Is it to early to start the debate?

101 to 120 of 652 messages
01/02/2013 at 16:58
On a seprate not anyone know the Bala campsite we usually all use
seren nos yn canu    pirate
01/02/2013 at 16:58
M.r Zuvai wrote (see)
Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

I dont think it has? id doubt it ever will be, its an enormous lake.

it was last year

Oh dear..its a lot of money to pay to drown

cougie    pirate
01/02/2013 at 17:32
http://www.glanllyn.com/ is the Bala camp.

Ooh Austria would be great for the 10th Anniversary - I missed it the first time as I was back in Frankfurt after flunking it the year before. (but I'll go anywhere)
Dubai Dave    pirate
01/02/2013 at 17:51
Austria is awesome, that swim is like evian water, no duck poo to be seen, the bike is glorious and the run, well no IM run is fun. Gets my vote, I've just talked myself out of retirement.

By the way Abu Dhabi has the worlds most boring bike ride unless looking at sand rocks your boat, run is shite too but it is very slickly organised. Suspect that it might be in its last year though as funding to the Abu Dhabi Tri team has been canned. Plenty of beer in Abu Dhabi
M...eldy    pirate
01/02/2013 at 18:01
Crash Hamster wrote (see)

I'd rather do Austria that Switzerland; Worthersee was orsum for the swim, the bike was quick and the run course was much less confusing than at CH. Did they not also have a finishline announcer who announced a certain pirate as "Aleeson Asshole"?

Oh, and GOM can buy Mrs G an eternity ring...

and If ANYONE fecking mentioned YMCA there will be blood shed

Austria 2015 .. bring it on  

01/02/2013 at 18:16
I'm not sure I even have a diary to put it in. I shall have to write myself a post it note.

Crashie - was it Austria you said was your joint favourite with Germany for slick organisation?
01/02/2013 at 18:20

i have only got myself a 2013 diary today........no no chance for 2015

01/02/2013 at 18:21

Seems odd to think of Challenge Henley as "The Champs" this year, since almost all of the well known, established Pirates are going to Lanza instead, aren't they? Henley feels very much "after the Lord Mayor's show" with about as much Wow Factor as the opening of a tin of spam. Especially after doing another low-key, UK event last year, I imagine it might broaden the appeal of Pirating, but it certainly won't deepen it.

I'm with you as always, KK; somewhere expensive and warm where they do funny dances to soft-rock anthems. Keep out the plebs, families and above all the dog owners .

Oh... and I think Sweden sold out 1,950 places in 3 days this year, so it's unlikely to solve the "how will we all get in" challenge any better than Austria.

Edited: 01/02/2013 at 18:22
cougie    pirate
01/02/2013 at 18:23
Ahem... I will be doing Challenge Henley.

Lanzas far too early in the season for me !
M...eldy    pirate
01/02/2013 at 18:26

Austria swim is GAWJUSS - I should know I spent enough time in it

01/02/2013 at 18:28

Well said, Spital's finest!

I really ought to go where Crashie goes. I stoopidly managed to get my kids' spreadshirt tees printed with "Crashies Little Fan Club", thinking that was just a sample print and I'd be able to get my own name inserted. They'd have a purpose if Crashie was there too!

cougie    pirate
01/02/2013 at 18:44
Ironman isnt cheap. At least we're giving people notice that there will be a ten year anniversary race and it looks like it will be abroad. Abroad isnt that much more expensive than in the UK - and at least we get a better chance of sunshine.

We've had the official races in the UK for 2 years in a row.

Basically - if you're really skint - then you probably won't be doing triathlon. Skint people cant really afford to piss away upwards of ??200 on a race entry. (dont tell me how much the real cost is - I close my eyes when entering)

I cut the costs by not taking the family to races overseas. Its not much of a break for them anyway.
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
01/02/2013 at 18:59

KK, I worked an 80-90 hour week a couple of weeks ago, ive had 3 days off work so far this year, yes I can afford to go and I bloody deserve it.

cougie    pirate
01/02/2013 at 19:00
True. Running is cheap. Unless you fall for the marketing - then its not !
Crash Hamster    pirate
01/02/2013 at 19:06

If I've got a fan club going, I'm sold

Mousers, yeah, thought Austria was very well organised, loved the place, the atmosphere; would've liked a Germany-stylee run course, but at least it wasn't as mind-boggling as Switzerland; I think they've tinkered with the transition a bit since we last went, but that's ok.

01/02/2013 at 19:10
slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Well said, Spital's finest!

I really ought to go where Crashie goes. I stoopidly managed to get my kids' spreadshirt tees printed with "Crashies Little Fan Club", thinking that was just a sample print and I'd be able to get my own name inserted. They'd have a purpose if Crashie was there too!

I'm scared stiff of that website.i've seen some great mistakes.but that goes near the top of the list

Crash Hamster    pirate
01/02/2013 at 19:16

I seem to remember ATOM giving away a shirt or two that had been ordered by his M-i-L

There are enoough Pirates now to make for a decent turnout at several events a year and I know we've had fantastic fun with all the hoo-ha of the 'official' race at a different event; only thing missing was the official trophies (though I do treasure my Pirates Fuzzy Felts ) 'Tis really what you make it; if you're at an unofficial event, organise your own mince off

01/02/2013 at 19:20
Surely you cut your cloth to suit yourself.

People get Stella'd up a couple of times a week. That's fine; it's their money.

People want to go foreign IMs. That's fine; it's their money.

If you want to do something really badly, then surely you would make whatever sacrifices are necessary. If you can't, or don't want to, make those sacrifices, then do you want it badly enough
01/02/2013 at 19:22

This year and last year have had massive pirate races at outlaw and wales.......for those who do not want to save for austria in 2 years time there will still be pirate outing in this country........

without organising our own pirate ironman race with free bikes and wetsuits  then there is no way to make it accessible to the whole country...........unless you have worked out a way.....

so it is arranged with notice and then individuals can make their own choices and dscisions........maybe a few will give up alcohol for the 2 years to save for it.or sell a kidney...or decided that they are happy to stay at home.......

or maybe some will prefer to do just one ironman and so would prefer it to be one big one abroad rather than do a few home ones.

everyones an adult here and make their own decisions on what they want to do with their money

Crash Hamster    pirate
01/02/2013 at 19:27

"What the Pirates is about" is evolving all the time; it was for IM; it was all about 'swim a bit, bike a lot, run a lot'; it was about a road trip; it was about having fun with a few mates.

Now there are training plans, people doing sprints, racing in Britain, playing with loads of people, even winning things; none of it was in the original plan, but that's ok, it's changed.

You don't join up, just join in, there's no official club, so there's no rules and no agenda; if anyone wants to do a Pirate Race at any event anywhere, they're free to do so; ATOm and I are off to Vichy this year; i think Ironwolf is doing the half; voila, one instant Pirate Party (of 3)

101 to 120 of 652 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.