OW swimming in South Wales

Need somewhere to practice as often as possible!!

21 to 40 of 258 messages
18/05/2011 at 07:26
I need a bike ride too!!! No road bike though so I am slow and cluncky... Exciting!!!
18/05/2011 at 07:30

Ecolime - thanks for the info. Sounds really good

Seren & Jevans - please bear me in mind too,  Can't give a definite at the mo, but definitely keen

seren nos    pirate
18/05/2011 at 07:32
course we won't forget you schmunkee,,,,,,,,,,.how could anyone forget you
MTri    pirate
18/05/2011 at 10:20
The general opening times are 5pm till 1/2 hour before dark, Tues, Wed and Thurs, and 9-11 Saturday and Sunday mornings,or whenever Mike is there, you just need to call him.
seren nos    pirate
18/05/2011 at 10:23
9-11 staurday..thanks for that
Iron Pingu    pirate
18/05/2011 at 12:52

I've just been over there, and kicked myself, of course I knew it was there, lol, age is making me senile, had completely forgotten about it.  It's quite a small lake, but certainly serves it's purpose. 

If I'm honest though, I'd go to the Diving Centre rather than travel the extra distance and pay the bridge.  The Diving Centre is lovely.

18/05/2011 at 14:04

Hi Seren

Parc Bryn Bach isn't the NEWT club swim site, thats elsewhere. And is becoming more difficult to use. We are looking at possibly arranging a regular(?) swim session at Tredegar, which would be open (? ) just a fee to cover the cost of water safety and a bit to the Parc for changing/showers. Possibly in conjuction with Tredegar Tri Team.

I'll let you know if/when this is going ahead.

Pity that the aquathlons up there wont be done this year. . I believe there are still plans to do a 'Big Swim' at the begining of August in the Parc. All distance up to 3.8K possibly.

Doesn't look like the Dummonds Drub swimsat Ross  by Blacksheep Sports are on either.

18/05/2011 at 14:42

There's always the North Dock in Llanelli, home of this weekend's Llanelli Sprint Tri. It's about 250m in length and you can stand up anywhere, it's also free to swim but 60p to park!

Also if you're feeling adventurous and the tides in, you can cross the road and have a little go in the swell.

Ice creams in the cafe's good too (refueling of course! )

seren nos    pirate
18/05/2011 at 15:16

PP.............I coundn't find any references to swimming on the website this year.........at the dive centre.......

Sorry slugs...i got mixed up a bit..tiredness is my excuse..............yes great shame about the aquathons not going ahead........I usaully do a couple...........

Knowing my luck the bid swim will be when I'm away.............

and i have to say again that Llanelli dock was perfect and free and I would definitely go again if i have someone to share petrol with.........just a bit far on my own............

Iron Pingu    pirate
18/05/2011 at 16:37

Hmm, just tried calling, but no answer, they weren't great at answering last year either! 

Will keep trying.  Pretty sure I just turned up last year and paid a couple of quid.  The guy was saying he was thinking about having a sort of open water membership type thing where you pay a one off fee, don't know if he ever did it though.

18/05/2011 at 20:40
Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
Bobby G - please pop into the Pirate Kit Thread and refer to my posting of 10 May.  Thanks
Iron Pingu    pirate
19/05/2011 at 13:08

Hi Seren, I got through to the dive centre and it's fine to just turn up during their opening times for a swim.  Cost's £5.

Which beaches do people use of sea swimming?

seren nos    pirate
19/05/2011 at 13:26

thanks PP.thats useful..........

I have used barry and porthcawl.........

but awkward on your own

MTri    pirate
19/05/2011 at 13:31
PP, thanks for the update, I'll give that a go, saves the bridge toll as well.

Beaches, Barry and Porthcawl again, not the most scenic of places, or water, but it's do'able, around the turn of the high tide, but not alone
19/05/2011 at 22:13
Right. Am up for saturday, but can't PM you Seren... Mobile technology not up to it, it seems..... Fancy going to the diving centre instead? Not sure if one is closer to the other...?
seren nos    pirate
21/05/2011 at 07:39
right off to see what the bristol one is like and next time probably try out the dive centre
21/05/2011 at 10:28

I would like to get some OW in just in case I can afford a late entry to one of the woody aqua bike things (don't really think I will want to run)

Bryn Bach might be doing able depending on transport links from Newport

MTri    pirate
23/05/2011 at 16:14
Did anyone swim in the Diving Centre over the weekend, just looking for some feedback. I popped in there today just for a look, scary is the only word
Iron Pingu    pirate
23/05/2011 at 16:22

I was in Bristol on Saturday and drove up there on the way back with my wetsuit.  It was so windy I bailed! 

We should all arrange to meet up one day and go, although the next 2 weekends are out for me.

Did you go right down to the water?  It's lovely when you're down there and they have a mini bus that'll take you up and down.

MTri    pirate
23/05/2011 at 16:37
No, I was tight for time, so just stopped in the Car Park, looked through the fence, and took a photo. Looks awesome, but scary, so I'm sure you need to be fairly confident.

What did you think of the lake in Bristol?
21 to 40 of 258 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.