Pre-made or Bespoke Ironman Training Plans?

Are pre-made Ironman training plans a bad idea?

6 messages
27/12/2009 at 10:11
A recent post on TriFuel:

http://www.trismarter.com/blog/?p=117

says:

Quote: Pre-made training programs, as I have discussed before, should only be used by athletes competing in shorter distance races, not 70.3 or longer. The reasons for this are many ...
Unfortunately, I can't afford a coach and a lot of pre-made Ironman training plans, such as the ones in Be Iron Fit:

http://tinyurl.com/be-iron-fit

are based around the time you have available to train and seem to be planned in a very sensible manner. In the TriFuel article they don't actually say why using a pre-made Ironman training plan isn't a good idea.

Can anyone post a few pointers as to why they're not a good idea?

Thanks!
27/12/2009 at 11:11
Exactly my thought kk - how the hell can a plan understand how your body is coping ? By all means - have a plan but adapt it to how you are feeling. Coach barleys plan of bike a lot, swim a bit and run a bit is better than training yourself into the ground.
27/12/2009 at 12:28

Ditto as above, take from these plans what suits yourself, but dont get stressed if you miss a session here and there.

seren nos    pirate
27/12/2009 at 13:43

I roughly followed the beginners free one on one the tri sites.........just adapted it because I CBA with swim drills or anything like that.........

I just adapted it and worked on rough times........

I suppose it all depends on what your aims are as well.............but best advice is to listen to your own body

27/12/2009 at 17:32

I think the trismarter people are saying that it is better for them if you pay them for a programme rather than trismarter posting a free plan on the internet.

I plan to use Fink, and like most adults will use it as a guide rather than a prescription.  Never having followed a programme before I want to be more consistent  and have some thought about the intensity.  I think pre-made does have that.  Cant see much downside. 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
28/12/2009 at 10:52

I'm using an amalgamation of several different plans plus Friel's intensity levels and juggling it to fit life events. A training plan set in stone never works for me - swim training is taken care of at our tri club sessions, we've got a coach who's better than any book. After running almost my whole life I think I know how to train for that. As far as cycling goes -  the Pirate motto of "bike a lot" combined with advice from/riding with better cyclists than me is the way I'm going for 2010.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.