Pirate outings in 2014

Is it to early to start the debate?

441 to 460 of 700 messages
seren nos    pirate
21/02/2013 at 20:16

so he gcan get himself in trouble...........anyone whoi does IMW this year can have a year off next year to recover for 2015 in austria

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
21/02/2013 at 20:29
If its Sweden, doesnt mean others cant race in Wales.

Is there a danger that choosing Wales could leave you hanging in the wind if there is doubt over 2014 event? Id guess we'd not find out till Sept/Oct.

Does it matter if only say dozen people go to Sweden?
seren nos    pirate
21/02/2013 at 20:30

at the moment it only seems to be you and mouse barley

21/02/2013 at 20:42
Wales is a good option but to choose it you really need some assurace itll be on next year (would be mental for WTC to remove it in my view)
21/02/2013 at 20:45
I agree with Mouse though, we need to get away from the UK a bit, I think the UK events we've done lack the electricity and atmosphere than when a loy of us are holed up in a hotel overseas.

IM France could be another option, but thats going over old ground.
Mr StOat    pirate
21/02/2013 at 20:51
Has Barcelona been discounted?
21/02/2013 at 21:01
Not discounted but Personally i fail to get excited about Barcelona or Almere, i see that theyre choices of some people. I also worry that theyve got the potential to fail to get others enthusiasm in the same way that Henley has.

I decided to enter Henley this year to show solidarity as it was chosen as the Pirate champs and support the race despite Lanza being my preferred choice.

Its a bit dissapointing to see some of those who were pushing it last year are not doing it.
Mr StOat    pirate
21/02/2013 at 21:08

In that case I'd go for Sweden. Its a beautiful place, not cheap thoguh

Having said that, I've not done my first yet, so I've no idea why I'm even thinking about what I'm doing next year

21/02/2013 at 21:12
It was easier to reach a consensus in the past as all the races were new to most of us. Over the years the options have become more complicated as some people have done a lot of races so rule themselves out from certain events.

There were also no decent UK events until Outlaw & Wales, now those and other new UK races are an easy option for people, this skews the decision process I think, it also has the potential to limit us reaching a decent consensus for an overseas race (except in the example of Austria 2015 which seems a special case)

It could be that given the change in dynamics we'll now struggle to get a dozen or so committing to any overseas race? Personally I dont think that should matter, its also not to say that UK, Barcelona etc are not viable options. We should be looking to explore and excite, pick races that are spepick (special and epic)
21/02/2013 at 21:20
As Meldy suggested on previous page theres no reason to decide now, we have till May. Not deciding doesnt stop people saving up?
Britrisky    pirate
21/02/2013 at 21:24
Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
We should be looking to explore and excite, pick races that are spepick (special and epic)

that'll be Himalayan Man, then  ... or Arctic Man ... or how about Andes Man?!!

Rafiki    pirate
21/02/2013 at 21:26

I would certainly prefer an overseas event and would be happy to go along with any foreign destination that ship sails to.

For me, I like the fact that 30 weeks of training will culminate in a 'big' week away somewhere new, not just a trip  up the M6, or down the M4! (although I appreciate I have fewer restrictions than some).

OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
21/02/2013 at 21:58
Re henley...
I am broken now and want to see if i can survive the run at lanza before signing up for henley.
If i can i may well sign up for henley as an end of season blow out..... Unless i get pursuaded to do mexico in nov/dec 2013....

If i can race then i fancy nice or maybe embrun man as something bonkers to do.....
Edited: 21/02/2013 at 22:00
22/02/2013 at 06:50
Good point Barley if somebody is pushing a destination if its picked do the feckin thing i am still looking at Almere but if there is a large gathering at Wales l would torture myself again on that course it was great
Deffo up for Austria started saving already
M...eldy    pirate
22/02/2013 at 07:20

Well said Barlos

We can just rabbit away until May time then 

22/02/2013 at 08:00
Hmmm, yes! When I thought Lanza might clash with something I wanted to do, I was told in no uncertain terms that He was going to Lanza as He had started the thread and He had persuaded others to go to. This was before entries even opened

I do agree that Henley has turned into a bit of a non-starter as far as it being the Champs is concerned.
flyaway    pirate
22/02/2013 at 08:03
Personally, I think you should just call Lanza the Champs. There are enough of You going, and enough "regulars" who will do next years as well as a handful of newbies.
seren nos    pirate
22/02/2013 at 08:06

or wales as the champs if you are not going next year...................but i think barley said before it would be uunfair to change henley if case anyone had signed up for it specifically as it was the championship race

M...eldy    pirate
22/02/2013 at 08:09

Obviously I agree with Flyers but I also agree with Seren

I like my fence  

flyaway    pirate
22/02/2013 at 08:11
You know there is a core of yearly regulars doing Lanza though. The later races are a bit uncertain still. I'm not being anti-newbie, but I think the championship should have a decent proportion of old-timers who still race at it. You run the risk of Henley being a flop and wishing you'd had it at Lanza. If Henley is great, have another.
I'm not doing either, so I am unbias.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.