Pirate outing to Bala 2014

Pre summer Ironman practice race

1 to 20 of 335 messages
03/09/2013 at 11:20

Who wants to do Bala Middle distance next year?

it's a great race for practicing your nutrition and race day strategy as well as a great race.  it's well organised and a fantastic course.  To top it all they ensure the weather by sacrificing the local virgin to the weather god.  Regardless of what the weather has been like elsewhere or the days preceding the race I have never had bad weather there (OK the sacrificing a virgin bit is an assumption and may not be true).

There is a great campsite up the road with good facilities or if you fancy slumming it the local hotels in Bala will accommodate you.  Overall a great friendly little race with a good deal of pirate history, I'd even go as far as saying the locals enjoy hosting the race.

List:

Avalaf

Edited: 03/09/2013 at 11:21
03/09/2013 at 11:28

What date is it, Avalaf?

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
03/09/2013 at 11:33

Bala really is a great event, its been the 'official' warm up event every year until a couple of years ago, there had been talk of going back next year and 2015.

Peronally I think the lack of a chosen warm up event has left a gap.

I guess its all date dependent.

Rafiki    pirate
03/09/2013 at 11:35

"by sacrificing the local virgin to the weather god"

you mean there's only one virgin in the whole of Wales???

03/09/2013 at 11:35

My best guess is Sunday the 8th of June.  To be confirmed (it may be the 1st but unlikely).

We used to camp for the weekend and do a casual bike course recce on the Saturday afternoon and then generally a try out of the wetsuits after that so its a good training weekend too.

03/09/2013 at 11:36
Rafiki wrote (see)

"by sacrificing the local virgin to the weather god"

you mean there's only one virgin in the whole of Wales???

No there are several in wales, only one in Bala.

Iron Pingu    pirate
03/09/2013 at 11:39

I've been thinking I'd like to do this one again, it was my first longish distance. 

03/09/2013 at 11:46

For those needing a little extra persuasion, last time there was a homemade cake sale in the church hall on the Saturday.

Red Stripe    pirate
03/09/2013 at 11:47

Depending on date I may do it all or as part of a relay - I need bike training for Bolton. 

already doing Wimbleball so date key thing.

Darkness    pirate
03/09/2013 at 11:52

I am very keen on this.  I have only done the Oly in Bala and it was a great event (back when my daughter was 6 weeks old and she is now 6 years old - how time flys)!

I assume the Middle has closed roads too?

03/09/2013 at 11:54

No closed roads but it is well marshalled.  Don't recall any issues since they changed the course.  the old course could get a bit hairy in the second half.

Darkness    pirate
03/09/2013 at 12:07

I am not too bothered about closed roads really, just a very nice added benefit on the Oly.

03/09/2013 at 12:23

This remains my favourite half distance race.  If it were a suitable date I'd love to do it as the warm up event for Nice.  Sadly, however, I don't think it's going to be a great fit.  I guess we have to wait until they announce the date.

03/09/2013 at 12:27

I'm doing Nice and will use this as my last big training weekend before Taper.

03/09/2013 at 12:29
M..o.use wrote (see)

This remains my favourite half distance race.  If it were a suitable date I'd love to do it as the warm up event for Nice.  Sadly, however, I don't think it's going to be a great fit.  I guess we have to wait until they announce the date.

Its ok, its not on the same day

Rafiki    pirate
03/09/2013 at 12:30

And I didn't think you were doing Nice Mouse? Surely Bala would be good coat holding training.....??

03/09/2013 at 12:32

I'm not, Rafi, but I don't want to wear my arms out at Bala before the main event.

03/09/2013 at 12:52

Id like to see someone present some evidence and state how much impact doing a half at race pace 2-3 weeks from an Ironman has.

In fact im also becoming very apathetic about the 3 week taper.  Is it something made up by the same people who think you should build up with a year of sprints, olys, middle distance?

03/09/2013 at 12:53

They announced it a couple of weeks back.... 8th June 

Rafiki    pirate
03/09/2013 at 12:55
Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Id like to see someone present some evidence and state how much impact doing a half at race pace 2-3 weeks from an Ironman has.

I was more concerned about the post race 'debrief' - I'd still have a hangover on the way to the airport for Nice! Hangovers last soooooooo long these days!!!

Edited: 03/09/2013 at 12:56
1 to 20 of 335 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.