Pirates question

1 to 20 of 58 messages
10/08/2012 at 22:11

Ok this is a one off post from a one off profile, that I don't plan on using after this, so that I can ask some questions while preserving a bit of anonymity.

I've been around the site and the forum since what must be the early or mid 2000s, I'm not someone who posts heavily, just when I think I've got something to contribute or might be of help.

Next year I'm planning on doing an Ironman distance triathlon. I'm planning on racing under the Pirates banner. I know what an amazing bunch the Pirates are and have met a few at some events a couple of years back.

The issue I have and the reason for the post is that I'm transsexual, specifically male to female, and started living and working as a female at the start of this year. Due to the fact that by the time I take part in a race next year I will only be 15 months on hormones, wont have had any surgery and so will still have some, if not quite a lot, of the advantages of a male physiology I've decided that I'm going to have to enter under my birth gender (male).

Kittenkat is currently mentoring me and she's aware of the situation and knows that I'm posting this.

The things I'd like to ask are:

Would anyone have a problem with me racing under the Pirates banner?

Also as on a daily basis I'm female to everyone that I meet, or at least as best as I can be, would it be a problem for anyone that other than on race day I'd be my normal self for the rest of race weekend?

I know that doing an Ironman distance race is tough, I've read various race reports, and I don't want to my racing to be a distraction to anyone, what I'd like to do is get an idea of people's feelings on this.

Forgive me if I don't respond promptly to any responses as I'm having to borrow my son's old laptop while mine is being repaired.

WildWill    pirate
10/08/2012 at 22:17

Life to short to get to caught up on what others think ... be true to yourself and enjoy your journey to IM in the yellow and black

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
10/08/2012 at 22:20
Going to be my first IM too so best of luck and no issues here, but I am but a mere cabin boy on the ship of fools but I think that must have been hard to post, and I think that is very brave and you have total respect from me OneOff
Rafiki    pirate
10/08/2012 at 22:26

What they said - welcome to the mad house

Razor51    pirate
10/08/2012 at 22:32

+ 1 what Will said, I'll look forward to seeing you in pirate black and yella and good luck to you in the future. 

10/08/2012 at 22:53
As far as I'm concerned if anybody who claimed to be a Pirate and had an objection they are not a true Pirate!!
Welcome aboard!!
Dustboy    pirate
10/08/2012 at 23:31

You see a pirate, you notice the yeller & black and how much they appear to be hurting, not what's in their trousers.

Go for it, I'll ride with you anytime and sure the rest would too. 

Iron Pingu    pirate
10/08/2012 at 23:43

No probs and enjoy the IM

Dustboy    pirate
11/08/2012 at 00:18

Every time Cake posts, I want a bacon sandwich.

cougie    pirate
11/08/2012 at 00:50
Welcome aboard !
Dustboy    pirate
11/08/2012 at 00:51

You want one too?

citizen 146    pirate
11/08/2012 at 02:53

Welcome aboard! 

Dubai Dave    pirate
11/08/2012 at 05:26

Go for it, Pirates are all inclusive

PSC    pirate
11/08/2012 at 05:56
I am sure everyone is going to say the same. Welcome to the mad house. Ironman is a personal challenge that hurts. We all hurt whether young or old, boy or girl. Not that you need it, but you've got my full support. Good luck and Go Pirate.
kittenkat    pirate
11/08/2012 at 08:05

YEAH! I knew this would get a positive reaction.

You know you have my full support. xx

seren nos    pirate
11/08/2012 at 08:08

if you have met a number of pirates you would realises what a mixed bag we are..........welcome aboard

11/08/2012 at 08:20

I'm not a pirate, not even an triathlete (yet!) but very brave to post that and wow what a response! I heard the pirates were a very inclusive and this certainly appears true.

11/08/2012 at 08:33

Good on you - get out there and get it done - in whatever way you're comfortable. It's your journey.

IronCat5    pirate
11/08/2012 at 09:04

Go for it. IM is hard enough without extra worries, crack on.

11/08/2012 at 09:06

Great, welcome aboard.... enjoy the ride to IM

1 to 20 of 58 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.