PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

1,081 to 1,100 of 2,394 messages
30/03/2013 at 19:07

40 miles on the bike done. Felt I could have gone further which is reassuring, but then I was going a slow pace. Av speed 12.5mph but with quite a bit of  traffic in places.  My shoulders were getting stiff towards the end and my feet were freezing. I nearly headed the quick way home when the weather started to blow hail stones in my face but pleased to say I dug deep and carried on. 

IronCat5    pirate
30/03/2013 at 21:49

Nice one Soupy. Good mental effort too.

I think I had 3 gels on the run, then moved to jaffa cake, crisps and flat coke.

Rafiki    pirate
31/03/2013 at 11:12

mmmmmm..... jaffa cakes .... mmmmmmm.....

WhizKid    pirate
31/03/2013 at 11:45
Happy Easter everyone! I might manage a run later today, so busy with family and stuff, I'm stressing a bit as I haven't done anything today! Another big day yesterday hopefully a run tonight..... Enjoy chocolate and roast!
01/04/2013 at 21:01

Good weekend training for me. 1x3hr bike ride, 1x1h15 run/walk, 1x1h40 run/walk, 1xrest day

Still playing with run/walk ratios. Was playing with run 1 mile, walk 1 min. but that wasn't helping my knee much at all. Now at 5:5 and it's working great. No knee pain. Did 10 miles today in 1h40m - seems I can hold 10min/mi doing this ratio fairly comfortably. I'd be dead chuffed if my marathon time during the event started with a 4! I'm thinking of building this up to 2h00m then maybe switching to 6:4 to see if I can hold that. Seems, for me, that run/walk is definitely the way to go, I can manage my knee injury (whilst getting physio for it) and still spend the necessary time on my feet. I'm a definite convert!

Blisters    pirate
03/04/2013 at 13:11

Grumps. I'm jealous of the good work you guys are putting in. I'm currently suffering from a nasty ear infection. PARDON?

03/04/2013 at 17:37

Unlucky mate. Hopefully it will clear up soon?

I'm feeling a smidge under the weather myself at the moment though it's not enough to stop me training.

Frikkin' pool last night was busy. Think it's due to the clocks going forward. I'm no swim snob but there were people in the 'fast' lane that really should not of been there!

It's pretty quiet in here so hopefully you're all getting some good training in!

03/04/2013 at 17:50

Hiya. Sorry about the ear Blisters. I said SORRY ABOUT THE EARS!  Hopefully you will be back in training soon.

A windy bike session for me today on commute home the long way round up 3 hills. Twas hard work. Swimming tomorrow. Missed a run yesterday. A bad case of cba. 

WhizKid    pirate
03/04/2013 at 19:27
Rest day for me, spent the entire day ravenous, I think I put on about 3 stone in weight by the time I sat on the sofa after work.... Was a decent end of the (training) week for me this week with a switch from bike to run focus with a few speed sessions in for good mix, did my first park run on sat, was very windy and had a hill in it which sucked... It's amazing how much 5k can hurt! 19:25 so relatively happy with that as coming off of a monster week last week...

More importantly bloody wind is doing my head in, 2 hours too get the 20 miles home from work on Monday all into a headwind with a massive bag..moan moan ... Oh well sportive this weekend so should be fun hope training is going well for you all!

Badger - I call them the jellyfish, they float about in the fast lane oblivious to the people doing laps :/

Soup - good work on the bike afterwork, I know the pain of the wind all too well....
03/04/2013 at 21:15

Just realised I've got 4 weeks to up my swimming from 1000m in a pool to 1900m and to get my biking up to 56 miles. Never mind running 13 miles, I can walk that. Anyone else doing The Silent Assassin's Half IM next month?

04/04/2013 at 09:16

You'll be fine Soup. Isn't the race up North? Badgers don't go North of London, we don't travel well.

04/04/2013 at 21:12

2800m in the pool done as 7x400M. Did it in an hour without much bother even with decent rest intervals. No pool rage tonight. Happy times.

Blisters    pirate
04/04/2013 at 22:36

No swimming for a couple of weeks, but I'm pleased to report that I managed the full 3800m in the pool a couple of weeks ago. That was a huge motivator for someone who could barely do 25m of crawl this time last year. It can be done. The setback is temporary.

Give me a few days and I'll be getting ready for a marathon.

05/04/2013 at 07:37

Is anyone doing the HIM event? Or are you all doing the full distance?

Scuba Trooper    pirate
05/04/2013 at 08:57

Blisters - Good luck with the marathon.

Soup - You will be fine I'm sure the wet suit helps a lot apparently.

Badger - Good work with the 7x400. I'm still following a lot of the Fink swim sessions and have avoided the long endurance swims in favour of drills and controlled sets as I done want to lock in poor form at the end of a tiring swim but I think it is time to do some long slogs before I get into the build phase.

Shuffling - there’s quite a few doing the Half, if you go back a few pages there is a list. Don't worry post away. There is also a thread about a bike course recce if you fancy that, speaking of which I need to put my dates in.

I've got a 75mile charity ride on Saturday which was cancelled 2 weeks ago which means even though this was meant to be a cut back week I'll be doing 12/13 hours this week.

05/04/2013 at 08:59

Cheers ST - I'll look back through the pages.

iron fraggle    pirate
05/04/2013 at 09:44
Hi all, back from a few days in a surprisingly sunny Cornwall - where I managed put pick up yet another fecking cold . Have just about got rid of it, but have now missed about 4 weeks training . Aiming to have a gentle swim and possible bike on Sunday as I'm having the wibbles now that I've lost too much training and its all going to go horribly wrong.....

If all has gone pear shaped then I'll drop down to the half and try and beat my time from last year instead.
05/04/2013 at 11:15

4 weeks is quite a lot Fraggle. However, depending on your fitness levels prior to ironman training you might be OK? If you've done HIM's before I reckon you'll be fine. There's still 24 weeks to go. Some training plans don't even start until now...

05/04/2013 at 11:18

Oh and for my first (and only) HIM last year the longest continuous swim I did in a pool was about 600m! I managed the 1900m (was actually more like 2000+m) with no problems. Although I was a little dizzy when I got out Swimming in a wetsuit is pretty much cheating!

Edited: 05/04/2013 at 11:19
iron fraggle    pirate
05/04/2013 at 15:42

I'm going to make the decision once I've got back into training - you have no idea how p*ssed off I'm getting with all this being ill stuff

1,081 to 1,100 of 2,394 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.