PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

741 to 760 of 2,394 messages
Rafiki    pirate
18/01/2013 at 19:02

some of the parents may hate you for that suggestion Blisters as some of his 'bears' are the same price as a pair of Mavic wheels!!

Britrisky    pirate
18/01/2013 at 22:24

Excuse me for dropping in ... but with the Kit Fairy's guiding hand, I'm going to do an order so that a nice yellow golf umbrella with a fetching black logo might

a. Keep my supporter(s) dry / happy at Outlaw / Henley / Lanza (delete as appropriate)

b. Make them feel they're a part of this happy ship ...

c. Make them easier for me to spot

If you reckon you'd like one too, then pop over to the Pirate Umbrella thread and add yourself to the list (need another 7 for a minimum order of 25). Looking at around £18 plus postage - full details on thread ... 

19/01/2013 at 11:12

Blimey, the town will be complaining that people bring their own umbrellas next! 

Its a great idea Britrisky. I'd order one but I've cancelled the rain for Henley. 

Scuba Trooper    pirate
20/01/2013 at 18:56

Are there any date for council meetings etc, I want to know if this is going to happen before it is to late for IMW. Just Racing's website doesn't give much away.

Last time I posted a few others mentioned that it would be good to post about our training and support each other.... 

I've done 2 weeks of Fink like training I'm planning to follow the competitive plan at least to start with, if it gets too much then I'll drop back to intermediate. I managed 8 hours 3 swims, 3 bikes (2 on turbo) and 3 runs the first week and 7 hours with one less ride this week. Coming from a marathon background I don't think I've ever put in so many hours.

Hows everyone else doing?

20/01/2013 at 19:13

Ticking over until Fink official start date of Feb. 11th...

20/01/2013 at 19:18

p.s. My impression is that the race is definitely happening - it's just some members of the town council being a nuisance. Ultimately the town council don't have much of a say. But hey, it makes news in the local rag. 

Whether it will be there next year is another matter I guess...

Rafiki    pirate
20/01/2013 at 19:20

In week 13 of Fink....but then I'm doing Lanza first, so planning just to wing it when it comes to Henley

Blisters    pirate
21/01/2013 at 21:38

I've got Joe Friel, but find it uninspiring. It's technical and sounds logical, but when I got bored and turned towards the training schedules I couldn't understand them. So, my plan is thus:
1) Get marathon fit again (tick)
2) Learn to swim 152 lengths of a pool, and to take it outside. (max is 102 so far)
3) Bike 112 miles. (Much more biking needed, max has been 70).

The swim has sort of hit a plateau.
The bike has got a new opportunity, with my Christmas turbo.
The run has become enjoyable again.

IronCat5    pirate
21/01/2013 at 22:07
Blisters wrote (see)

I've got Joe Friel, but find it uninspiring. It's technical and sounds logical, but when I got bored and turned towards the training schedules I couldn't understand them. So, my plan is thus:
1) Get marathon fit again (tick)
2) Learn to swim 152 lengths of a pool, and to take it outside. (max is 102 so far)
3) Bike 112 miles. (Much more biking needed, max has been 70).

The swim has sort of hit a plateau.
The bike has got a new opportunity, with my Christmas turbo.
The run has become enjoyable again.

Nah...!

Get almost mara fit.
Learn to do about 3km inside then the same out
Do the Chiltern hundreds as a warmup cycle.

22/01/2013 at 12:01

Or:

First ever marathon at Stratford in April

Norwich 100 on the day before Chiltern 100 (I toyed with the idea of doing both and then realised what a daft idea that was). Only live a mile or so from Chiltern 100 start so I'll do the route sometime. Done Norwich before - it's nice!

Lots of swimming. Currently doing 4k swims once a month. As much OW as I can.

(oh, and Marlow HIM in July!)

IronCat5    pirate
22/01/2013 at 13:13

You can't miss the C100, it's a pirate favourite, and a proper 180km too. Surely more fun than 100 flat windy miles around Norwich?

Rafiki    pirate
22/01/2013 at 13:19

mmmmmm....... flat roads ...mmmmmmmm

22/01/2013 at 13:21

C100 is evil. Spose I'd better at least do the medio this year though rather than wimping out on the nice pleasant short route. See you all on one of the hills of hell. 

IronCat5    pirate
22/01/2013 at 13:31

I'm up for the Corto! I might make it back in time to see everyone, rather than an empty field

Edited: 22/01/2013 at 13:31
Rafiki    pirate
22/01/2013 at 13:35

website says 177km Cat - cheating again eh??

Alas its the same day as Enduroman (and 2 weeks after Lanza) - think I'll go to Enduroman to cheer DK on and throw things at Seren

IronCat5    pirate
22/01/2013 at 13:43
Rafiki wrote (see)

Not if you take the necessary zigzags up the hills!

22/01/2013 at 13:56

Maybe there's a change of plan on the way then - have to see what the family say, we're in Norfolk on holiday that week and it'll mean coming home earlier than currently planned.

Rafiki    pirate
22/01/2013 at 14:08
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
Rafiki wrote (see)

Not if you take the necessary zigzags up the hills!

That's what happens when you ride with those fancy wheels of yours - slightest breeze and you're all over the place!!

Scuba Trooper    pirate
22/01/2013 at 18:56

Blisters - Have you had a look at Don Fink "Be Iron Fit" I have found its pretty straightforward and seems to be popular on here. I do wonder whether it may be a bit short of time on the bike compared to the amount of running.You seem to be doing well on the different disciplines I'm not reaching the same levels by a long way. My longest ride is 24miles so far and 65 lengths.

Is early June a good time for a 100mile ride for a Sep IM? Not sure I'll be ready for Chilterns but might try Norwich.

I have a long way to go and a lot of training to do if I'm going to make it through this in one piece.

22/01/2013 at 19:17

You'll be fine Scuba - what is your riding experience? Have you ever been further than 24miles? If not, I would strongly recommend adding more cycling to the Fink plan. I class myself as an OK cyclist but I will still add more than the Fink plan suggests (at the expense of one of the run sessions)

There's a long way to go yet so don't worry about the numbers too much at the mo. It's all about hitting the peak period strong and healthy.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.