Over to you: Ironman events

Your views on Ironman

21 to 40 of 40 messages
TheEngineer    pirate
05/10/2012 at 19:56
Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

And wasn't something similar done for the magazine a little while ago.  I believe Garr and Flatfooted feature?

This time last year. I always was memorable.

05/10/2012 at 20:57

I have yet to do a triathlon but am entered for the Outlaw next year. I have always been interested in endurance events and It's always been at the back of my mind that I would like to attempt an ironman but the swimming has always put me off in the past, that and also the cost of getting set up with a road bike.

early this Summer after seeing how my Wife's swimming had improved after she took adult improver swim lessons I also signed up to do the same, as soon as i could swim a proper front crawl then triathlons became a possibility.

I am very much enjoying adding swimming and cycling training to the running i was doing previously, the variation means I can spend more time training without feeling I'm overdoing it.

Edited: 05/10/2012 at 20:58
05/10/2012 at 21:12
I remember Garr being in the article but the other lad....nah can't remember his name, don't think he was very good anyway...would certainly never win his age group anyway.
IronCat5    pirate
05/10/2012 at 22:01

First 5km race in 2010. First tri in 2011. First IM (Outlaw) in 2012.

Outlaw was entirely the fault of some tall bloke who kept talking at me for an entire day's cyling around Surrey.

Your feature could also include a small sideline showing what the Pirates have achieved globally (various IMs, AG champs, etc).

meface    pirate
05/10/2012 at 22:09
Moved up - Blimey I moved down.

Was a hill walker/back packer. My idea of an event was the Penine Way or Coast 2 Coast and took two weeks! Then started LDWA challenge events which were 30m and 50m. Then started running parts of local walks to get home quicker once we had kids. Did a marafun, a half, a 10k, got quicker and worked my way back up.

No injuries but switched to Tri to avoid them as I am a big boy and not a natural runner. A sprint, two halfs, an Oly and an IM with a few more sprints. Some adventure races. Can't wait to take kids on Penine Way but still only 7 and 2.

So IM is a sprint for me. But half IM would be favoured distance as you can much harder.

What about finding those from the original article and seeing what they are up to now. Would be more interesting than finding out that IM is the new marafun.
Blisters    pirate
05/10/2012 at 23:23

For me the ironman is the new marathon.

I did my first marathon aged 40, and made good progress until I pulled a couple of injuries and ran out of motivation. Two years later, aged 50 or something, I met Prince Siegfreid and realised that I was much fitter than he was, so how hard could it be? The new mantra is to Complete, not Compete. So I've had to learn how to swim more than 25m, and am trying to fit biking, running and swimming into a programme that includes a family and a job with significant travelling. My first try-a-tri was late this summer. I've now entered Challenge Henley. Wife, children, parents, they all think I'm somewhere between mad, stupid and irresponsible. Meanwhile, the Pirate kit is on order.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!

Edited: 05/10/2012 at 23:24
05/10/2012 at 23:51

I retired from playing rugby last season, so wanted something to fill the void. I have done a little running so thought that I wanted a little bit extra. I love the variety that training on the bike, swimming or running gives you.

I have done 2 sprints and an oly this year and love the friendliness of the other people taking part and the spectators.

I am signed up for Outlaw next year and will be doing IMWales next year too. 

ET7
06/10/2012 at 07:34
Wow BBT two in one year!
ET7
06/10/2012 at 09:17
Way to go Blisters!
Yes, you are significantly fitter and slimmer than me! See you at Henley, where I hope to be in a relay with Dusty (run) and someone who fancies doing the bike!!
06/10/2012 at 10:54

I was planning on doing Outlaw this year then I friend said that he would do one, but only if it was Wales and I said that I would do it with him.

06/10/2012 at 12:37

I  started with a novice distance(the whole thing took less than 20 mins)
Then went Sprint, odd distance (longer than sprint ,shorter than standard) Standard (Olympic) and then Half Ironman that was all in 2002.

Quit after the Half IM but came back at the tail end of the 2003 season with a sprint and a standard and then because a big group from the tri club were doing it, IM Lanzarote '04.

I'd finished Lanzarote inside my target time and was happy with my performance at the the time

I stopped cycling and swimming after that and just ran.

But as the years passed I grew more and more dissatisfied my performance and felt that I hadn't really risen to the IM challenge.

I'd had a couple of poor years where I hadn't done much of anything due to various illnesses and injuries and had gotten a little podgy, eventually a friend at work gave me the kick up the arse I needed and I entered Bala standard, rejoined the tri club and started training.  I had 12 weeks before my comeback race and the training was going well, so well I decided to have another go at the iron distance and entered the Outlaw.

Primary target was to finish without walking on the run.

Secondary target was go Sub 11.

Outcome. 10:36;59 and no walking.

When I finished I was so relieved. this had been the last thing on my "to do" list.  And although the training had gone well, I wouldn't call it fun and towards then end really lost interest and faith in my own ability

3 months on I'm still knackered.

Britrisky    pirate
06/10/2012 at 14:54
Had knee ligament reconstructed Sept '10 then could run without pain for the first time in years - moved from Parkrun in 36 min in Jan '11 to 24:38 by Oct and increased distance to half marathon then read Paula's book and did marathon then read Andy Holgate's and Chrissie Wellington's books and this summer moved into tri. Did Oly in July and Half IM in Sept and doing Outlaw next year.

Reckon tri is a way of keeping running without hammering the joints too much. Also going long is a bit of escape for me (demanding job, special needs kids).

Really excited about Outlaw next year, and very proud of being able to call myself a triathlete!

Just need to learn how to swim quicker and without puking ...!
OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
06/10/2012 at 19:50

Did my first olympic in about 2:30 on just what I did.... (I did get in the pool 10 weeks before and learned to front crawl badly)
Decided to go longer as that must be harder or more challenging, so entered a half, (cowman). 
I then found the pirates and they gave me the confidence to dare enter an ironman.  So 3 years and 5 ironmans later I am still in love with the distance.

I love the fitness training for IM gives me, and it gives me a goal.
I love the challenge (How far do I need to swim!!!! 6 hrs on a bike !!!!, a marathon!!!!) and I love being able to still run when others are in severe difficulty - competetive..?? me - hell yes 

Finally I love the whole age group philosphy of triathlon. Its so encompasing / accepting of people still doing their best / trying their best despite different fitness levels.

Lastly the pirates as a friendly accepting bunch of people....  They are gold.

07/10/2012 at 12:36

Thanks for all your input. Inspiring stuff  

me..face and IronCat5 in the Hat - nice ideas about follow ups. I'll dig up the feature and look into it. Might be a separate feature in the not-so-distant future...

Red_dog_chris    pirate
07/10/2012 at 12:57

I did a sprint to raise money for charity last May (my son is autistic so did it for NAS), enjoyed it so did two more sprints  and a 10k run. Decided to enter an IM for the same charity this year (oddly enough raised less money!!) and ended up doing 2 half irons to help with training, two half marathons. Joined th pirates after my IM as two of them (thanks!) helped me with cramp as I went to get my post race food! I enjoyed doing the long distance and will keep on with this distance now- the training is the hardest part- time consuming, up early, living off energy gels lol!  

JvR
08/10/2012 at 12:50

I've taken part in races since I was in my teens and my home town did their first half marathon and a few of us decided to enter it. Over the years I worked my way up to marathon distance.
A few years back I decided that breaking all that running up with swimming and cycling would be a good idea as it would save my knees from a lot of punishment in the future.
Did a novice sprint tri and enjoyed it. Following year i did a few more sprints and a middle distance. Failed to make the start line of the first Outlaw but have entered to do it again next year.
I use races as a way to raise money for charity, usually ones to do with children's cancers.

08/10/2012 at 14:01

think i had a midlife crisis at the back end of last year when i realised i was 1 month away from my 40th birthday, was severly overweight and couldn't walk up the stairs without stopping for a break half way. decided to quit drinking and shovelling chips in my gob at every opportunity and get a bit of 'light' exercise (walking and occasionally jogging if i felt energetic). 

lost 3 stone by May this year and had a bet with my mate that i couldnt do 'Tough Guy' competition in June.  did it and bought a mountain bike. did a bit more running and got talking to a guy at work who did triathlons.  got and read loads of books and decided it might be quite fun.  Bought a road bike in August (thankyou CycletoWork Scheme ).

Read IronHolgs book, got inspired and found the Pirates!  logged on, signed up and within a few weeks found myself registered for Outlaw 2013!  Am learning to swim again after 20+ years of not going near a pool

Did first Sprint Tri yesterday and loved it.  Roll on next year, can't wait.  Thanks to everyone so far for the knowledge and inspiration and thanks to my mentor and race-belt benefactor

Bite off more than i can chew? Moi???

08/10/2012 at 14:08

I ran my first 5k race in 2011, my first two marathons this year, and next year I'm doing my first Ironman (IMUK).  Until I started running last year I'd only ever done occasional fitness -- walking, a mile or two run.  As I got fitter, dropped 30lbs, and signed up for target races (working up from 5k to marathon), I loved how I was feeling, and changing, and couldn't imagine stopping.  So I signed up for my first sprint tri (encouraged by reading Andy's book), and recently did my first longer tri (an Olympic with a shorter pool swim).  

From the moment I started getting interested in Triathlon, IM was always a fanciful target.  Now it's paid for and I have to train for it.  Exciting.  A bit scary.  Wouldn't change a thing.

Ironholgs    pirate
16/10/2012 at 14:11

Loving reading these stories and really nice that my story inspired some of you.

meface    pirate
16/10/2012 at 22:31
Ironholgs wrote (see)

Loving reading these stories and really nice that my story inspired some of you.

What? The thought of you in Lycra saw me in therapy for weeks. I still have to bleach the brain regularly.

I suspect in year's to come your book will be on the same list as Lance - banned (in case his Lawyers read this not that Lance, another Lance that I know)

M..eface

Can't wait to see my article in print - I'm like executive editor or something!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 40 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.