Pirate Tri Top

Gear

21 to 40 of 55 messages
17/06/2013 at 15:33

I am pretty lucky as I know the area well, being fairly local and actually drive a good chunk of the bike route every day to get to work – the far turnaround point is actually in front of Muller where I work.

The road is a busy one – often with a lot of traffic on it, usually lorries / trucks so that will probably prove the biggest issue on the day, part of it is down a dual carriage way as well. But there really isn’t any major hills, more what I would describe as a couple of gentle rises so I would predict fast bike splits / mph’s. And a fair few roundabouts on the route – hopefully they will be well marshalled.

The plan is to do a lap of the route at some point on my bike, just to ensure its as flat as it appears in a car and to try and spot any major potholes lurking.

I plan to do one of the swimming nights as well – mainly to practise the process of doing 750 metres getting out, running and then doing another 750 metres. From what  have heard the water is as clean as you can get.

19/06/2013 at 05:13

That's all sounds good. I am working in Saudi at the moment so nearly all my training is on the flat (Apart from some hill training on the tourbo trainer!) I have to get my long bike rides in early in the morning, starting at 0430' while the local as are still asleep or the roads get too dangerous because of the terrible driving out here! 

My open water swimming has all debentures in the sea, so I want to see now different the fresh wafter lake will be. 

If you get out on the bike course let me know what you think. 

thanks for the all the course updates. Good luck with your training. 

12/07/2013 at 08:55

i managed to do a chunk of the bike loop course yesterday and its like i thought -

busy with trucks - which might be an issue come race day

a few mammouth pot holes

and flatter than a flat thing

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/739733/gallery/capture1.png?width=350

12/07/2013 at 16:20

Shame about the trucks but good to know its flat!  How's your training going? I've upped all my milage And managed a couple of 1.2 mile open water swins in the sea. Temp is up in the 40's here now( I'm a Brit expat working Saudi at the moment) having to do a lot of my riding on the indoor trainer, or go out before the sun comes up! 

Thanks for the course info, much appreciated! 

15/07/2013 at 11:20

I did my first Olympic distance tri at the weekend and found the swim, bike went pretty well as did the transitions – but I struggled on the run so I think I need to up that element of my training. Hopefully the struggles were down to the heat as I couldn’t get my mouth to be anything other than completely dry, horrible run of 55minutes

Hopefully they can do something about the traffic on race day as otherwise there will be a lot of annoyed people around come the day – especially as the full distance is 4 loops of the same route.

It’s only 34 days away now J

17/07/2013 at 11:10

That's a good time for your oylimpic distance, nice one! I would be more than happy with 55 min for the 10km. 

I was out hit his morning at 4 am and got 40 km in before it got too hot. Running this lunch time(treadmill, but it better than nothing!)

34 days and counting! Looking forward to it, just hope I've done a enough training to get around in haof decent time! 

I've managed to download the bike course on my Tacx and have rode the loop a few times now. It's is flat as you say. Easy on the indoor trainer with no trucks about! 

Well done on the oylimpic distance! Looking forward to meeting you next month.did yo manage to get a Pirate Tip in the end?

17/07/2013 at 12:24

i did borrow a top, but it was to small for me - kept riding up when i went for a run - so it looks like you will be the sole pirate on the day !

Cake    pirate
17/07/2013 at 12:38

budjude I've got a XL monico you can borrow if you like just take care of it we've been through a lot together. Afraid as we have been through a lot together there are a couple of blood stains on it if your happy with that. Can never get the blood of it.

If you message me with a address I can have it posted out to you the week before the race as going to need it the weekend before this one.

17/07/2013 at 12:42

Quality cheers mate will do.

you wear it out on a saturday night to get the blood stains in it, surely you cant have fallen off with it all - you seem so professional

Cake    pirate
17/07/2013 at 12:46

Professional me? Mate have you not been warned yet I'm a right muppet.

17/07/2013 at 12:55

isnt everyone on here? (thought that was the point)

Cake    pirate
17/07/2013 at 12:55

17/07/2013 at 13:29

this has made my day - was disappointing to think i wasnt going to get wear the colours - seems apt the first time i do will be in a distance way, way beyond my abilities

Barnacle - just out of interest what was your average speed for a full loop? very impressed that you managed to get the route. I need to do the full loop - if possible i actually want to do the full route for the day before hand and see if i can walk - let alone complete a 13 mile run

17/07/2013 at 16:48

He hasn't bloomin returned it yet mind  

17/07/2013 at 16:54

I averaged 29.5 kph on the loop (About 18mph)  The Taxc software is good and downloaded the course accurately from goggle earth maps with gradients etc but can't simulate headwinds or slowing down for roundabouts etc, so that's a rough guide. Good news about the top.????

Cake    pirate
17/07/2013 at 17:03
MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

He hasn't bloomin returned it yet mind  

Don't worry there is that much sweat gone into it down the years that if he doesn't it will form it's own lifeform and come back on it's own.  

Cake    pirate
17/07/2013 at 17:07

I'm really selling this tri top arn't I.

17/07/2013 at 17:09

17/07/2013 at 17:15

Thought it was a lend? 

Cake    pirate
17/07/2013 at 17:17

Don't you start this poor lad might think we are all nutter's  It is a lend.

21 to 40 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.