Over to you: I'm failing in my quest...

1 to 20 of 25 messages
kittenkat    pirate
05/10/2012 at 20:23

To stop this automatic thought that longer is stronger and more worthy of praise; than shorter and faster.

And now the first shot from the new RW Towers is just that.

kittenkat    pirate
05/10/2012 at 20:27

I'm not saying that shorter and faster is better, I just want a balance as I think they're equal but the only strong message coming from the forum here is you have to go long.

It aint true.

05/10/2012 at 20:41
So you keep saying.
kittenkat    pirate
05/10/2012 at 20:43
Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)
So you keep saying.

And you keep doing what?

05/10/2012 at 21:43

Have I missed something?

06/10/2012 at 06:27
This is exactly what I keep telling Ms Diamonds.
06/10/2012 at 12:41

Go long and go fast, slogging round a IM course in 16:59 whats that all about?

06/10/2012 at 12:57
kittenkat wrote (see)

To stop this automatic thought that longer is stronger and more worthy of praise; than shorter and faster.

It is all a bit like sex is it not!

However I have always thought that if you are acquainted with longer distances you can turn your hand to shorter distances more easily and with general fitness benefits than being acquainted only with shorter distances.

TR
06/10/2012 at 13:10

who says that longer is stronger and worthy of more praise ? they dont have IM in the Olympics after all.

Some folks do shorter Tris others longer ones ?  a 2h30m Olympic is a better sproting performance than a 15hr IM, and a 10hr IM is a better sporting performance than a 3hr Olympic, but so what, who cares anyway ? As long as folks are up off the sofa doing a bit.

Edited: 06/10/2012 at 13:12
06/10/2012 at 14:10
Assuming you're referring to the RW thread requesting IM related stories I just read this as reflecting the particular mythical bucket-list status it shares with the marathon. But just as I wouldn't see the marathon as being somehow more worthy than a 10k, same with tri. I don't even think the implication is there. Certainly nothing to get upset over.

I've got no intention of doing an IM cos I don't want to risk drowning.
Hope    pirate
06/10/2012 at 16:25

I think it's  nice if people do what they want and what makes them happy.
Doesn't make any difference to me what others think may or may not be better, I enter races with distances I enjoy. I couldn't give a flying fruit what others think.

kittenkat    pirate
06/10/2012 at 16:30

It keeps me awake at night

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
06/10/2012 at 16:57
This was the discussion I had with Suzie last week whilst we were out walking, she argued that a 16 hour Ironman although hard work, was it any better than a flat out Olympic ?

She suggested that most people don't "race" an Ironman, they survive it !
kittenkat    pirate
06/10/2012 at 19:19

I think if you're going as fast as you can over whatever distance, it all equals pain!

Red_dog_chris    pirate
06/10/2012 at 19:45

I've done all distances now- they all need training- just different intesities, time etc. I think it is the course that is more difficult from race to race than the distance- I did two half IM and I found them harder than Outlaw- prob because they were hilly. Each individual race and distance poses its own challenge so why worry??

kittenkat    pirate
06/10/2012 at 19:52
Red_dog_chris wrote (see)

I've done all distances now- they all need training- just different intesities, time etc. I think it is the course that is more difficult from race to race than the distance- I did two half IM and I found them harder than Outlaw- prob because they were hilly. Each individual race and distance poses its own challenge so why worry??

Because I can't sleep at night due to this.... Surely other people must be as concerned about the distance conundrum? It can't just be me?

06/10/2012 at 20:13

There is no conundrum it is 'horses for courses'. You place too much importance on RW Towers and what "other people" might be concerned about.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
06/10/2012 at 20:19
I think the reason is that IM or marathon is usually a once a year target that people train specifically for, over many months. It's only natural not to want to write all that off as a failure if you don't get a specific time, so simply completing the thing becomes a success. For 10k, the disappointment of missing a target time is OK because I can go and have another go in a couple of weeks.
kittenkat    pirate
06/10/2012 at 20:21
Martenkay wrote (see)

There is no conundrum it is 'horses for courses'. You place too much importance on RW Towers and what "other people" might be concerned about.

Um, do I not do irony transparently enough?

06/10/2012 at 20:25

1 to 20 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.