PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

981 to 1,000 of 2,400 messages
M...eldy    pirate
05/03/2013 at 22:16

Soupy ... try reversing that

Have the gels and drink on the bike and have alternative foods like coke and banana et.c on the run
I would think that it is easier and has less overall impact on your speed to take the easy route on the bike
Less gels. more coke and bits on the run

?

05/03/2013 at 22:27

Thats an idea Meldy, thanks.  A combination of gels and cocktail sausages on the bike might be a way forward. I know I'll want something savoury and  and Ive no idea what I'll be able to stomach on the run. I've just always used gels on marathons but this is a different beast I suppose. 

I can't imagine who would have a pasty. 

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 22:28
meface    pirate
06/03/2013 at 00:45

**looks in to see if this is the dedicated pasty thread**

WhizKid    pirate
06/03/2013 at 07:10
I really like too gels with flapjacks, they go too nasty whilst sat in the sun and deliver what you need, but everyone gets sick of gels at the end of a IM last part of the run they start too taste a bit like vomit :/
06/03/2013 at 07:12

06/03/2013 at 07:14
m..eface wrote (see)

**looks in to see if this is the dedicated pasty thread**

Could be. 

http://brookenolan.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/pasties.jpg

Blisters    pirate
06/03/2013 at 08:06

I've been using flapjack style breakfast bars on the rides, but some can be a bit too chewy or sick-er-ly after you've had a few. It's important to wash them down too. I have been wondering about the merits of that wonder food Peanut Butter. After all it's high in protein and calories too, and should survive. Remember that your bike snack has got to live in the open for almost 24 hours from the point of racking.

I know that one Ultra marathon runner likes to eat salted boiled potatoes, and I can see the merit.

cougie    pirate
06/03/2013 at 08:10
I use a bento box on the bike and use flapjack and gingerbread men.
You can eat almost anything on the bike.
06/03/2013 at 08:46

It's easier to digest stuff on the bike as you aren't normally working as hard. So solid food will be easier on the stomach during the bike than the run. I am also pondering savoury solid food for the bike - I'm currently thinking about marmite and plain crisp rolls!

The 'energy' bars from the big brands are a rip off in my opinion. I have been using kellog's Nutrigrain bars (both 'elevenses' and the normal ones) and find them just as good - plus they're a quarter of the price. Mini-soreens are good too!

I think my current plan is a bottle full of diluted gels to sup on throughout the bike leg but breaking that up with some bars and rolls. Then I'll just pick up water from the aid stations. Easy!

Scuba Trooper    pirate
06/03/2013 at 19:43

So is everyone enjoying there first Fink recovery week?

Not sure I like the idea of these hills that work out at 3mph on the way up and 40mph on the way down wouldn't it be much easier and safer just going 15mph on the flat.

I've been thinking about the nutrition on the bike and have had a few thoughts. I do like the idea of some savoury snacks on the bike but not sure anything with sausage or meat would be great (taste or health) at the end of 6-7hours sat on a bike in the sun. The other thing I find is that stuff gets stuck in my teeth, I tried malt loaf the other day and took ages to get the bits out of my teeth, not a good distraction on a bike. Given that a bottle of sports drink will give you about 150-200 cals and you can only absorb about 300-400 an hours if its warm then just drinking a couple of bottles an hour and an odd gel should be enough or am I missing something? Glad I've booked a HIM and Oly to practise this stuff on. I know that there is no way I can eat anything significant while running a marathon, I struggled with gels and even jelly babies by the end of both the marathons I've done.

Bager - I like the idea of a bottel full of gels, the just warmer or the zero stuff.

WhizKid    pirate
06/03/2013 at 20:29
Just drinking is not really a great plan you should really try and get some solids in to you... However don't do that on the run just stick too gels and water/coke/sports drink.... Try and find something that doesn't distract you and tastes nice... Fig rolls are good... Easy too eat can stack loads of them in a bento box or cycle jersey, I wouldn't think too much about it on the oly distance mate its too short too really give you some correct feedback, but the HIM is a good place too test it out and obviously your long training rides... I'm a having a good slack/recovery week legs still ache a bit from the HM on Sunday....
06/03/2013 at 20:57

Recovery week going well for me too. I am enjoying the training so far, it's nice to work off a plan as I've been freestyling pretty much since my last HIM last September. I'm even enjoying training to heart rate as I feel it gives my sessions a bit of focus.

Even though I'm only four weeks in, I am actually starting to feel stronger already - especially on the treadmill.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
06/03/2013 at 21:27
Mmmmm pasties

Dropped my cornish pastie coming out of T1 at Wales whilst last year, to dangerous to stop and go back for it what with the amount of riders about.

Gutted
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
06/03/2013 at 21:29
Mmmm gingerbread men
06/03/2013 at 21:52

gingerbread sounds good. At this rate I'll need a great big cool box secured to my bike. My bento box is tiny, how am I going to fit 8 hours worth of grub in that? Oh well, plenty of time to experiment. Hard lines about your cornish pastie Barlos. Perhaps you should have had a Welsh Pasty.  

But don't take your own pasty to Henley. 

IronCat5    pirate
06/03/2013 at 22:11
Soup Dragon wrote (see)

But don't take your own pasty to Henley. 

Take sandwiches!

I think I overcarbed last year. 4.5 litres of high5 and a gel (80cal) or bar chunk (100cal) every 20 minutes. Workout what energy you need and budget for that plus a wee bit more. If I go long again I'll probably try to go for more liquids that anything else.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
07/03/2013 at 17:32

Cat - Wow thats a lot of carbs, just looking at the Hi5 website and they same 750-1000mls an hour or drop that down and add gels.

Barlos - Shame about the pasty, not sure it the first thing i'd want to eat after a 2.4mile swim in the irish sea.

Sound like its all about personal preference and finding out what works, I have a feeling I'm going to have a few uncomfortable long bikes finding out what doesn't work for me.

As part of my recovery week I cut my swim today down to 35mins and did my first gym session in months, I may be a little sore in the morning. 35min Z2 turbo this afternoon felt strangely tough this afternoon.

Blisters    pirate
07/03/2013 at 18:14

I think I might tape a Pringles carton to my top tube, should be able to get loads of stuff in there. If I slice open the side like it is a Post Box door then we should have a workable solution. Painted yellow and black, obviously.

I don't suppose that the Pringles idea has been tried before?

iron fraggle    pirate
07/03/2013 at 18:25

erm, yes Blisters, I think Candy had the AeroPringles at the first ever pirate venture ??

08/03/2013 at 08:39

30 min. run @ 06:30 then 2200m in the pool last night, done as 11x200m, alternating pull/straight. Nice n' easy. 45 min run/walk planned for the gym today.

981 to 1,000 of 2,400 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.