pirate cookbook

stick post your fave training food recipes here

21 to 35 of 35 messages
17/02/2010 at 21:21

Happy to be of service! Cooking's one of my hobbies.

I do a mean veggie lasagne too, using aubergine and zucchini instead of meat

could you post the recipe please I cook a lot of veggie as MRS RBM has gall bladder probs and can eat no meat or saturated fats
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
17/02/2010 at 21:38

One large aubergine, 2 medium zucchini, 1 large can tomatoes, large carton of low fat joghurt, low fat grated cheese.

dice the aubergine and zucchini, cook gently until slightly soft and add tomatoes. Lightly grease a cooking tin. Start with a layer of the veg and sauce, then lasagne slices, cover with veg sauce and some joghurt, keep going until all the sauce is used up, finishing with sauce and joghurt. Top with low-fat grated cheese. Bake in  a hot oven for about 30-40 mins depending on your oven.

17/02/2010 at 21:51
ta
OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
18/02/2010 at 22:07

an enormous chilli and rice - cook for 10, reheat / freeze as required, and helps give additional propulsion on the bike.

squidge of olive oil
2-3 onions - gently fry in pan till golden
optional -  add garlic,
add 1kg mince - turn up heat and brown
2 chillie mixes or use nice chilli from the cool chilli company - these guys are great - add as much as you like -
2 - 3 tins tomatoes, throw in fresh ones as well if they are going off...
some beef stock to make it as wet as needed - 200 - 400ml

cook  (longer the better)

add 4 tins of kidney beans / pinto beans, (i through in mung beans as well last time)
I also threw in some dodgy mushrooms etc etc

when almost ready add a tablepoon of red wine / cider vinegar, and a tablespoon of brown sugar

Eat with lots of basmatti rice, (cooked the delia way but add a stock cube to the water).

Edited: 18/02/2010 at 22:07
20/02/2010 at 00:59

WTF?

You nip into the forum and discover its been taken over by "The Readers Digest (RIP) Recipe Club"

I dont even know what a Zucchini is. Dinners come out of tins, cold baked beans to start, straight out of tin so no washing up, lick spoon, open rice pudding, eat, lick spoon put back in drawer. Job done, no washing up and yumtastic to boot

20/02/2010 at 16:19

cold baked beans - yuk!

zucchini are also known as courgettes.

22/02/2010 at 21:29
bassy thanks for the recipe but it was cr@p although the preperation time was good
22/02/2010 at 21:54

Lol, have to confess I do like cold baked beans straight from the tin

Though a nice peppered steak would be preferable..... 

23/02/2010 at 14:41
Ultra Ironwolf wrote (see)

try mashed potatoes with a difference - half ordinary potato, half sweet potato.

Good stuff, though it goes a rather unappealing colour. Also good is that the sweet potato is soft already so no need to add butter, cream or milk etc. Either that, or I cooked them to death as usual.

Also on the potato theme, if I've got some potatoes going a bit bad, I'll mash them up with some spring onions. Really nice. Supplement with some salmon or tuna steak. Grilled if you want to be super healthy.

Or, potato, sweet potato soup. Fry an onion and some garlic, add potato, sweet potato, carrot, ginger, and whatever else you want to get rid of in the fridge. Add vegetable stock. Boil for about five days. Blend. Eat. OK I keep buying too many potatoes at the shop. But who can turn down 2.5Kg for a quid. Bargain.

23/02/2010 at 15:05
You can use sweet potato to make a spicy relish too. Parboil a couple, peel and slice. Layer in an oven dish with slices of peeled apple, sprinkle with cinnamon. Make up a sauce  using half a pint of orange juice, add sugar and  pour it over the yams and apple slices, bake in the oven about 30 mins. Good with baked ham or cold meats.
02/03/2010 at 15:14

Prepared this before my run last night and chucked it in the oven as I left. Came back 1:40 later and it really hit the spot.

Dice 400g or so of pork shoulder or neck, and brown for a few mins on all sides. Remove from the pan, leaving some of the juice and put in a casserole dish. Pop a bit of olive oil in the pan and fry up an onion, a couple of good-sized garlic cloves, a red/green pepper (sliced) a couple of rashers of smoked bacon (chopped) and around 200g chorizo (diced). Add some mixed herbs and paprika (and a bit of cayenne pepper if you fancy it). Bung in a can of chopped tomatoes (keep the can for a minute), season and simmer for a few minutes.Put everything into the casserole dish, then half fill the empty tomato can with red wine and half fill with water (or all with water if you like) and add to the dish.Stir it, and the water cover everything in the dish. Put in the oven at about 180 for about 1:15, take it out, add a can of beans (canellini or black eye) and a big handful of sultansa, then back in for another 20 minutes or so. Serve it up in bowls, with a wedge of brown bread for mopping up juice.yum

Kanga M    pirate
02/03/2010 at 22:09

Yikes, the knitting club has become the WI

02/03/2010 at 22:37

Apple nut butter fru bars. (or any cereal).

Apple butter + nut butter + cereal

(Apple butter is apple puree that you continue to cook until it thickens and turns golden brown. You can add spices or dried fruit to it or not as you fancy. Nut butter, same as peanut butter just different nuts tis all. Mapletons Fru grains the dust after you've snacked on the log size bits).

On the potato front - pot + makeral + horseradish all mashed together.

Edited: 02/03/2010 at 22:40
Dustboy    pirate
03/03/2010 at 00:27
God I need a kebab, I am hungry
03/03/2010 at 08:55
Ah nothing like carpet underlay.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.