PSOF 10th Anniversary Champs

IM Austria

2,081 to 2,088 of 2,088 messages
24/07/2015 at 22:33

Round the turnaround at transition and back out onto the second lap. As I came through some of the junctions I was high fiving some of the more enthusiastic policemen!! I stopped at special needs to replenish my supplies and headed out. The second lap was less eventful that the 1st, shouted at mum a couple of times & the Rupertiberg is a bit more noticeable the second time around!

Bike time, 7:36:32, another PB!! Blimey!! That meant I had over 7 ½ hours to do the marathon, not that I was planning to take that long.

I spent half of my time in T2 trying to persuade a male official that he shouldn’t be in the ladies changing area!!! He eventually scarpered when I started stripping. It must have been the glare of the white skin that scared him off! 0:07:18!

Well “Run” might be a bit of an exaggeration!! I set out walking at a steady pace and manage to maintain it all the way to the end. Blimey a marathon is a long walk!! My knee had been really annoying me all week, but I have to admit that the taping helped. In fact during the marathon it was the best it had felt all week!! I’m not complaining but typical!! As everything felt OK and I didn’t want to aggravate it I decided not to push too hard on the marathon!

As I was approaching the arch at the finisher’s chute for the 1st time Flyaway went past and off to the finish line!! She is a bit speedy that one! I picked up my first wristband. I kept my pace going down towards Krumpendorf picking up coke, water, fruit and crackers from the feedstations as I went (not necessarily all at that same time)! Everybody I saw told me that ISB was having a flyer!! I did suggest to a few people that he probably wouldn’t be able to maintain it through the marathon!! He did catch up with me as I was coming back into Klaggenfurt, & he decided to walk with me for a bit. I did notice that he had to break into a short jog now and again to keep up with me! J He later admitted that he kept being told I was only a couple of minutes ahead of him but it took him about 7 km to catch up with me! ;o)

Into the centre of Klaggenfurt, past the restaurants (that bit is really cruel) and I finally managed to see the Lindworm fountain. 

I have noticed during these walks that it is amazing the number of people who struggle with the concept of somebody walking the marathon. Yes, it is an Ironman. Yes, it is a marathon. Yes, I am walking! But I am walking quickly and I will get to the finish! I rang the bell a couple of times then back to pickup my second wristband.  Back out to Krumpendorf and this time I managed to acquire a cheese sandwich from the Subway feedstation. I saw Mum on the way back into Klaggenfurt, but I didn’t ease off may pace, she would drop behind me then suddenly start running to catch up!! I said I thought I might finish in under 16 hours if I kept going at the same pace. Knee was still feeling good! 

It was really quite dark on that last leg along the canal into Klaggenfurt and back out, I could have done with a torch at times to make sure I wasn’t going to trip on anything. It was hard to tell which pirate was which in the gloom, so I hope I didn’t offend anyone with my attempts at encouragement!! When I got back to the split I saw the official standing there ‘Ein, zwei!!’ I said, proudly displaying my wristbands. I was waved down to the finishers chute!! I was going to do it and in under 16 hours!! Just before I rounded to corner into the bright lights I put my sun glasses back on. Since I wasn't sure my legs would let me run at that point I opted to walk down the chute, besides it meant I could enjoy the moment! Official time 15:59:11!!

Edited: 24/07/2015 at 22:35
24/07/2015 at 22:35

I know!! i also need to learn to write shorter reports! 

28/07/2015 at 10:48

Oh please don't - I love reading the race reports

28/07/2015 at 13:36

I love reading these reports, it brings back lots of memories seems longer than 4 weeks ago!

Iron SwissBobby Kona-2    pirate
28/07/2015 at 13:52

great report

cougie    pirate
12/08/2015 at 14:42
Has anyone seen any TV coverage ? C4 usually show most of the European races at the weekends. But not austria yet ?
Bobs Your Father    pirate
12/08/2015 at 15:40

Not a sausage! Looks like C4 are cutting back on their Ironman coverage.

cougie    pirate
13/08/2015 at 10:06
That's a bit pants isn't it ?

Oh well we can make do with this -

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2,081 to 2,088 of 2,088 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.