Outlaw 2014

Never too early to nail your pirate colours to the mast!

241 to 260 of 1,506 messages
Hope    pirate
16/07/2013 at 08:55

Bloody mindedness and shameless persistence are must haves. 

16/07/2013 at 09:04
Stoatally Different wrote (see)

There's an off season? Does that involve more cake? When does it start?

*cough*

Nurse Ratched    pirate
16/07/2013 at 10:14
seren nos wrote (see)

Running Postie
Flat Footed
Seren Nos
Budjude
JPGoodboy
Borobhoy
Saffers
Gymaddict (and Dr G)
Evil Pixie
TJ1004
The Russian 

SuckitupButtercup/mathschick/Mrs Digger -Team name awaits
Bow Belle/Pudge/Ultra Kaz -Team name awaits

Fraggle/Nurse Ratched/ need a runner and a team name (and can't do single line spacing on t'iPhone)

seren nos    pirate
16/07/2013 at 10:16

right then need to find a plan for next year..but will wait until after IMW....

Lee the Pea    pirate
16/07/2013 at 10:35

Lots of great posts here, esp. loved your post LMH.  I think it's good to have a mix of opinions too.

Iron Squishy wrote (see)

I'll just add a word of wisdom that Crashie told me when I started training for my first IM - "you're not training for an Ironman yet.... you are training to cope with the training for an Ironman". That stuck with me. It's hard. Respect the distance. If you don't train properly it will bite your ass and you will fail.

This defo applies to me. Although I like the ethos of 'from nothing to IM in 12 months', it didn't work for me, but in all honesty I didn't hit every session, and bascially didn't do enough, so it isn't surprising I DNF'd. I could possibly get to the end if I did train exactly right, but DNF'ing once has made me realise I want to be a lot fitter generally before I even attempt one again.  So Squishy your post is spot on for me. At the time even the Fink beginners plan was too much for me, so I missed sessions because I was bolloxed, and could never quite hit the numbers.  Everyone is different though.  So next year for me will be improving my running, doing another marathon (Big Sur, woo hoooooo) and getting back on the bike/swimming for fun, but also with purpose and getting base fitness level up.  I might decide I don't want to do an IM, but regardless, I just want to get back to doing lots of exercise for its own sake, if nothing else.

16/07/2013 at 10:40

You may find a runner in the guise of Chilibean!

Lee the Pea    pirate
16/07/2013 at 10:49

Doing Big Sur you mean?

Cake    pirate
16/07/2013 at 10:54

If chillibean doesn't want to play know a lurker at the moment who is interested in the run. Just slightly scared pirates might make them walk the plank.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
16/07/2013 at 11:01
Lee the Pea wrote (see)

Lots of great posts here, esp. loved your post LMH.  I think it's good to have a mix of opinions too.

Iron Squishy wrote (see)

I'll just add a word of wisdom that Crashie told me when I started training for my first IM - "you're not training for an Ironman yet.... you are training to cope with the training for an Ironman". That stuck with me. It's hard. Respect the distance. If you don't train properly it will bite your ass and you will fail.

This defo applies to me. Although I like the ethos of 'from nothing to IM in 12 months', it didn't work for me, but in all honesty I didn't hit every session, and bascially didn't do enough, so it isn't surprising I DNF'd. I could possibly get to the end if I did train exactly right, but DNF'ing once has made me realise I want to be a lot fitter generally before I even attempt one again.  So Squishy your post is spot on for me. At the time even the Fink beginners plan was too much for me, so I missed sessions because I was bolloxed, and could never quite hit the numbers.  Everyone is different though.  So next year for me will be improving my running, doing another marathon (Big Sur, woo hoooooo) and getting back on the bike/swimming for fun, but also with purpose and getting base fitness level up.  I might decide I don't want to do an IM, but regardless, I just want to get back to doing lots of exercise for its own sake, if nothing else.

Squishy is spot on, 12 months is 3 months to get used to training, learn to swim.  3 months to build some base endurance and get used to training regularly and be out on your bike for 2-3 hours then to follow a 6 month Ironman training plan, and suppliment the plan if you need to cycle more.

Edited: 16/07/2013 at 11:03
Lee the Pea    pirate
16/07/2013 at 11:28

Thanks Coach

iron fraggle    pirate
16/07/2013 at 12:01

Erm Nursey, I'm up for the run. We need a willing cyclist

16/07/2013 at 12:19

is it not perfectly fine to just up a HIM plan to double lengths?

(please say yes as this is what i plan to do)

Cake    pirate
16/07/2013 at 12:25

Depending on what plan you are using you might actually be overtraining? If you are happy with it and stuff cool but I would use the threads to sound out what your doing in a bit more detail and geek up a few training plans for IM and see how it fit's in mate. Inportant thing is the bike and getting in long rides in the build up. Well as well as being able to swim and stuff.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
16/07/2013 at 12:33

I wouldnt say doubling a half ironman program is ideal but it could be feasible depending on the plan?  All depends where youre at and what the intensity is like?

Why not just follow an Ironman plan, or quadroople an Oly plan

16/07/2013 at 12:34

i have to be able to swim? shit  

i think i need educating in the world of longer events - will swat up over the winter - give me something to read when i am on the turbo (when i get a turbo) i guess.

running is my biggest issue - or should i say running at anything above a walking pace after a while is my biggest issue. anything above a HM and i struggle - that said not really done anything over that distance yet.

Should mkae chester marathon fun in October

16/07/2013 at 12:35

there's an oly plan? that could have come in useful pre last weekend for me!

Cake    pirate
16/07/2013 at 12:38

Marathon's are always fun mate why we all play at them.  

You have bags of time at the moment wto work out what you want to do training wise. You know what you need to do I think, which is more than I can say for me half the time. just keep carm and carry on.

16/07/2013 at 12:42

as long as the pre marathon plan includes a trip to the Octoberfest in Munich the weekend before than i am IN

i dont do planning that well and thats happening. i return late on the monday before the marathon and hopefully will have more beer than blood in me at that point.

what could possibly go wrong........

Cake    pirate
16/07/2013 at 12:55

Remember beers taste better with lots of pork in Germany. err good luck mate.

Tired Badger    pirate
16/07/2013 at 13:16

And another recomendation for fitting in the DIY HIM if its your first year, priceless for testing the training in a friendly enviroment. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.