Pool allergy

Flu like symptoms after swimming in pool

21 to 24 of 24 messages
15/11/2012 at 21:26
Princess L - thanks - this subject is getting more and more interesting- well you've got to do something when injured. There must be a scientist/ chemist / health and safety expert etc around the forums who can give the full low down on what pool managers can and can't do to keep their water clean
meface    pirate
15/11/2012 at 22:11

The water temp makes a difference. The warmer the water the faster the stabilised chlorine breaks down and the greater effect it will have one you. Chlorine is naturally a gas at room temp and wants to return to this state.

Sometimes they use unstabilised chlorine as a shock treatment.but would need to clear the pool to use it. Large doses that turn to gas quickly but kill everything that you want killed.

Hence the normal stuff is stabilised chlorine. Chloruine bound to other stuff that breaks down slower. The warmer the pool the quicker it breaks down and therefore the more chloriney it is.

Sciencey enough for you?

15/11/2012 at 22:58

I thought "UV filtration clever thingy" was pretty technical sounding, but looks poor compared to your explanation .

Interesting though .

16/11/2012 at 10:03

m..eface- that makes sense-simming pools in hotter climates need their chlorine levels checked as the stuff evaporates in the sun so it does the same in warmer pools too. I would guess that unlike outdoor pools where evaporation takes the gas away from water level ,in indoor pools its more likely to sit just above water level or at a lower level generally where we are going to be exposed to it.So its not necessarily the variation of chemicals  but the gas concentrations thats the cause of irritation.

So I wonder what the regulations about this say ,as after all ,exposure to irritants in factories and places of work is strictly controlled

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.