Pirate Race Team

Discuss

401 to 420 of 478 messages
Crash Hamster    pirate
28/11/2013 at 19:34

I'm just really disappointed that you went with 'Buccaneers' rather than 'PRaT'...

Crash Hamster    pirate
28/11/2013 at 19:35

...I suppose it's understandable

seren nos    pirate
28/11/2013 at 20:08

I just get confused because one moment it referred to as the pirates race team and then on another its nothing to do with pirates just a race team where most of the member just happen to be pirates.....and may or may not race in pirate kit.......

but the sponsers are buying in as they are hoping to tie into the big growth of pirates.

so is it a pirate team or not...

confused of south wales

28/11/2013 at 20:11

Only Barleys have the answer.

As you were.

28/11/2013 at 21:34

Its not a pirate team, its a team where made up of pirates...

Yes triathlete mag wants to get pirate subs and to use the pirates to do race reports but this all came off the back of me asking for a discount on xendurance and found out the guy who does this product in the UK is also the publisher for the mag and so an idea was born which I thought would be welcome (cheers Joddly) but obviously trying to pass on a bit of a deal is selling you all out.

So please return all you pirate kit to Barlos, he'll then emblazon it the appropriate logos and return it....

Don't like the offer - don't use - don't like that people that have / are /could be pirates have a team that only references them by saying they met within PSOF then I'm sorry. But that's the facts.

As Adam mentioned, I'm the tight Scot looking for free stuff, no one else on the team particularly likes the idea, possibly (read totally) my fault for using Freespeed as a bit of a template. 

TheEngineer    pirate
28/11/2013 at 22:00

Just a question... Why is it considered  detrimental to a "pirate ethos"any more than the expansion of PSOF and the associated kit for events other than ironman? Is there not kit out there that hasnt even been used in tri?? 

When kittenkat posts about people not using kit for IM from scratch, everyone jumps down her neck and says the pirates are different now. If change is therefore allowed and in many ways inevitable, is it not a good thing that the buccaneer tri movement ARE a splinter group? That way the core of the original movement (if that even exists any more) may remain here.

And if using PSOF kit is an issue, why not expel buccaneers and revoke their right to wear kit, to preserve the image (that is now being trotted round a park run near you!). Obviously an aspiration to compete rather than complete is more sufficient grounds for exile than a complete absence of desire to even participate...

Edited: 28/11/2013 at 22:08
IronCat5    pirate
28/11/2013 at 22:11
TheEngineer wrote (see)

Just a question... Why is it considered  detrimental to a "pirate ethos"any more than the expansion of PSOF and the associated kit for events other than ironman? Is there not kit out there that hasnt even been used in tri??

I'm sure there are many bike jerseys that haven't been used for tri.

PSOF will always meander like a river. Lots of fuss over nothing.

Edited: 28/11/2013 at 22:14
TheEngineer    pirate
28/11/2013 at 22:21
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
TheEngineer wrote (see)

I'm sure there are many bike jerseys that haven't been used for tri.

PSOF will always meander like a river. Lots of fuss over nothing.

Not my point, there exist among the subset of owners of pirate kit a real number of people who purchased kit to race in, who never intend to complete an IM. And I don't mean supporters.

The second part though is exactly what I'm trying to say. Whilst not 'a lot of fuss' as much as a vocal minority, I think it is on a shaky foundation (regardless of how honourable the intent). 

29/11/2013 at 05:02

I was initially resistant to this ldea but hey ho 6? Pirates are racing as Bucaneers and have a website with or without adverts, lifes to feckin short, good luck race strong you Bucaneers you, and arrrrrrrh or whatever

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
29/11/2013 at 06:31

So since I'm no longer physically allowed to do any more IMs does that DQ me from wearing the pirate kit then because I'm "only" competing in shorter events? Not going to happen, I wear the kit even if doing a sprint race.

Doozer.    pirate
29/11/2013 at 07:19
Fegan says 

As Adam mentioned, I'm the tight Scot looking for free stuff, no one else on the team particularly likes the idea, possibly (read totally) my fault for using Freespeed as a bit of a template. 

A bit ironic that you are using the template of freespeed. Isn't that run by the designer of the pirate kit?  Works for them and they have had great success, but please don't start riding team Planet X bikes

I dont get how getting a few discounts on magazines, energy drinks etc is any different than clubs do all over the country. My old club used to get a 40% blue seventy discount because of a contact.  It's hardly an issue!  The way I see it, Gary has sorted out this discount for his new team and decided to pass it on to the many pirates that could benefit!  No selling out there, if you want to use it, use it, if you don't then don't!

Barley - have you ever criticised Rosey for having D and M cycles on his pirate kit? He gets looked after well by them so shows his support by having their name on his kit, (not a criticism of Nick at all, I agree with him doing it).  Does that make him a sell out?

off to get my Tri Europe subscription - even more ironic on a triathlon world website

M...eldy    pirate
29/11/2013 at 07:51
Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

6? Pirates are racing as Bucaneers and have a website with or without adverts, lifes to feckin short, good luck race strong you Bucaneers you, and arrrrrrrh or whatever

What he said ... (without the resistance)

Cona    pirate
29/11/2013 at 08:05
Doozer. wrote (see)
Barley - have you ever criticised Rosey for having D and M cycles on his pirate kit? He gets looked after well by them so shows his support by having their name on his kit, (not a criticism of Nick at all, I agree with him doing it).  Does that make him a sell out?

Yes.  Massive sell out... now where is my free coffee of Hawaii stuff?

The Silent Assassin    pirate
29/11/2013 at 08:20
TheEngineer wrote (see)

why not expel buccaneers and revoke their right to wear kit,

How can we expel people when we don't have a joining fee/membership etc

I have to agree with RBM and Meldy

TheEngineer    pirate
29/11/2013 at 09:02
The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
TheEngineer wrote (see)

why not expel buccaneers and revoke their right to wear kit,

How can we expel people when we don't have a joining fee/membership etc

I have to agree with RBM and Meldy

That's my point... I'm allowed to be a member of PSOF and my local tri club, so it's clear that the ship isn't exclusive. I'm allowed to race in pirate kit regardless of what race I'm doing (if I so choose) so it's obvious that it's not strictly zero-IM in x months or any of that b*llocks. So what's the problem with people who race in Pirate kit doing something different?

The suggestion of expulsion was half Devil's Advocate, half tongue very firmly in cheek - pointing out how ridiculous the hissy fits about it are. I'm 100% behind Fegan.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
29/11/2013 at 09:24
TheEngineer wrote (see)
I'm 100% behind Fegan.

Yes, but if you train hard I reckon you'd catch him.

29/11/2013 at 09:52

some people gave me a right bollocking for daring to appear on the official video of XTERRA  NOT wearing pirate kit.  some even accused me of wearing Tripetalk kit ffs.   so if you've worn pirate kit in the past, it seems you HAVE to wear pirate kit in the future??

it was my club kit having an outing instead.   in fact every race this year, I have worn club kit - can't see anything wrong with that as I do belong to a club y'know and I can make my own mind up what to wear - I'm a big boy now

this whole issue is getting - sorry has got - blown out of all proportion to what the reality is

anyway - where's my buccanears??  either side of my buccinead.....

Edited: 29/11/2013 at 09:52
Duda the Mutineer    pirate
29/11/2013 at 10:08

I though the ethos of the Pirates was there is room for the sub 10's, room for the fag smokers and those that cross the finish line swilling a pint the fat men that finish and everything in between. Isn't  that what what inclusive mean? I don't think that Fegan is trading on the pirate name anymore than Iron Holgs was. So in both cases not at all, imho they are, pirates it part of there Tri identity  and ther would be as much bru harrhar if they ignored it. Plus their  achievement reflect well on the Pirates.

Somebody mentioned the Buccaneers as a splint group. Groups that splinter are often damaged in the process, both factions  come out damaged. So surely the buccaneers should be seen a spearhead or cutlass point.

Calm seas and fair winds. 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
29/11/2013 at 10:21
fat buddha wrote (see)

some people gave me a right bollocking for daring to appear on the official video of XTERRA  NOT wearing pirate kit.  some even accused me of wearing Tripetalk kit ffs.   so if you've worn pirate kit in the past, it seems you HAVE to wear pirate kit in the future??

'A right bollocking' is a bit strong!  It was all tongue in cheek in the context of the 'Pirate Spotting' thread.  Although I can understand the outrage at being accused of wearing tripetalk kit, sorry about that.

This is all turning into the Judean Popular People's Front.

M...eldy    pirate
29/11/2013 at 10:23

Nah ... its the Peoples Front of Judea 

401 to 420 of 478 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.