PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

701 to 720 of 2,400 messages
Rafiki    pirate
20/11/2012 at 08:03

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong  but I think Challenge is a franchise, much like IronMan, and JustRacingUK have the franchise for the UK. So I don't think they organise other worldwide Challenge events, but do organise numerous other  successful races in the UK.

Edited: 20/11/2012 at 08:03
20/11/2012 at 08:42

The way I read the Henley Standard stuff the council can whinge all they like. The real decisions are made by Oxford City Council and they seem quite happy. The Henley councillors are able to moan but that is about all they can do - of course I could be getting it totally wrong but I can't see them cancelling it (and I've just bought a wetsuit to wear there!)

Rafiki    pirate
20/11/2012 at 08:54

Nope - Oxford County Council are consulted as a Statutory Consultee,  but the decision is down to South Oxford District Council as no trunk roads will be closed. They can over ride, or ignore the Town Councils views, but that rarely happens in my experience (I work in a planning related industry so deal with these numpty's on a regular basis!) This is from their website:

Once we receive an application the request will be acknowledged, recorded and we will consult with the statutory bodies such as fire, police, Oxfordshire County Council as highway authority and the relevant town or parish council.

If any objections are made, these will be raised with the applicant so that they can be discussed and hopefully resolved. 

Once the consultation period has expired, and no objections have been sustained, we will inform you we will make the legal order and informing you of any conditions for compliance

Edited: 20/11/2012 at 08:56
20/11/2012 at 12:47

That'll have just been wishful thinking then on my part!

I'll stick to being hopeful it isn't cancelled - and agreeing with Meldy's view.

Rafiki    pirate
20/11/2012 at 13:12

Actually, Cheggers, I've been a little bored this morning and had a look at their website. OCC seem to say they are in charge of Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders (road closure) but that you also need a licence from South Oxford DC for a Public Event (which includes road closures!). They both seem to take the credit (or the blame).

Also, what may have p*ssed the Town Council off even more is that it appears Challenge Henley have been selling places for an event which has not been granted permission as yet - this can be seen to be very arrogant by the Council. (Although obviously I can see why CH need to do this)

Scuba Trooper    pirate
07/12/2012 at 07:54

Has there been any more new on the bike route or the argumants with the council?

How big is the pirate entry list looking now?

Rafiki    pirate
07/12/2012 at 10:05

Don't think so Scuba - their websire still says they are in discussions etc etc

And I think there's about a dozen or so Pirates entered so far.

07/12/2012 at 16:21

The good ol' Henley Standard were stirring things up again a couple of days ago re: bike course. Hopefully they'll get it all sorted soon.

seren nos    pirate
07/12/2012 at 18:44

can you imagine if it is cancelled.there would be a mad rush to get the remaining places for IMW

Blisters    pirate
08/12/2012 at 01:09

I think that I would be slightly annoyed. Or larger.

seren nos    pirate
08/12/2012 at 06:57

I'm sure they will get it sorted.even if its just for this year and then look for somewhere else a bit friendlier

Scuba Trooper    pirate
08/12/2012 at 10:23

Blisters - I'd be more than annoyed, even livid may not be strong enough, and if it was cancelled after IMW was full then it would be a nightmare.

Just read the article, they are stirring it up and the parish council makes it sound as if the event happens without notice and the residents aren't able to plan round it.

Edited: 08/12/2012 at 10:25
Rafiki    pirate
09/12/2012 at 12:42

I just cycled past the teddy bear shop and 'unclogged my nose in his general direction' as I did so, to quote Python!!

iron fraggle    pirate
09/12/2012 at 14:26

nice one Rafi 

09/12/2012 at 18:09

Iron Muffin    pirate
01/01/2013 at 19:11

Anyone got an update?

Dont want to enter and then it get pulled.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
12/01/2013 at 19:08

Any more in the local press?

Anyone else planning to follow Fink for this one? Only about a month to go before it starts.

Which warm races have others entered? I'm planning to enter Marlow HIM and an Olympic at Grafham Water.

12/01/2013 at 19:16

I'll be following Fink. Is it only a month before it has to start? Oh heck.

12/01/2013 at 19:58
As warm ups I'm doing Stratford upon Avon marathon (cos I want to know I can do a marathon beforehand), a couple of sportives and Marlow HIM. Also taking the bike to the Alps in August so I might find a mountain or two to pedal up
IronCat5    pirate
12/01/2013 at 19:59
Couldn't find the Henley Times today at the in-laws. I'll keep an eye out.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.