Pirate outings in 2014

Is it to early to start the debate?

381 to 400 of 700 messages
Britrisky    pirate
08/02/2013 at 21:29

How about a list of possibles, like on the kit list thread, and whichever gets the most wanting to is the championship race, and the 'also rans' remain as other events that will enjoy a pirate presence for whoever wants to do it?

Personally I'd vote for Challenge Copenhagen, because it fits work-wise, and I quite fancy, but that's assuming Outlaw doesn't put me off  

Challenge Copenhagen

Britrisky

08/02/2013 at 21:38

Norseman,

OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
08/02/2013 at 23:25
Im not sure what the discussion is all about. doesn't meldy just decide??
Symes    pirate
08/02/2013 at 23:31

Maybe a tad unfriendly for newbies there Foggy but then is it all about being newbie friendly, that sounds callous I guess, sorry. But the reality is that the very large majority of the people who will sign up are experienced in IM 'racing'.

I agree that it would be good to go somewhere new but there are definitely issues with the practicaility of getting to Sweden and to a lesser extent the so called Barcelona event so does that mean Almere? or Wales? being selfish I/we kinda like the going abroad part of the Pirate events and Wales might pop up on the radar this year as we've got a stupidly early non championship event!

So in summary, fuck knows 

09/02/2013 at 00:01

I'm not sure about friendliness or unfriendliness to newbies but some more thoughts on the cost issue.

Some feedback that I've received through pirates and non-pirate triathletes is that it's not that much cheaper in the UK than abroad.  Some hotels in the UK are much more expensive than some abroad.  Although there are no flights involved, the price differentials may not be all that you think they are.

The other feedback I received is that people want to do the IM abroad and they are prepared to save the money to go there.  The reasons for this are several but they include a higher likelihood of good weather (whereas the weather here is much more likely to be crappy) and also that this is their holiday, they won't have two weeks Turkey, so they want to go somewhere a bit warmer to experience somewhere different, this is the only holiday they will get. Finally, triathlon is expensive and most of the people who do it (especially long distance) know that, and they are prepared to pay those costs.  Some are prepared to race less frequently in order to get the location.

I'm not entirely convinced that price/locality are the big issue that others may think they are.

09/02/2013 at 00:02

And also, if you don't like it, don't go!  We've had pirate splinter groups in previous years, and it didn't seem to be an issue then.

Symes    pirate
09/02/2013 at 00:20

What her said really

09/02/2013 at 06:53
M..o.use wrote (see)

And also, if you don't like it, don't go!  We've had pirate splinter groups in previous years, and it didn't seem to be an issue then.

Spliter!!

purpletrilady    pirate
09/02/2013 at 09:27
Doozer. wrote (see)
If you want beginner friendly do a sprint! An IM is a tough race that requires commitment and dedication, financially and training! No matter which long distance race you choose it will be expensive and tough!

htfu. It's not a knitting club after all

????

I disagree.

The one thing that inspired me about the Pirates was reading the stories of those who had no background in sport who went from zero to IM in 9 months. I was particularly inspired by those who were slow, those pirates for whom the cut off was always going to being an issue. Those were the people who inspired me to do my first IM. And guess what? I don't think doing an IM is that hard. If you've got the time and determination then its within the capability of lots of people.

However, IMWales and Lanza are hard and for those who are slow and beginners then it will be diffcult for for them to make the cut offs.

I am not saying that we shound  always have beginner friendly races as the PSOF champs  but it is a factor we should take into account. 

IronCat5    pirate
09/02/2013 at 09:32
Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)
M..o.use wrote (see)

Spliter!!

Are you the Judean People's front?

Challenge Barcelona is in Calella, which is closer to Girona airport. Calella is a nice part of the world.

Aywhere the pirates are en-masse is Noob friendly.

Rafiki    pirate
09/02/2013 at 09:56

F*cking Judean People's Front?? F*ck Off! We're the People's Front of Judea!! .....

iron fraggle    pirate
09/02/2013 at 10:01

M...eldy    pirate
09/02/2013 at 11:42
I'd quote if I could but Cat, that last line is so very true
cougie    pirate
09/02/2013 at 12:47
I'm voting for somewhere abroad. We've 2 years to save up for it.

Even if it rains - it'll be warm rain abroad.
09/02/2013 at 13:14
Is the rain warm in Sweden always looks feckin freezing on Wallander
Dubai Dave    pirate
09/02/2013 at 14:02
Have any of swum in the Baltic? It's f'ing freezing even in the summer.
09/02/2013 at 14:08
DD as in "its feckin Baltic"
As a kid every year we used to go on holiday to Norfolk play all day in the North sea in a pair of trunks we must have been blue i think i have grown up into a wetsuited wuss
OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
09/02/2013 at 14:44

Nice...?

Its warm there and I fancy a hard bike

or Embrunman??  -  ok maybe not

Did I think / hear they were trying to get a second IM in spain?

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 14:46
seren nos    pirate
09/02/2013 at 18:05
cougie wrote (see)
I'm voting for somewhere abroad. We've 2 years to save up for it.

Even if it rains - it'll be warm rain abroad.

weve agred for 2015 which is austria....

they are now arguing about 2014 which people will have to enter in the summer so only a few months to save up

kittenkat    pirate
09/02/2013 at 18:08
F.oggy wrote (see)

Norseman,

I would LOVE to do Norseman, but with a full time job, full time family, full time Internet arguments and a husband working shifts... It aint going to happen.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.