PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

961 to 980 of 2,394 messages
IronCat5    pirate
04/03/2013 at 09:08
jamie tardi wrote (see)
I could do with doing some t1 training got a duathlon on Sunday and done bugger all transition practise.... It's just finding the time at the moment oh well off for a swim and a ride for a couple of hours as back too work tommoro...

Do some R/B/R/B/R sets. You'll learn to take trainers off at same time as put helmet on. Don't just discard your trainers - you'll need them later!

WhizKid    pirate
04/03/2013 at 09:39
Yeah gonna try fit some in this week.... I'm normally pretty swift in transition but like you say duathlon is different and I do normally just launch my trainers at my bike pretty much in the rush. Cheers ironcat il make some time this weekend, I came 6th last year and kinda wanna win or come top 3 and over sprint the transition counts for a lot...
Scuba Trooper    pirate
04/03/2013 at 19:35

OrangeCannon - I'm from Near Stansted Airport so not very local to Roding Valley and I'm Stortford Tri Club. Is is you in pirate gear on the results page? Not sure if we are close enough for a ride meet? Are you doing Henley?

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
04/03/2013 at 22:04
Yep thats me last year when i could still run
Im probably 90 mins or so from stanstead, so ypu are prpbably right..... Unless its a special occaision.
im doing lanza then outlaw.....
I doubt ill be at henley anymore but the missus may be doing the half......
Rafiki    pirate
05/03/2013 at 16:58

Managed to get up Howe Hill on the TT bike today - I'm running a 53/39 with a 12/27 cassette set up ready for Lanza - so it was a little easier. But its gonna hurt the third time round  but did hit 43mph on the way down

WhizKid    pirate
05/03/2013 at 17:12
Nice one rafiki such awesome weather today, I managed a nice 70 miler yesterday and a good swim been instructed by mate coach/mate I must take a day off today as I can still barely walk since the HM lol....
05/03/2013 at 17:34

Good stuff Raf. I did a 32 mile ride this morning and loved it. Got one of my fastest descents too but only 32.5mph. I think I'd scream at 43.  The rest of the ride was very slow, but I'm not fretting about speed now, just getting time in the saddle and a few climbs. 

iron fraggle    pirate
05/03/2013 at 18:09

Nice training guys

(I think I too would scream at 43 mph )

Blisters    pirate
05/03/2013 at 18:44

I did get to 41 mph on my std Specialized Allez on Saturday. Then hit a series of potholes and cats eyes. Scream? No. But I did sh!t myself when I got the front wheel shakes. First time on this bike.

WhizKid    pirate
05/03/2013 at 18:46
When you get the old speed wobbles you will scream
05/03/2013 at 21:43

Can I ask what everybody uses for fuel on the bike? I can't stomach gels for 8 hours especially as I'll be having the on the run as well so would prefer some solid food. I tried porridge oat breakfast bars today on the basis that they aren't too sweet but they were a bit dry and got stuck in my throat a bit. I know some people have eaten pork pie - but after 8 hours in the (hopefully) sun?!.  My next thought is for mini marmite butties but any suggestions appreciated.

Ta

iron fraggle    pirate
05/03/2013 at 21:51

haven't tried it out yet, but I'm going for cheese/marmite butties and cold roast potatoes    and probably home made flapjack, and possibly bounty bars

IronCat5    pirate
05/03/2013 at 22:07

For training I stuck with a High5 gel every 40 minutes. Plus an ice-cream every now and then if hot. Plus a museli bar or two. Each museli bar is about 80-100cal.

For Outlaw I had 2 big museli bars (200 cal each) cut in to 4, a piece each 20 minutes, then on to gels and bits of bannanas when available. Tried 1 gel on the run and couldn't manage it.

05/03/2013 at 22:10
*comes out of lurking*

One seasoned pirate I know has packed fudge, malt loaf, and a pasty for his bike leg

What about cocktail sausages? I am thinking small and not so sweet, but I guess it's more or less down to your own palate
M...eldy    pirate
05/03/2013 at 22:16

Soupy ... try reversing that

Have the gels and drink on the bike and have alternative foods like coke and banana et.c on the run
I would think that it is easier and has less overall impact on your speed to take the easy route on the bike
Less gels. more coke and bits on the run

?

05/03/2013 at 22:27

Thats an idea Meldy, thanks.  A combination of gels and cocktail sausages on the bike might be a way forward. I know I'll want something savoury and  and Ive no idea what I'll be able to stomach on the run. I've just always used gels on marathons but this is a different beast I suppose. 

I can't imagine who would have a pasty. 

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 22:28
meface    pirate
06/03/2013 at 00:45

**looks in to see if this is the dedicated pasty thread**

WhizKid    pirate
06/03/2013 at 07:10
I really like too gels with flapjacks, they go too nasty whilst sat in the sun and deliver what you need, but everyone gets sick of gels at the end of a IM last part of the run they start too taste a bit like vomit :/
06/03/2013 at 07:12

06/03/2013 at 07:14
m..eface wrote (see)

**looks in to see if this is the dedicated pasty thread**

Could be. 

http://brookenolan.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/pasties.jpg

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.