Pirate outings in 2014

Is it to early to start the debate?

281 to 300 of 635 messages
05/02/2013 at 14:28

Henley has at least 3 breweries - Brakespear, Lovibonds and Chiltern Valley.   no idea on the cake front 

EDIT:  4 breweries - forgot the Henley Brew House

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 14:29
cougie    pirate
05/02/2013 at 14:33
Excellent work my friend.

Would we be able to organise some kind of beer drinking post race festivity in one of these you think ?
05/02/2013 at 14:37

I haven't read the whole thread, but isn't there talk of IM Reykjavik?

cougie    pirate
05/02/2013 at 14:39
http://www.triceland.is/about.html

That would have to be done. Non wetsuit swim in a lagoon maybe ?
05/02/2013 at 14:45

I had a bottle of Chiltern Valley Barn Ale last night, it had been left over since Christmas.... Didn't make me want to do IM again tho, But a bit of pom pom shaking

05/02/2013 at 18:23
My claim to fame - I am a descendant of the Brakspear Brewery dynasty. Unfortunately, it's the wrong side of the family tree
M...eldy    pirate
05/02/2013 at 18:46

Cake AND beer ....  what larks   

Dubai Dave    pirate
06/02/2013 at 05:18

As a coeliac beer and cake is out, is there Cider?

PSC    pirate
06/02/2013 at 06:09
I'm with you DD!
gas-man    pirate
06/02/2013 at 20:23

I shall be giving Challenge Amsterdam-Almere a go this year.  There's a pub dedicated to us in Amsterdam and for those who like cake a nice coffeeshop just round the corner!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/445279/gallery/photo_(2).jpg?width=350

VTd    pirate
06/02/2013 at 21:43

Gasman, I just checked my diary and I have a weeks work (well sort of work) in Amsterdam in Sept. 

I could configure things about and could sherpa for you on the day if you need a hand.  Otherwise I could just get pissed as usual and miss the whole event .

The Silent Assassin    pirate
07/02/2013 at 08:46
gas-man wrote (see)

I shall be giving Challenge Amsterdam-Almere a go this year.  There's a pub dedicated to us in Amsterdam and for those who like cake a nice coffeeshop just round the corner!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/445279/gallery/photo_(2).jpg?width=350

Don't the coffe shops in Amsterdam put erm different things in their cakes

seren nos    pirate
08/02/2013 at 07:48

Ironwolf...surely that must be againgst some kind of EU stupid law.........all members of the EU states must be treated equal in that country etc etc.........if they have it fior benefits and jobs and prisons etc.surely they must have it for cake eating

Cortina5    pirate
08/02/2013 at 13:08
Bionic Ironwolf wrote (see)

Seren - it's actually an anti-drugs law - used to be legal to sell  Mary Jane etc. to anyone in Amsterdam,  now it's only legal to sell it to their own citizens. Doesn't contravene EU regs since drugs are illegal everywhere else anyway.

I would have thought the fact that it's illegal anywhere else is wholly irrelevant. EU = same rules for everyone (apart from Wales and Scotland ).

Edited to say I do not condone the taking of such substances.

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 13:09
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
08/02/2013 at 17:50

Just to get the thread back on track, my preference is still for Sweden.

Ive been thinking about the issue of cost over the last week, two things spring to mind:

Challenge Henley is cheap as chips and UK based yet how many people have entered!
Not all those promoting Henley as the Pirate championship this year are going. 

Lanza was my first choice for 2014 and I think with hindsight it was probably the best option, I worry that we should aim to get good support and commitment for whichever event is chosen for 2014 or just accept not all Pirate Championships are going to be large scale affairs?

As ive said before I dont think cost should be a major factor in considerations, it should be about trying something different and new locations, also taking in the big events and Ironman branded events where possible.

As far as im aware the contenders for 2014 are:

IM Sweden
Challenge Barcelona
Challenge Almere

M...eldy    pirate
08/02/2013 at 18:15

I do agree with that Barlos but (to sit on the fence a bit) I think it should be a mixture of all those ingredients
We need to get as many people out and about as we can, it needs to be accessible but we dont want to limit ourselves to the UK, I think Henley has fallen foul of some planning doubts and people may well be reservning their entries until that is comfirmed

I would love Sweden but I very much doubt I could afford that .... Barcelona & Almere equally appealing
IM Wales was being bandied about a bit ... that could be a contender as much as Lanza was/is the year?

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
08/02/2013 at 18:30

Ah but we couldnt do Lanza as it wasnt newbie friendly, you reep what you sow

Wales isnt a bad choice but it would  be UK 3 years in a row!

seren nos    pirate
08/02/2013 at 18:33
We are going abroad in2015
Rafiki    pirate
08/02/2013 at 18:34
Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Ah but we couldnt do Lanza as it wasnt newbie friendly, you reep what you sow

Now you tell me!!!

And, just for info - Henley seems to have been resolved.

purpletrilady    pirate
08/02/2013 at 18:35

Surely Wales is just as beginner unfriendly as Lanza?

Selfishly I would prefer something later in the year as I may have plans for June 2014

Challenge Barcelona & Almere both look good,

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.