OW swimming in South Wales

Need somewhere to practice as often as possible!!

1 to 20 of 258 messages
17/05/2011 at 08:08
Hi!

I did my first OW tri at the weekend which was also my first ever OW swim. Not something I would recommend, but it hasn't completely put me off and I am now trying to find places to practice. Preferably not the sea as I would probably swallow too much and be sick.

Any hints and tips?
MTri    pirate
17/05/2011 at 09:02
Which part of South Wales? A bit more specific might be able to narrow it down
17/05/2011 at 09:43
Parc Brynbach at Tredegar? used by a few tri clubs I believe and also for competitions.

and I think a few from here swim (have swum?) in Pontiscill Reservoir but don't know if that is official or not for OW swimming.

don't know if you can swim in Llangorse Lake bbut that would be good if you can

and get used to the sea - it's free and 24/7!

seren nos yn canu    pirate
17/05/2011 at 16:14

only newts are allowed to use bryn bach park and they will only allow regular members to join in.........

there is a distinct lack of any ow sessions in south east wales............i travelled down to llanelli a week ago to swim in the north dock there...............that is an ideal venue .........celtic tri use it all the time as do others.........

but its a long drive just for a swim and expensive on the petrol............

i'm hoping to join some of the south wales police at sessions at porthcawl in the sea soon...........if you find any quiet resoviors where you can sneak in and want a swim partner..let me know......

MTri    pirate
17/05/2011 at 16:43
I'm off to Bristol for a swim tonight (www.triopenwater.co.uk), as accessible spots are limited, other than the sea.

Radyr Weir, in Cardiff is listed as an OW swim spot, although never tried it personally.
17/05/2011 at 20:16
and I think a few from here swim (have swum?) in Pontiscill Reservoir but don't know if that is official or not for OW swimming.

Swum it a few times. However you need to do either from the sailing club when no one is about(in the club) or from the north end away from the road. Be warned it's a fecking cold swim, there are pike in there!!
Iron Pingu    pirate
17/05/2011 at 20:52
You can swim at the Chepstow Dive centre quarry, lovely clear water.  The Little Woody had the swim there last year.
Iron Pingu    pirate
17/05/2011 at 20:57

Bloody hell, how did I not know about this place www.triopenwater.co.uk I used to work within spitting distance .. how long has it been available for open water swims?  I've moved office now, but I'm still really close to it!

17/05/2011 at 20:57
PP.........I tried finding the chepstow dive centre on the net a week ago and it didn't seem to be still there...........is it still open
17/05/2011 at 20:58
M.TRIumphant wrote (see)
I'm off to Bristol for a swim tonight (www.triopenwater.co.uk), .

Wow!  That place looks fantastic!  Is it (going to be) a triathlon site?  Am considering going over there on Saturday
17/05/2011 at 21:03
could maybe go on saturday and take the bike as well.............just got to save enough money to pay for the bridge
Iron Pingu    pirate
17/05/2011 at 21:05

Seren, the web site is http://www.ndac.co.uk/.  I think it's still open, haven't heard otherwise.

Schmunkee, I'm heading over there at lunch time tomorrow to check it out!  M.Triumphant, what was it like??

Iron Pingu    pirate
17/05/2011 at 21:08
Seren, you could park in Chepstow and cycle over.  It's about 10 miles.
MTri    pirate
17/05/2011 at 21:27
Just back from Triopenwater in Bristol, good place. £4 to swim, 600m loop marked out by buoys, slightly murky water, but clean, and relatively weed free. Should become a regular fixture.
17/05/2011 at 21:40
PP................I would have to carry my wetsuit and gear................might be heavy on the way back when wet but definitely worth thinking of..............will have to look for a map of the site from the old severn bridge
17/05/2011 at 21:41

or maybe i can see if anyone else is interested from this area and share a car

17/05/2011 at 21:42

Is it open all day or do you have to be out at a certain time.  I am going to be in Bristol and have suggested to my co-rider that we go there first, but if that doesn't happen I could perhaps pop over after the ride.

Is it really only 4'6" deep?  That means I can stand up in it!

PinguPongu - please report back as I am getting quite excited about this

Seren - as above.  I may be there with a bike either in the morning or afternoon

17/05/2011 at 22:21
Oo!!! This is very exiting!! I'm free on Saturday morning... And due to go for a swim... I might well be up for this... Will PM you Seren, if you are still looking for company?
18/05/2011 at 07:15
schmunkee - it is indeed 4'6 plus the sludge on the bottom is lovely for the feet!

There are some carp in there which if you read the 'training for a shorter tri' thread you'll know I had a close encounter with.

If you want to swim during the day give Mike a call - his number is on the website. They close half an hour before dusk, at the moment thats about 8pm.

Great set up if a little rustic, but really friendly bunch and Mike is really supportive and likes to see you improve!
18/05/2011 at 07:17
definitely looking positive for saturday...........especially if we take bikes and look at their 40k circuit advertised.or something............
1 to 20 of 258 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.