OW swimming in South Wales

Need somewhere to practice as often as possible!!

241 to 258 of 258 messages
25/01/2012 at 08:50
Sorry Cat5, only just seen your post, this morning. I was there, great session for me, finally hitting some decent pace in the pool again. I just dont recognise you from your avitar. I'm out in Lane 6, where abouts are you?
IronCat5    pirate
25/01/2012 at 19:46

So you're one of the fast ones....

Last week I started in 5, and moved to 4. Same sets, but 4 was a tad slower. That was based on total distance covered in the swim (2550). It was still a little fast for me. This week I went in lane 2 based upon my 7-8m/400m time, and it was too slow .

I'll work it out one day. I'm not in Wales next week so it won't be then...

seren nos yn canu    pirate
24/02/2012 at 07:54
Had to go to page 6 to find this because of all the spamming.......#

they tell us the weather has turned warmer....so is anyone up for an early morning swim tomorrow
13/04/2012 at 20:10
right.its april now.........mid april even and the sun was out today...who is up for a swim in the morning in the Taff
14/04/2012 at 10:13
i have to admit it..without any sun out today that water was still cold.......did a full lap but was cold at the end
24/04/2012 at 12:04

Afternoon

Is anyone planning on swimming in Porthcawl this Sunday by any chance?  High tide is 11:18.  I really need to get in some OW before Marazion next month!

OR has anyone swum there recently and has any tips?

Thanks

25/04/2012 at 13:50

Finally got into the water (outdoors) for the 1st time this year. Went over the Bridge to Triopenwater, Bradley Stoke near Bristol. Great little venue, has a 600m marked course. Water quality is good, but cloudy due to the clay. NOT VERY WARM! 10.5 degrees last night. The guy who runsit,  Mike, is very welcoming & encouragin,. costs a fiver, but can swim as long as you like. Open Tuesday, Wednesday & Thrsday evenings and Saturday & Sunday mornings till 11:30.

A few of us are going back a week Sunday (6 May), thats only 3 weeks before our 10k swim at Eton.

MTri    pirate
25/04/2012 at 14:02
Swam there a few times last year, and can't really fault it. Nice to know that you can stand up just in case, and gave a few newbies a confidence boost.
25/04/2012 at 14:08
its good there.but gets a little expensive on your own.for petrol and the bridge........

Alan W and myself are swimming in the taff on saturday morning early if anyone wants to join us
MTri    pirate
25/04/2012 at 14:41
I can't make it this Saturday Seren, but I'll be there soon, as I've got a newbie who wants to try out OW swimming before Wimbleball.

Take it careful this weekend, after this recent weather there could be quite a flow, and worse still, run off from fields etc.
IronCat5    pirate
25/04/2012 at 17:09
Seren - have you heard about the BBC Wales interest in OW and wild swimmers? If not let Slugs or I know and we can pass on the details.
25/04/2012 at 19:17
No..not heard.....would be interested......i love to swim outdoors and would love to find new safe places......

IronCat5    pirate
25/04/2012 at 19:26
PM'd.
30/08/2012 at 21:28

I know it is nearly September, but has anyone been in the Taff, or going there? If September stays warm I may well be up for a session or two ....though I will be pretty much a beginner again....

31/08/2012 at 13:37

Did try the Usk last week. Just above Usk town at the picnic site. 2 of us spent an hour 40, just swimmimg up & down. I wimped out and wore a wettie but my swim buddy braved it without, although she said it was colder than the channel.

Plenty deep enough & a nice strong current to make you work.

I did suffer a bad stomach 48 hours later, but dont know if the water was to blame as Christine was fine.

31/08/2012 at 14:26

I am willing to swim there......I went a couple of weeks ago with my son and it was warmish.......

never been ill after the Taff and its only 10 mins away..........let me know and i will pick you up

02/09/2012 at 14:02

Of course - I've since realised that I am not around any weekends in September  Carbooting and 10king next week, the week after I'm at my parents... 22nd Sept I might be around in the morning actually, but 29th I'm at my parents again. 

I don't want to hold you back though Seren (plus, if the weather is bad, I will chicken out to avoid having to swim into the flow of the water). If you are up for it though, then I'll drop you a line the week before... and will keep tabs on the weather.....

07/09/2012 at 18:31

just to say we are swimming in the taff in the morning if anyone is interested

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
241 to 258 of 258 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.