PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

661 to 680 of 2,400 messages
cougie    pirate
07/11/2012 at 11:41

The truth will be in the middle somewhere. 

JR will have erred on the high side for the benefit to the area. 

The councillors on the low.  OK a few people may make their own sandwiches - but i'd have thought the majority will be buying food there for example. 

And as to the golf course - OK they've lost that business, but someone else will be hosting a prize giving for a lot more than 120 people ?

07/11/2012 at 12:47

Now, ive only read the first 8 pages or so, but the gist of it that their is a PSOF championship help ( this comming year ) at the Challenge Henley event ?

Entry is open and not (as) cheap as outlaw ( which isnt open )

However, as Im in the outlaw half and dont/wont wait forever for an Outlaw full place - budget will get distributed to household if not dispersed to races - maybe I should get on board and give outlaw full a miss ?

( Pressuming couch - Half - Full - Full is not as sensible as it sounds in my head )

( 2nd June, 7th July, 8th September - thats 8 weeks to recover between full distance but only 5 between half and full - which is not a biggy as the half can be treated as mental prep for the full. ( does one need to prep being mental ? )

07/11/2012 at 13:17

Your post Lard reads like Algebra to me with all the brackets in it...

Bedders..    pirate
07/11/2012 at 13:27

I have just read this Henley article and had to laugh when I saw this:

Lord Camoys, who owns Stonor Park, has called for the event to be cancelled.
He said: “Why should these people be given the right to do all this — they should go in an aerodrome.”

In an aerodrome???? 

Would be a real shame if the event was cancelled.

07/11/2012 at 13:29

SgtLard - up to you mate. But as you've come from nowt I think you're pretty mad to consider doing two - you've no idea how you'll feel after completing the first. I'm sure some nutters on here would disagree though. It's my first and I'm already fairly fit; the thought of doing a second 8 weeks after is not even crossing my mind! Outlaw is closed. CH is not. You've no idea if you'll get an Outlaw place. Suffering from slight OCD I like to know exactly what I'm doing and when - especially when it's as big an undertaking as Iron distance.

Voted no on the Henley Standard cancellation poll - natch

Was thinking of entering the Marlow Half Iron as a) it's in the rough vicinity and b) it's on the EXACT date that Sir Fink recommends doing one! (intermediate plan)

cougie    pirate
07/11/2012 at 13:33

I'm thinking Lord Camoys is slightly out of touch with reality. 

When did anyone last go to an 'aerodrome' ? 

And there's probably not many of them with an ironman distance water feature ?

Mmm cycling and running round in circles - why thats MUCH more appealing than the picturesque courses we normally do. What a genius idea. Count me in for that. 

Rafiki    pirate
07/11/2012 at 13:42

Is Lord Camoys behind Enduroman then??  

But it is quiet worrying that  a Lord of Realm, who has a say in the running of the Country, has to ask "what gives people like that the right to do these things...."

Edited: 07/11/2012 at 13:43
07/11/2012 at 13:44

Im up for a challenge UB, and I'm not mad  - just between treatments.

afterall, its only pain. and thats temporary.  worst case - i loose a pile of cash on races I cant/wont/dont want to compete in having abused my body/mind once. Best case, I can brag about doing 2 1/2 ironman in a year, a year from being a 298lb mound of lard with a rest station half way up the stairs to the bedroom.

what (if it) doesnt kill you, makes you stronger (you werent pushing hard enough).

and its a better use of my cash than more fcuking plants inthe garden or embarking on a cima qualification. seriously. why grow anything you cant eat or set fire to ? whats the point of that.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
07/11/2012 at 14:43

The Henley Standard are running an online poll whether next year's Challenge Henley event should be cancelled. Obviously it shouldn’t.

It would be great if you can go on the poll, vote no and get as many people as possible that you know to also vote no. For those that do help, much obliged. The link:

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/

- The poll is on the front page.

Bedders..    pirate
07/11/2012 at 14:46

Just voted and loving reading the comments at the end of the article.

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?tabp=y&id=1192222

Would be a real shame if it was cancelled/postponed. 

Edited: 07/11/2012 at 14:47
Rafiki    pirate
07/11/2012 at 14:48

I see 90% of voters have said  "No it should not be postponed!" Which is encouraging!

Edited: 07/11/2012 at 14:51
Scuba Trooper    pirate
07/11/2012 at 19:42

Ultimate Badger - Marlow Half is an option I have been looking at for the same reasons but there is Cowman on the same day up near Milton Keynes. Windsor Olympic distance is 16th June again in the Thames and spot on for the fink plan. Hopefully there should be a fair group of Pirates and first times at these events to get us in the mood.

I really hope it isn't cancelled, what other options are there for a IM in 2013 in the UK which haven't sold out yet?

Sgt Lard - Whats wrong with a CIMA qualification?

Scuba Trooper    pirate
07/11/2012 at 19:48

Just realised Windsor is sold out, anyone else got any recommendations for Olympics on 16th Jun, I live on the Herts Essex border.

IronCat5    pirate
07/11/2012 at 19:51
Scuba Trooper wrote (see)

Accountants = Bean counter scum.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
08/11/2012 at 10:13
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
Scuba Trooper wrote (see)

Accountants = Bean counter scum.

Glad I've given it up then.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
08/11/2012 at 10:17

So what is the score with the Pirate Party and Prize Giving? Is on the Monday after the race, is it a lunch time or evening sort of bash? I take it there is both food and drink involved.

IronCat5    pirate
08/11/2012 at 16:58

Hmmm....last time it started shortly after 11am, and finished in the dark, with a hardy few, an audacious barmaid and a brave taxi driver.

08/11/2012 at 17:26
Oh yeah, the taxi driver! Primed, i believe, by Gastank to commit the deadliest of sins against me
Edited: 08/11/2012 at 17:30
Rafiki    pirate
08/11/2012 at 18:00

I'm surprise any of you remember! Lucky I was sober enough to make sure we got back to the campsite unscathed (apart from OC!) 

Mind you with the bad vibe in Henley about the whole race, we might have problems finding a suitable location! Cat - perhaps we should undertake some advance recces??

iron fraggle    pirate
08/11/2012 at 20:48

^^  if there's any advanced reccee-ing going on, count me in

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.