PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

681 to 700 of 2,394 messages
meface    pirate
10/11/2012 at 23:12

Who are you?

Rafiki    pirate
19/11/2012 at 10:41

Perhaps a rather abrupt, but honest reply form JustRacing to comments in Henley Gazette posted here

19/11/2012 at 13:03

Bike route...again

Hope they get this sorted soon. I want to get some recce's in in the New Year!

cougie    pirate
19/11/2012 at 13:09

Excellent and well reasoned response from the organiser there. Some of the councillors comments seem to be libellous ? Well spotted Rafiki.

Rafiki    pirate
19/11/2012 at 13:43

Its seem JustRacing are still getting a lot of grief according to the lastest article in the local rag - see link UltimateBadger posted!!

If they manage to get permission for 2013, I can see it being the last!!

19/11/2012 at 14:33

IF (hopefully a big IF) it were to be cancelled, have you thought about which IM you might do?

My brother and his wife are coming to lunch on Christmas Day. We have been asked to invite (and gladly agreed) his parents in law, as otherwise they would be alone at Christmas. They live in Henley, should make for an interesting conversation if they turn out to be the NIMBYS on this I suspect they are!!

Rafiki    pirate
19/11/2012 at 14:38

Well, if it is cancelled, maybe we should orgainse a Pirate IM, much the same as SA's DIY Half? Maybe, i don't know, say around Henley on perhaps 8th Spetember - nice and local for me. I've even got a route in mind

seren nos yn canu    pirate
19/11/2012 at 14:46

come to wales.its the same day

19/11/2012 at 15:00
Rafiki wrote (see)

Well, if it is cancelled, maybe we should orgainse a Pirate IM, much the same as SA's DIY Half? Maybe, i don't know, say around Henley on perhaps 8th Spetember - nice and local for me. I've even got a route in mind

Maybe we could get some very large lorries to dirve around the route at about 15mph, who promise not to overtake any cyclists? Should keep it nice and safe, and as good as closed roads!

They can pretend they are on a purely coincidental fuel protest or something?!

19/11/2012 at 16:34
Gladys M. wrote (see)

IF (hopefully a big IF) it were to be cancelled, have you thought about which IM you might do?

Not really. I'm really hoping it won't be cancelled - not sure what I'd do if it was!

cougie    pirate
19/11/2012 at 16:58

I can't see them cancelling it at this late stage. The councillors clearly have no idea of the scale of this thing.  

I'm sure the local hotels and restaurants want the business. Thats got to be worth more than some teddy bear shop.He's probably lucky if he sells one in a weekend. 

M...eldy    pirate
19/11/2012 at 17:53

Henley needs to get its head out of its arse quite frankly 

Iron Muffin    pirate
19/11/2012 at 20:31
M...eldy wrote (see)

Henley needs to get its head out of its arse quite frankly 

Well said Meldy.

19/11/2012 at 22:15
Is it me or do they seem unaware of the other races that challenge organise world wide? It reads as if they think their's is the only race challenge do?
Edited: 19/11/2012 at 22:18
Rafiki    pirate
20/11/2012 at 08:03

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong  but I think Challenge is a franchise, much like IronMan, and JustRacingUK have the franchise for the UK. So I don't think they organise other worldwide Challenge events, but do organise numerous other  successful races in the UK.

Edited: 20/11/2012 at 08:03
20/11/2012 at 08:42

The way I read the Henley Standard stuff the council can whinge all they like. The real decisions are made by Oxford City Council and they seem quite happy. The Henley councillors are able to moan but that is about all they can do - of course I could be getting it totally wrong but I can't see them cancelling it (and I've just bought a wetsuit to wear there!)

Rafiki    pirate
20/11/2012 at 08:54

Nope - Oxford County Council are consulted as a Statutory Consultee,  but the decision is down to South Oxford District Council as no trunk roads will be closed. They can over ride, or ignore the Town Councils views, but that rarely happens in my experience (I work in a planning related industry so deal with these numpty's on a regular basis!) This is from their website:

Once we receive an application the request will be acknowledged, recorded and we will consult with the statutory bodies such as fire, police, Oxfordshire County Council as highway authority and the relevant town or parish council.

If any objections are made, these will be raised with the applicant so that they can be discussed and hopefully resolved. 

Once the consultation period has expired, and no objections have been sustained, we will inform you we will make the legal order and informing you of any conditions for compliance

Edited: 20/11/2012 at 08:56
20/11/2012 at 12:47

That'll have just been wishful thinking then on my part!

I'll stick to being hopeful it isn't cancelled - and agreeing with Meldy's view.

Rafiki    pirate
20/11/2012 at 13:12

Actually, Cheggers, I've been a little bored this morning and had a look at their website. OCC seem to say they are in charge of Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders (road closure) but that you also need a licence from South Oxford DC for a Public Event (which includes road closures!). They both seem to take the credit (or the blame).

Also, what may have p*ssed the Town Council off even more is that it appears Challenge Henley have been selling places for an event which has not been granted permission as yet - this can be seen to be very arrogant by the Council. (Although obviously I can see why CH need to do this)

Scuba Trooper    pirate
07/12/2012 at 07:54

Has there been any more new on the bike route or the argumants with the council?

How big is the pirate entry list looking now?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.