Outlaw 2014

Never too early to nail your pirate colours to the mast!

1,521 to 1,540 of 1,543 messages
GH0ST    pirate
01/08/2014 at 16:05

Bike

I think there was a technical issue on timing on the transition – I felt as though I ‘d whipped through in just over a minute so how come as it came up as 5 mins plus?

Anyhoo, I’m into my favourite bit. Not much to report prior to the 1st pass of the Pirate feed station. Sherpa Dave is in the road pointing a camera at me so I sail through with a cheesy grin on my face – have flicked through his pics and there is no evidence of this occurring?

I’m thankful that I am not in need of my special needs item which I gave him before I left – spare pair of shorts on account I was wearing brand spanking new ones and wasn’t sure if we’d be compatible.

On passing the feed station I dug into my bento box where I cunningly placed a malt loaf which I had pre-sliced length ways for easy extradition and consumption. Unfortunately the bloody thing had welded itself back together again and I found myself in a bit of a sticky mess. I called out to Razor and Horse for a wet wipe but they just laughed.

That drag between the two loops was cack.

On the way up Oxton bank a loose water bottle was ricocheting between car and bike wheels. It was a hairy moment but the gods had obviously decided that now I’d actually started the race they’d be on my side as it bounced off my front wheel and into the kerb.

Somewhere on the north loop was an optical illusion of a flat road but I couldn’t get above 10mph (might have had something to do with the head wind).

I was surprised that I hadn’t seen many Pirates out on the course and figured I must be waaaaaay behind. I must dig in and not be shit.

Then at about mile 90 (I think) I hear someone calling and turn to see Meldy! I must have passed her whilst she was taking a comfort break at a feed station. We had a little catch up but she tucked in behind me so as not to break any rules (I was pissed off a little later that 2 competitors rode 2 abreast in front of us for some miles having a natter with absolute disregard to the rules).

Let me tell you, I may have been feeling a bit tired at this point but if you know you’ve got Meldy watching you, you put in a bit more effort! The last 12 miles was hell with that wind but knowing I had a senior (better qualify that with “long serving”) pirate I didn’t hang about. Meldy passed me on the last up-flat and I followed her home.

That was the end of the good bit.

GH0ST    pirate
01/08/2014 at 16:05

Run

I am about as interested in writing about this as I was about doing it…

It was cooler than the previous day but not as cool as the early morning training runs I had done – where was the rain forecast to coincide with the run?

I did not enjoy it. I implemented a run/walk strategy based on the temperature – walking in the sun and jogging in the shade.

The upside was all the waves, high fives and fist bumps (and big hug off of Mrs Digger) from passing pirates.

Then the finishing chute was there and I was home.

Huge thanks to Slag who carried my bags and guided me to the food stuff whilst anxiously looking out for an incoming Button Mushroom.

Then it was off to the finish line to have a beer and a bop with pirates welcoming the rest of the field home.

01/08/2014 at 17:13

brilliant report Ghost

does everyone have those kind of thoughts in the swim? I know I did and had to give myself a stern talking to!

seren nos    pirate
01/08/2014 at 17:13

great report and race Ghost......you looked happy all day

01/08/2014 at 17:33
I thought it was compulsory to have those thoughts (weed is better than jelly fish tho )
M...eldy    pirate
01/08/2014 at 17:37

Awesome report!! 'Senior' indeed!!

Duda the Mutineer    pirate
01/08/2014 at 17:42
Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
weed is better than jelly fish tho

Difficult to wrap the skins round a jelly fish especially if you use blue rizla

flyaway    pirate
01/08/2014 at 20:56

Really great reports.
Ghost - I thought you looked like I usually feel at that point pre-race, which is always in need of a hug!

01/08/2014 at 21:03
Great report Ghost love it .
Magna Carter    pirate
01/08/2014 at 21:06

great report Ghost!

Dave burnt the toast to hell and back.... 

Trogs    pirate
01/08/2014 at 21:12

Nice one Ghost

01/08/2014 at 21:29

Great report Ghost

Currently eating my own body weight in Isotonic Cadburys Heroes and Recovery Beer

01/08/2014 at 21:40

Woohoo Ghost

01/08/2014 at 21:47

Edited: 01/08/2014 at 21:47
01/08/2014 at 22:17
Brilliant report Ghost, thought Dave was going to have a fit waiting for you to come through the feed station the second time lol, he started to go a bit quiet...not for long though
Pudge    pirate
02/08/2014 at 06:01
Ace report Ghost, and a well deserved medal for you
02/08/2014 at 06:59
Pudge wrote (see)
Ace report Ghost, and a well deserved medal for you

+1

22/09/2014 at 19:40

Did anyone else receive a Outlaw beach towel in the post today. Totally free and unexpected. It is really nice.  So in terms of mementoes from the day, i have a medal, a finishers t-shirt, 11 water bottles, a hoodie, swim cap and now a towel!

seren nos    pirate
22/09/2014 at 20:04

hoodie... how did you get a hoodie........or did you pay for one

22/09/2014 at 20:04
Yeah I saw the parcel and thought shit, what have I ordered? A nice touch. 11 bottles? Thought we were tight getting half a dozen new ones!
1,521 to 1,540 of 1,543 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.