Please Help!! where do I start

I WILL do a Tri this year

21 to 40 of 74 messages
13/01/2013 at 19:10

Thanks guys! I'm off to the pool in the morning and can not wait!!

Ironholgs    pirate
15/01/2013 at 15:04

Glad it's going well, good luck with everything.

16/01/2013 at 19:09

The Outlaw 2014.... someone else has mentioned that!

Swam for the last 3 days on the trot and although tired today the penny has dropped! I've practiced and practiced and today I felt awesome! I'm so excited! although 400m nonstop still seems a long way away!

Bike still in bits not to mention too much snow and ice for me to even think about going out on it even if I had it!

21/02/2013 at 16:05

Swimming going well!!  Swam in the North Sea yesterday!!

Trogs    pirate
21/02/2013 at 18:48

Nutter!!

21/02/2013 at 21:26
I hope you had a wetsuit on!? Still a nutter though!
25/02/2013 at 17:58

Hey... yep wetsuit, 2 pairs of socks a pair of gloves and 4 swimming hats on!! it was awesome!!

Haha just seeing my post of the 16th Jan about 16 lengths being a long way..... well today I nailed it for the first time!!  loved it!! could have done more.... maybe I appreciated the heat of the pool after my last dip!!??

25/02/2013 at 18:05
Well done! On the sea swim and 16 lengths. I think you will see big improvements quickly now! How long did you stay in the sea!? I dont suppose you have found a way to combat face freeze??
25/02/2013 at 18:49

Thank you EllieO!! I was in the sea for 10 long minutes, as I have never been open water swimming let a lone in the sea I did'nt think that was too bad! I never got face freeze I think that's because my hats came all the way down my forehead to my big goggles, only bit exposed were cheeks!

I am thinking of going along to the local tri club but it's a bit scarey if they will all be ubber fast! I quite fancey some more open swims in time!

25/02/2013 at 19:08

great progress, now you can do 400m you'll be doing a mile next in no time.

well worth speaking to the local tri club, I joined mine when I reached 400m and there were others there who struggled to do a length.

25/02/2013 at 20:28

Thanks for that HONK maybe I'll give it a few more weeks.... just a bit more confidence! or maybe once I'v done this 20mile race that I booked onto and am now regreting somewhat!

Question, how long should I leave it beween swims? I would like to go again tomorrow, as I can't wednesday or Friday, Is that too soon?? Is it a case that less is more?

I know that with running, I feel better for doing shorter distances everyday ( well nearly everyday!) does it work the same for swimming or do you just get webbed feet?

Oh and haven't got my bike back yet that's another world of pain just waiting to get me!!

Crash Hamster    pirate
25/02/2013 at 21:14

I'd say swim as much as you can, providing you're not too tired! Swimming is all about technique, so practice will make permanent.

25/02/2013 at 21:16

if your not feeling tired then you should be fine to swim again tomorrow, in fact lots of short swims are probably the best thing you can do at the moment. When I swim further now I like to leave at least a day in between swims to recover but its easier to recover from swimming than it is running.

04/03/2013 at 16:04

OUCH!!!!

Got the bike!! The guy who serviced and fitted it say he would take me out on it so I know how to ride it etc... I thought it would be from his house to mine (a mile) Oh no..... 10 miles later I was home...... I wore Jeans......HUGE MISTAKE!!

05/03/2013 at 17:11

Jeans - Yikes!! Denim seams...

I have a shorts ques. Only usually wear running tights but probably need to buy padded shorts - do you girls / guys train in 'tri' stuff or do you think that 'proper' cycling chorts are necessary for getting the miles in??

Can I 'transition' the question into another 'beginnerish' one...Long run? Is it acceptable / of value to split long run e.g. 5m (way to work)  and 10m home... or is that pointless?

Really need some tips on how to make things flexible and still count.

So sorry if this should have been a new thread. Also someone let me know if there is a limit to how many numpty newbie questions allowed before you get kicked off... I have searched through to try and find answers from threads past.

Rafiki    pirate
05/03/2013 at 17:17

Ges ogt - no limit on questions!!

Shorts - I use cycle tights for long rides at the moment, but thats coz its cold out. You do need to get use to cycling in tri stuff - so better sooner than later. And if you have a decent saddle that fits then less padding is often more comfortable. Its the padding bunching up that tends to casue sores.

And its can be beneficial to split the ling runs into two - but just not all the time. Splitting the runs allows you to get the miles in, but reducing the risk of strains etc. But alsp reduces the build up of stamina. A bit of mixing amd matching is OK - but err towards single long runs whenever possible.

05/03/2013 at 17:25

Hey Ges Ogt, thanks for posting ask as many newbie questions as you like I will be interested in the replies!

I was wondering the same, so first purchase should it be a tri suit? Any recommendations on brands, or advice on sizes I'm more of a 12/14 than a 10/12.

05/03/2013 at 22:34

Ouch! Jean seams not pleasant!

Ges Ogt and G&W Tigger - I don't wear proper cycling shorts for cycling. UNtil recently have just worn compression shorts or running leggins. It caused problems with my original saddle, although no amount of padding would have helped with the cheese wire feeling. I now have a saddle that is wider at the back and, touch wood, so far so good. Admittedly I got some tri shorts a couple of weeks back (leggins over the top at the mo) and they do make things a bit comfier, but I could manage without.

G&W Tigger - I didn't have any tri gear for my first triathlon. I now have tri shorts and top, as I have quite a long torso and all in one type things never fit, plus I always need the loo. I guess it is personal preference.  The tri shorts and top I got were 2xu from startfitness.co.uk (they had a good deal on). I am a 10/12 and went for the medium, but I don't like things too tight. There is definately room in top and bottoms, especially room in the top as I don't have much to put in it!

07/03/2013 at 10:20

Thanks kind folk. Feel so much better that a split run every 3/4 weeks is not going ruin my 'ticks' and 'colourful' dots!

Keep promising myself that I will buy tri-gear when I feel slim / fit enough to wear it

(No time soon then HA!)

DEVASTED having put a speedo on my turbo trainer that my top Z2 is only hitting 10 mph!!! Please tell me that I have the resistance too hard... It seems to be the equivlaent of about 14mph on the road!

Rafiki    pirate
07/03/2013 at 10:26

Ges ogt - it is very very difficult to measure speed off a Turbo, unless you have a very posh turbo. I 'getsimate' mine by using a known heart rate and known cadence on the road, then adjust the resistance to the speed is almost the same on the turbo. But is a bit of guess work.

21 to 40 of 74 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.