29/11/2011 at 21:40
Pics destroyed I will shut up now  
M...eldy    pirate
29/11/2011 at 21:47
Sorted.
meface    pirate
29/11/2011 at 23:49

Cpt.JS

• Monday - I was a bit weary - walked to the pub, had beers, walked back - porbably a mile each way. Felt fine. 
  • Tuesday - Drove from Regensburg back to UK - nonstop
  • Wednesday - a bit wiped from the drive but played with kids
  • Thursday - Grass cutting and getting on with life.

Honestly I don't think I would have had any problem working on the Tuesday/Wednesday. However I only drive a desk. Not sure I would have wanted to be hedging or digging trenches!

This was first IM but have done 3 50+mile LDWA events with 12 hour+events and lots of 30s with 7-10 hour finishes.

Agree with many that a hard marathon will hurt the legs more than an IM

M.eface

Dubai Dave    pirate
30/11/2011 at 06:10
I was back running (slowly) by the Thursday, I have been far stiffer after standalone marathons / ultra's. What I did clock though was a CBA attitude which stayed with me up to very recently.
30/11/2011 at 08:21

IMUK 2010

Was in the office the following day by 8am, Did 12 hour day, next day drove to Guildford and spent a flat out week in the head office...  Ran on the Wednesday evening, Swam Thursday

Ironholgs    pirate
30/11/2011 at 08:37

I've never cared for Viking.

Bit stiff the day after, usually have a long drive. Eat good quality protein and a nice soak in the bath and I'm ok. I also wear compression tights to sleep in the night of the race.

Agree with Cookie, have been worse after standalone marathons and half marathons.

Iron Pingu    pirate
30/11/2011 at 09:01
I was fine after IMW!  2 sore toes but nothing else to moan about.  Was back cycling to work later that week.
30/11/2011 at 09:20
I was surprisingly fine the next day, if you'd asked me to do it all again I would have given it a go. Not saying I would have got far, but I wasn't out on my feet or anything like that.

I can't compare it to a standalone marathon because they look a bit like hard work for some twisted logic in my head.

I went on holiday shortly after so didnt really get back into exercising for a month or so, but I reckon it took me another few weeks after to feel like I wasn't still drained from the IM. I could definitely still feel it in me for about 2 months after the event, but not in a debilitating way.

Holgs has written a book?????!!! no one told me!
30/11/2011 at 10:04
I drank 10 pints the day after IM Wales

I was fine

Golden Boots    pirate
30/11/2011 at 10:16

I drank about 8 pints straight after IM Wales - was OK and just about still standing, understandably woke up slightly dehydyrated, but nothing another 6 pints and few glasses of wine didnt sort out the following day

FB - did you end up staying in that pub and beer garden for all 10?

I wen't pretty hard in the marathon (except for all the toilet stops) so my legs were pretty trashed for a few days afterwards

30/11/2011 at 10:42
nope - we went to the Monday night party with Rosey and a couple of other mates of his and had a few more there

in fact after every IM I've finished, I've had a skinful of beer the following day and generally have never felt too trashed post-race
Golden Boots    pirate
30/11/2011 at 10:47
fat buddha wrote (see)
 in fact after every IM I've finished, I've had a skinful of beer the following day and generally have never felt too trashed post-race

Obviously not trying hard enough!

Oh well... there's always next time?

30/11/2011 at 11:01

I get quite emotional, as well as physical effects.  I find myself just rather 'washed out' really.

So, IMDE 2010 I did no/little training afterwards for 2 weeks because I came back to a very heavy deadline at work. 

In the days after the event:

Night of event - couldn't sleep, I was awake for 24hrs straight having got up at 0330 to race and didn't get to sleep until 0330 that night.  Just couldn't calm down.
Day after (Mon) - Up again at around 6ish feeling desperately hungry but sick.  Felt as if I'd been run over, utterly broken. Movement was very slow but shuffling around made my legs feel better.  Cried by about 9am as was so tired, managed to get another hour's sleep.  Felt sick and didn't want to eat but would eat everything put in front of me.
Tues - travelled home, not too bad.  Cried.
Weds - back working.

It was probably  the following weekend before I was able to sleep in a proper pattern again and I resorted to baths and lavender oil.

This year Challenge Copenhagen:

Night of event - found it easier to get to sleep, probably asleep by just after midnight.  Was able to eat and drink a few bits and bobs when got back to hotel.
Day after - woke at 6am and had something to eat and drink in room before going back to sleep and then going down to proper breakfast at 9am.  Found was much more able to function, had a stroll around town which I enjoyed.  Could obviously feel what I'd done but was much more mobile.  Was very tired by evening and found being 'sociable' quite hard so had an early night with my book, still didn't get to sleep till Midnight.
Tuesday - travellled home.  Cried in the morning.

I do remember that this year it was either Tuesday or Wednesday nights where the sleeplessness broke and I slept solidly for about 12 hrs that night.

Both years I've gone for a very, very gentle swim on the Tuesday.

Edited: 30/11/2011 at 11:04

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.