Please Help!! where do I start

I WILL do a Tri this year

1 to 20 of 72 messages
23/12/2012 at 13:49

Hey, I'm looking for help as to where to start! I can swim but not at any pace or efficiency so I have 121 lessons booked to start on the 11th, and my brother has just given me his road bike! I am already a runner, 2 marathons this year and am hoping to run a spring one as well.  So thats me now the question is as I haven't got the first clue what sort of training should I be doing??

Any advice please.....

Rafiki    pirate
23/12/2012 at 14:11

Tigger ...... have a look here as a starting point - should answer a lot of your questions.

Good luck and enjoy!

M...eldy    pirate
23/12/2012 at 14:32

121 lessons is a good start but I would think that 100 would be enough  

cougie    pirate
23/12/2012 at 14:38

There's only 8 days left of this year !

M...eldy    pirate
23/12/2012 at 15:16

OMG then 8 lessons will be plenty    

23/12/2012 at 15:17
2 lessons on Christmas Day ?
M...eldy    pirate
23/12/2012 at 15:34

Tigger assuming you are not of the Mayan persuasion then I would continue with your 100 swimming lessons as a good recovery and then gradually introduce some bike sessions
Make sure that the bike you have is the right size for you and is correctly set up, if you have not used a road bike before then take some time to get used to it

Have a look at www.beginnertriathlete.com for some training plans and see how they pan out

If the world is a bit late in ending at least you havent spent a fortune on gear you dont need  

seren nos    pirate
23/12/2012 at 16:16

Hi Tigger..........swim a bit. run a bit and bike a lot

enjoy

24/12/2012 at 10:34

I'm planning and have entered my first tri for March next year. I'm nervous already, but the info on the PSOF guide to sprint triathlons has opened my eyes. Some great little tips in there

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
24/12/2012 at 20:55
As said above
Swim a bit. 1-2 sessions is great. 3 is super if you can be arsed or you enjoy tje water thing.....
Bike lots. a longer weekend ride (aka the long run) builds endurance. go longer than the bike distance of your race - ie if you are doing an olympic in 3hrs total, be happy riding a long ride at 3 hrs..... builds endurance etc safely.
Run. you know what you are doing. 1 interval session on a bike a week is cool

Ignore the above if you are doing Ironman as thats a whole different ballgame.
26/12/2012 at 15:31

thanks guys! I'm very much looking forward to starting my swimming lessons, I was thinking of getting my bike serviced before I go out on it! May be a daft question but saddles can you get ladies ones? 

M...eldy    pirate
26/12/2012 at 15:33

You certainly can but thats a very personal thing as well so you can listen to what suits everyone but will need to try a few for yourself

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
27/12/2012 at 11:48

Meldy is absolutely right, what's good for one person may not be good for you. I bought a ladies saddle several years ago and found it extremely uncomfortable. I use a slimline racing saddle now.

PSC    pirate
27/12/2012 at 11:53

does the bike fit?  If it doesn't then you will struggle.  If it does then you will have a much easier time, even if it's a bit of a ropey old steed.  Get the bike shop to set it up for you and give you some advice.  Ideally take someone along who knows a bit about bikes - otherwise you will get the old patter  "well it's not ideal for you...... how about one of these, it's reduced and is a real steal at £8,649....."

27/12/2012 at 20:27

well my brother is a short arse, or I am very tall.......which ever we are both the same height! the saddle is slightly too high as if I peddle I feel like I'm going to be split in two!! 

next question.....would you guy's suggest taking my time with tri training, whilst training for a marathon or am I better to concentrate on my first triathlon? I am already booked on a 20 mile race in March oh and the tr24 in July I may add!!

I really do appreciate your advice x

13/01/2013 at 18:39

Not sure if anyone will see this but what the hell!

Totally loved the swimming lesson! come away with homework, aiming to swim 3 times a week. Bike is in bits being serviced. soo exciting! fingers crossed doing myfirst tri on march 31st at east leake!!

M...eldy    pirate
13/01/2013 at 18:41

Sounds like you are making excellent progress !!

13/01/2013 at 18:43
Yep, almost ready for The Outlaw in 2014
13/01/2013 at 19:10

Thanks guys! I'm off to the pool in the morning and can not wait!!

Ironholgs    pirate
15/01/2013 at 15:04

Glad it's going well, good luck with everything.

1 to 20 of 72 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.