PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

941 to 960 of 2,394 messages
M...eldy    pirate
03/03/2013 at 07:54

R/W certainly seems to work for a lot of people in the IM ... I have used it in and out of IM and times have been consistent (consistently slow but consistent  )    

03/03/2013 at 09:29

I'm planning to do walk/run.  

Dubai Dave    pirate
03/03/2013 at 13:27

My first IM and I ran walked, the second time I ran most of the marathon. I was quicker run / walking. Hardly a scientific study though as I was definitely fitter for the first.

Dubai Dave    pirate
03/03/2013 at 13:29

As a foot note I got beaten by one A Brownlee at Abu Dhabi yesterday, stood next to him on the beach and never saw him again! 

Rafiki    pirate
03/03/2013 at 14:18

Dave - just wait till post 2016 when he goes long - you'll beat him then!

Scuba Trooper    pirate
03/03/2013 at 17:11

Thanks all for you comments on the walk run strategy. I think a few partices runs with 10-1 Run-walk may be a good idea.

Jamie - How did the HM go?

My first race in pirate colours went surprisingly well. After a lay off for a couple of months in Sep and Oct due to ill health, I'll bore you with the details another day, I've done no speed work and no runs longer than 10miles since. I managed a 2 minute PB of 1:36:03 on a undulating (maybe even hilly) Roding Valley Half Marathon today. The Tri training has given me such a big improvement in my base and it helped runnning with a mate from the tri club as it pushed me to run harder than I think I would have if I'd run on my own especially in the last 2-3miles.

WhizKid    pirate
03/03/2013 at 17:40
Just got home went 1:30:10 seconds I was gutted... Still it was my very first half mara and I stupidly went way too fast at the start 5:50 first mile, and hit 10k at 38 :50 which was stupid the route was also reasonably hilly.... Still lots of room for improvement!

Bloody good work on your pb scuba that is flipping excellent! I wish I had someone too cheer me on or motivate me today.... Massive race crap crowd... Nothing like the challenge Henley lot who were brilliant!

Bit sore now so hit the swim on the head for tonight and gonna chill out instead....
Scuba Trooper    pirate
03/03/2013 at 17:57

Jamie - that is a very good time especially with out taper and of Tri training not specific HM training. Hope your soreness easier, get some stressing done and maybe a gentle splash would help.

Blisters - were you racing today?

WhizKid    pirate
03/03/2013 at 18:08
Cheers ST its pretty much what my mate said too me, and I definitely have not been HM specific training, was just a little gutted I didn't quite go under ah well always next time! Next targets all club race next weekend duathlon so will bring the pain on the bike now
WhizKid    pirate
03/03/2013 at 18:09
And I was eaten by darlick ;(
03/03/2013 at 18:21

You guys are pretty swift runners, good times! Cheers all for posting re: run/walk. I have been doing 1 mile run, 1 minute walk to coincide with the approximate locations of the aid stations on the run. If I can get anywhere near Orange's times with this method I'd be over the moon (never run a marathon before)

2h45m bike for me today with some decent climbs, followed by a 20 minute run-off. Then I got home, showered, stuffed my face and fell asleep for an hour

I've done a couple more hours than I should've this week so I am going to be strict with my workout times next week as it's a recovery week. If I keep going like this I will end up burnt out before I get anywhere near the start line!

Scuba Trooper    pirate
03/03/2013 at 18:27

Badger - Thanks. That's a good brick today and prefect recovery strategy too well done. I'm looking forward to the rest week this week too. I'm going to mix it up a bit this week as well as cutting back the volume. I'm going to try and do my running cross country and maybe do some gym work and a short swim rather than just a swim on swim days.

WhizKid    pirate
03/03/2013 at 18:51
Good work badger, rest is really important the amount of times I have fudged a long ride or race because of OCD triathlete over training is terrible so don't take a leaf out of my book and wind it back!
IronCat5    pirate
03/03/2013 at 19:14
O.rangeCannon - 7 hr marathons are cool..... wrote (see)
i trained on a 9 min run 1 min walk.
In the event i ended up running between aid stations and walking 1 min through them.. make sure you hit your watch at the start of the aid station, grab what you need, drink while wlaking then get going again when your whatch hits the 60 secs.....othetwise your 1 min walk turns into 2, or 3 or 5.....

What OC said. I trained to 9/1 last year, then used aid station at Outlaw. Unfortunately I couldn't find a defined start point again. FF had me counting to 100 after leaving the aid station then running.

03/03/2013 at 19:20

Wow some good running going on here. Well done. 

I did a lovely 45min run this morning. Swim drills tomorrow. Long bike on Tuesday weather permitting. 

WhizKid    pirate
03/03/2013 at 19:45
Swim drills is always the best swimming session... Toys! I find it makes it a bit more fun to be honest... I've got drills tomorrow and a long bike, good having this extra time off work stuff! Have fun tomorrow soup I'm having a cheeky lay in before I go get cold for a few hours
OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
03/03/2013 at 20:23
scuba....
Where are you based? I did Roding Valley last year - its v close to me. I am in east london.
I have got lots of biking to do in the summer so lett me know if you need any ride partners..... (its nice to break the longs rides up with a bit f company......)
pps which tri club?
Blisters    pirate
03/03/2013 at 21:44

No racing for me today. I did however have a 44 mile group bike yesterday with the club, followed very shortly by a 5km road race wearing the colours of my running club. That was surprisingly good, with no signs at all of the dreaded dead legs. Amazingly, they delivered 6:32 m/m for the distance.

Today was swim training with the group.

03/03/2013 at 22:05

Sigh..... my swim drills don't include toys.  I'm learning TI and the only toy they allow is a tempo trainer.

WhizKid    pirate
04/03/2013 at 07:39
I could do with doing some t1 training got a duathlon on Sunday and done bugger all transition practise.... It's just finding the time at the moment oh well off for a swim and a ride for a couple of hours as back too work tommoro...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.