM (and also him doing airoplanes on the run)
The marshal at the end of my HIM making me run the last 1/2m for ice-cream (it worked!)

I'll keep thinking

citizen 146    pirate
03/07/2013 at 09:12

we could run together and push eachother on, am expecting another 6 25 marathon

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
03/07/2013 at 09:17
seren nos wrote (see)
Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Seren has a good approach she dedicates each mile of the run to a friend and when she needs to draw strength or distract herself spends time thinking of happy memories connected with that person.

If you see me sprinting at any time .that mile I'm thinking of Barley

The Silent Assassin    pirate
03/07/2013 at 09:24

looking at the spectator pack I see that the National Water sports centres hires segways

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/281972/gallery/segway.png?width=350

Would this be classed as cheating for the run?

Edited: 03/07/2013 at 09:24
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
03/07/2013 at 09:30

Oh yeah I want one

citizen 146    pirate
03/07/2013 at 09:38

they look lethal!, it's good that walking is not considered cheating! Am I right in thinking that walking in the swim IS considered cheating?  The lake at Wimbleball was quiet shallow and several people were reduced to walking in the mud when we strayed a bit to close to the edge

Lee the Pea    pirate
03/07/2013 at 11:02
pete_inthehills wrote (see)

Hey EP, can I be your inspiration for miles 12-13 on the run... justthink of a braw scotsman striding through the heather with his faithful haggis hound at his side, and there in the distance is the wee timorous beastie, run EP, chase that haggis, its scented us and its away, run EP, run....

Does that help or are you just a little frightened now?

Mwah hahahahahaha, I don't know about EP, but i'll be thinking of that now!!!

EP think of some nice things for the miles too, friends you have a laugh with etc, good nights out.  TBH anything that gets you through will do.  Though in contrast to what I just said, when i'm having a tough time it helps me to think about the fact I get to do this - when I was doing some of my longer runs I thought of the folk at the Boston marathon this year, and the determination some of the folk who were injured have shown. Makes me realise I should stop worrying about a bit of pain because it'll be over eventually

I reckon i'm on for a 6 hour mara (all going well), and i'm not even doing the bike or swim, lol.  In these times of economic turmoil,like to get my monies worth

Nurse Ratched    pirate
03/07/2013 at 13:58

I've just started my packing and, for the first time, I feel slightly   . But ho-hum, 's all part of the fun

Edited: 03/07/2013 at 13:59
03/07/2013 at 14:04

When you get to the end do people still hang around or go back to hotels to shower then eat (maybe). I know it all depends a bit on when you finish.

03/07/2013 at 14:06

Also if we want to stop on the bike route and get food out or tablets to add to water is it ok to just stop at the side of the road anywhere?

seren nos    pirate
03/07/2013 at 14:08

I think there are showers and food at the finish line.so you can then get sorted

03/07/2013 at 14:47

The spread of food last year was rather good, I thought. 

HPP has showers up the horrid steps and turn left, you need a code to get into the changing rooms. It's worth trying to find out what the code is from reception the day before. You'll prob walk past the changing rooms going to the briefing. 

03/07/2013 at 15:33
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

awesome!

So far I have
Dad - kidney removed for cancer Jan 2012, Jan 2013 told he had prostate cancer, Just finished radiotherapy
Grandma - died of cancer
Grandad - died alone in hospital I was the last family member to see him (both these grandparents were my biggest fans as a kid and traveled miles with me doing horse shows.)
Mum - open heart surgery

Probably with thinking about grandparents is it brings tears to my eyes - I never really cried when they died as I knew they were both in a lot of pain and it felt selfish when I knew they were better off out of pain.

So in that case

Cake at the end of my HIM (and also him doing airoplanes on the run)
The marshal at the end of my HIM making me run the last 1/2m for ice-cream (it worked!)

I'll keep thinking

@EP, A few events ago, I was thinking about a friend who died of cancer and I wound up greetin so much that I had to stop and get my breathing under control. Great photo finish of pinched swollen and red face with snot running down my nose. My mate would have thought that was hilarious! I now think of happy memories, fun and inspirational things. I was reading a book on visualisation techniques that suggests you visualise yourself going through the chute at the finish, strong and happy, with all of your friends and family cheering and happy as they watch you finish. Any negative thoughts that creep in your head, just wipe them out like on a blackboards, and replace them with the winning thoughts of finishing

03/07/2013 at 15:38

So silly question. Where do we put change of clothes, shampoo etc Guess this makes a change to worrying about the race itself

Rafiki    pirate
03/07/2013 at 15:38

The steering headset from my bike always gives me the little bit of extra motivation when I'm feeling at a low

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/450712/gallery/headet.jpg?width=350

1,901 to 1,920 of 2,491 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.