Over to you: Ironman events

Your views on Ironman

1 to 20 of 38 messages
05/10/2012 at 12:57

Hello forumites,

I’m interested in getting your wise words on Ironman events. How & why did you get into this type of racing? Have you noticed more people getting on board more recently?

I’m especially interested to hear if you went from zero to ironman, missing out all the shorter distances.

It's for a potential editorial piece, so beware you may be quoted somewhere other than the forum on here!

Thanks

Katie RW

05/10/2012 at 13:00

Hi Katie

When you say 'Iromnan', do you mean their specific branded events or any iroman distance event?

And wasn't something similar done for the magazine a little while ago.  I believe Garr and Flatfooted feature?

seren nos yn canu    pirate
05/10/2012 at 13:04

I will not say my story as it was covered on an article here on RW a few years ago.they followed a number of us newbies on our journey to Ironman switzerland.....

It would be nice if they could do the same now as that was 2009...........maybe do some stories of a group attempting their first ones next year.......an article now on their plans and hopes. and then a catch up before the event and then afetr the event.....

there are already a number who have signed up to their first ironman next year

much more exciting to read about the newbies than the tired old hasbeens 

05/10/2012 at 13:14

Good idea, Seren, especially as Challenge Henley is the PSOF Championships.  Or any newbie attempting Outlaw (assuming the editorial is not restricted to IM brand)

seren nos yn canu    pirate
05/10/2012 at 13:14

there a few newbies trying IMW next year the same date as Henley.....

05/10/2012 at 13:17

Good point, m'dear.  That would be good esp as it is a beast of a course 

05/10/2012 at 14:22
It was all Vikings fault
Ultra AJH    pirate
05/10/2012 at 14:25

So I could say I'd done it.

05/10/2012 at 14:35
Iruman is well retarded durr!
05/10/2012 at 15:00

Hello

Ironman as in the distance rather than the brand. Could be Outlaw, any overseas, etc.

Definitely interested in running something similar to the 2009 feature again seren nos, depends what level of feedback we get!

This particular thread is just for a potential news piece. I'm keen to get forum members involved in the editorial on the site where possible.

Thanks

Katie RW

Edited: 05/10/2012 at 15:00
WildWill    pirate
05/10/2012 at 15:09

I started triathlon 11 or 12 years ago ... always with IM in mind after watching it on Trans World Sports 

It has take me from a depressed 19st 8lb'er and a heart attacke waiting to happen to someone who feels comfortable and happy (mostly) in their own skin

There were a few set backs on the way to my first IM which finaly took place in 2006 IMDE and since then there has been no looking back.

No mater how hard races get, the joy of finnish, the comradery of the pirates and the smile on my wife's face, always make it worth while.

Rafiki    pirate
05/10/2012 at 15:39

I'm taking on IM Lanza as my first IM next year after doing my first Olympic distance this year. Started on this Triathlon road as the result of a bet which ended "well, how hard can it be", but decided to pursue it to IM distance as the training/racing challenge is a lot more rewarding than running alone (plus you get to buy more expensive kit )

Dubai Dave    pirate
05/10/2012 at 17:47

It was next on the bucket list, now ticked twice and on to the next challenge, with perhaps a few more return trips

05/10/2012 at 17:53
I wasn't pissed, but did think 'How hard can it really be?' You have to choose the right course for your own ability / commitment to do the training! I did Outlaw this year, I doubt I'll ever do IMW as I haven't got the necessary commitment to do the training!
But I'm also considering another event next year as the 'buzz' from finishing with all that Pirate power was unbelievable!!
The Pirate 'fraternity/atmosphere' is, without doubt, something that should be bottled and sold around the world! Awesome! Pirates rock!
ET7
05/10/2012 at 18:08
I'm a first timer and have entered the outlaw next year. Just wanted a different challenge. Born out of constant injuries as well, brought a bike and learnt to swim properly this year and before you know it I've entered an ironman.
The advice from this forum has been brilliant, very supportive and informative.

I was also in bit of a rut, entering the same races seeing the same faces etc..guess I was bored with it all.

Now I'm really up for the training and I'm really motivated, something I haven't been for months..I've done 2 sprints and have definitely got the bug...

So glad I took the plunge!
ET7
05/10/2012 at 18:15
I blame Andy Holgate and the Ironman Wales 2011 promo video. The first led to "I want to do that", and the second to "and I want to do it there".

2013 will show whether I can...
05/10/2012 at 18:38

I have missed the startline once but intend to get there next June.   I have kind of worked my way up - novice then sprint then olympic. Might do a half IM if it fits in with training etc.

Husband (nutter) did a novice and then entered Ironman.  (he has now done a sprint and wasn't put off so it's all good).  

The why - found myself running twice a day and realised I needed more sports to do.  Did a few little ones - they made me laugh all the way round - figured the longer it lasts, the more fun it is.

Edited: 05/10/2012 at 18:40
Iron Pingu    pirate
05/10/2012 at 19:28

Think it was a bit of a natural progression for me.  Started off with the Race for Life back in about 2001 and gradually worked my way up to IMW in 2011!  I really don't think I'd have got to IM though without this forum.

I’ve done IMW and Outlaw now and I like all the build up and focus it takes to get you from filling in that entry form to crossing the finish line.  I signed up for IMW pissed too KK!   Although, for me it was the only way I was going to part with that much cash...

The whole pirate thing is awesome.  I can’t imagine doing one without all the support and friendship that comes with it.  It was so lovely meeting up with all the IMWalers at Outlaw again and then meeting a whole load more.  Fab. 

It is quite addictive though, after Outlaw I really missed having something to focus on ... so now have Lanza to look forward too.. and erm, then Outlaw again but then I may retire ...

Edited: 05/10/2012 at 19:29
TheEngineer    pirate
05/10/2012 at 19:56
Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

And wasn't something similar done for the magazine a little while ago.  I believe Garr and Flatfooted feature?

This time last year. I always was memorable.

05/10/2012 at 20:57

I have yet to do a triathlon but am entered for the Outlaw next year. I have always been interested in endurance events and It's always been at the back of my mind that I would like to attempt an ironman but the swimming has always put me off in the past, that and also the cost of getting set up with a road bike.

early this Summer after seeing how my Wife's swimming had improved after she took adult improver swim lessons I also signed up to do the same, as soon as i could swim a proper front crawl then triathlons became a possibility.

I am very much enjoying adding swimming and cycling training to the running i was doing previously, the variation means I can spend more time training without feeling I'm overdoing it.

Edited: 05/10/2012 at 20:58
1 to 20 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.