PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

861 to 880 of 2,394 messages
Rafiki    pirate
23/02/2013 at 13:53

Well, did a lap of the new bike course this morning, and my overall conclusion is......

.......it was fecking cold!!!

iron fraggle    pirate
23/02/2013 at 14:21

erm looking forward to it tomorrow (not)    how was Howe Hill ?

Rafiki    pirate
23/02/2013 at 15:06

I think it easier than the old course. Howe Hill is steep, but it's short - only 0.56miles. Its flat to the bottom, and flat again at the top - so if things are really bad, you could easily walk up it and not loose much time. To be honest I was only doing 7mph up it! Whereas Pishill on the old course was a long 8 mile slog, getting steeper at the top.

Depending on the weather tomorrow, I might do bits of it on the TT. What time you going to be about?

iron fraggle    pirate
23/02/2013 at 17:27

Yes I suppose Pishill was a long old slog and pretty nasty at the top when your legs are tired, so a short sharp hill might be better.

we're meeting at 11 Raf at southfields car park

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/carpark/southfields/rg9/henley/

am packing plenty of layers......

23/02/2013 at 19:03

I've bought some new cleats but not putting them on yet cos I don't want to wreck them walking half a mile uphill. Its gonna be cold and I can only find one overshoe.  If this course is easier I'm mighty glad I didn't enter last year. 

See you tomorrow Fraggle. I'll pm you my number just in case. 

Scuba Trooper    pirate
23/02/2013 at 19:11

Fraggle - You will need the layers I had 3 layers  and a waterproof/windproof over the top and that worked for 2 hours/30miles. It snowed the whole time i was out but not settling thankfully.

Rafiki - thanks for the route feedback sounds like an improvement to me.

iron fraggle    pirate
23/02/2013 at 19:14

well, I did the half last year and survived   the best thing this year is not doing the Stonor/Pishill bit 'cos the road surface was awful. See you tomorrow Soupy, and I hope you find your overshoe!

24/02/2013 at 13:43

ugh. Week 2 completed, only managed 4h35 this week with 0 swimming and two full days off due to sniffles.

Most of that was my 2h30 bike today - was going to carry on to make it to 3h but I was so cold - plus it's my birthday so rather fancied some cake

Stats for long ride 2:

2h32m, 37.44mi, 14.8mph avg., 2024ft elevation, avg. HR 127bpm.

iron fraggle    pirate
24/02/2013 at 16:00

Nice to meet up with SoupDragon today and we recce'd some of the course   took a wrong turn on the first 'leg' and ended up going towards Greys rather than henley (we should have turned off before that corner Soupy   ) , but other than that it was ok. weather was horrible, cold snowy and neither of us could feel our feet after 20 mins or so. Soup made it back up Howe Hill  and I had to get off and push after about a third of the way as my legs were dead. Also have not got over my cold as much as I thought and struggled a bit; poor Soup, I had to stop every 20 mins or so to empty my sinuses ; have been coughing loads and yacking up phlegm since I got home and I feel exhausted. A few easy days ahead for me I think. zzzzzzz

24/02/2013 at 16:05

Well we did it. But I've only just thawed my feet out, man it was cold. Anyway here's my verdict.  I like it!  It was a long drag up to Northend but nothing too troubling, just slow and I know I can train to get my speed up a bit. Going down to Greys Court was fast and fun, and although a bit of a drag back up nothing difficult at all. Missed out the other Northend loop and headed directly for the BIG one.  The road sign puts it a 10% and I'm pleased to report that I got up it. I was only going 3mph though and wobbling a bit and it seemed to go on and on, but I did it. The descent back into Henley was fast and even a downhill wuss like me got 30mph. 

There is nothing on the course that isn't manageable although I suspect the 2nd lap will feel tough and the third one, well, I'm not even thinking of that yet. 

24/02/2013 at 16:07

Cross post Fraggle. So we did go wrong afterall - oops. 

Good to see you today and I'm sure you will get up the hill once your lurgy has gone. Well done. 

Blisters    pirate
24/02/2013 at 16:50

Badger, how can a 37 mile ride be classed as "long"? Surely they need to be knocking on the door of 100 miles to be long? The furthest I've ever done is 70 miles, so it's not even in the frame. Truly, I do need to get out on the bike more.

For me, it was 48 miles on Saturday morning, with the gang. Got a puncture halfway round and took FOREVER to fix it. I got some ridicule for that, especially as we were doing an unofficial time trial at that point. I context this was only my second one in 12 months.

I am glad to hear that the Whore's Hill is manageable. I am seriously envisaging walking up it by the time lap 3 arrives. I can believe that my contact points would benefit from a massage by then anyway.

BTW, has anyone else noticed the elevation profile for the swim section?

Scuba Trooper    pirate
24/02/2013 at 16:54

Bagder - Nice ride to end not such a great week., nice stats. Hope you have/had a good birthday.

Soup - Glad to hear you think it is doable, hope you can feel your feet again now. I need to get over and recce so I know what to train for.

Fraggle - Take it easy and get over the cold and I'm sure that hill will be yours for the taking.

2nd week of fink, 9 sessions, 3 of each if the count 20mins run brick of the long ride. Total of 8:30 but long ride was only 2:00/30miles.

Going to have to mix up the training schedule next weeks as I'm doing Roding Valley Half Marathon on Sunday.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
24/02/2013 at 17:35

Blisters - X-posted, nice ride for you today.

GPS and map site elevations are often well out, the accuracy is just not there for vertical calculations (satellite separation and geometry work against them). If a horizontal distance was out be 30ft over a mile we wouldn't notice or care but with elevation we do. If in reality the difference between the start and turning point is more than 5-10ft I'd be very surprised and it is the current that will be of more of a concern than change in elevation any way.

24/02/2013 at 19:15
Blisters wrote (see)

Badger, how can a 37 mile ride be classed as "long"? Surely they need to be knocking on the door of 100 miles to be long? The furthest I've ever done is 70 miles, so it's not even in the frame. Truly, I do need to get out on the bike more.

Well it's the longest of the week, in accordance with the Fink intermediate plan (actually, I was only supposed to do 90mins.) Not sure I've ever read a definition of a long bike needing to be 100 miles long. Remember, there's a hell of a long way to go yet! Hurdle 1: Reaching the start line in one piece. 

p.s. Cheers Scuba for the birthday wishes! Have had a very large pub Sunday lunch in celebration.

Edited: 24/02/2013 at 19:16
thedrainman    pirate
24/02/2013 at 19:40
Will be signing up tomorrow as long as no more bills come in then better start training
24/02/2013 at 19:45

Nice. Welcome aboard. Seems there's a fair number of us now!

24/02/2013 at 21:21

Hi drainman. Welcome to the gang.

lol at long ride. My longest so far is 25 miles and that was today.  I'm up to 7 miles on a run and 1000m on swimming. I've got some training to do but there's plenty of time yet and I'm still on target with Fink, apart from the swim perhaps. Each to their own, and all depends on targets I suppose. 

Blisters    pirate
24/02/2013 at 22:47

Badger, sorry if I sounded a bit sour, I realised after pressing the send button that I could be mis-understood. Personally speaking, I'm crapping myself at the prospect of having to bike 180km as a "commute" between the longest swim I've never contemplated and a proper run.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
25/02/2013 at 07:54

thedrainman - Welcome aboard.

Soup - sounds like we are in similar places, my longest ride ever was Saturday at 30miles. I think I'm up to about 1750m in the pool but i can never keep count well enough to be more accurate than that. Running isn't an issue, I'm doing 10miles regularly and could do more but saving my energy for the more problematic swim and bike. As you say its nice to be ahead of the fink plans at this stage.

Blisters - Your doing a spring marathon right? Which one and what time you targeting?

Badger - There does seem to be quite a few signed up now, there have been a few comments on other threads that it wouldn't be that full of pirates, I wonder how many there are.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.