PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

1,101 to 1,120 of 2,400 messages
Scuba Trooper    pirate
05/04/2013 at 08:57

Blisters - Good luck with the marathon.

Soup - You will be fine I'm sure the wet suit helps a lot apparently.

Badger - Good work with the 7x400. I'm still following a lot of the Fink swim sessions and have avoided the long endurance swims in favour of drills and controlled sets as I done want to lock in poor form at the end of a tiring swim but I think it is time to do some long slogs before I get into the build phase.

Shuffling - there’s quite a few doing the Half, if you go back a few pages there is a list. Don't worry post away. There is also a thread about a bike course recce if you fancy that, speaking of which I need to put my dates in.

I've got a 75mile charity ride on Saturday which was cancelled 2 weeks ago which means even though this was meant to be a cut back week I'll be doing 12/13 hours this week.

05/04/2013 at 08:59

Cheers ST - I'll look back through the pages.

iron fraggle    pirate
05/04/2013 at 09:44
Hi all, back from a few days in a surprisingly sunny Cornwall - where I managed put pick up yet another fecking cold . Have just about got rid of it, but have now missed about 4 weeks training . Aiming to have a gentle swim and possible bike on Sunday as I'm having the wibbles now that I've lost too much training and its all going to go horribly wrong.....

If all has gone pear shaped then I'll drop down to the half and try and beat my time from last year instead.
05/04/2013 at 11:15

4 weeks is quite a lot Fraggle. However, depending on your fitness levels prior to ironman training you might be OK? If you've done HIM's before I reckon you'll be fine. There's still 24 weeks to go. Some training plans don't even start until now...

05/04/2013 at 11:18

Oh and for my first (and only) HIM last year the longest continuous swim I did in a pool was about 600m! I managed the 1900m (was actually more like 2000+m) with no problems. Although I was a little dizzy when I got out Swimming in a wetsuit is pretty much cheating!

Edited: 05/04/2013 at 11:19
iron fraggle    pirate
05/04/2013 at 15:42

I'm going to make the decision once I've got back into training - you have no idea how p*ssed off I'm getting with all this being ill stuff

06/04/2013 at 09:56

Aw Fraggle thats rotten luck.  

I've missed training the last 3 days - struggling with lack of energy and a sore throat but I think its only transient. Still commuting to work on my bike but not done a run or swim this week. I'm fed up with this cold weather and a pool that's full. I don't have "jellyfish" in my pool, just really good fast swimmers that almost swim over me in the medium lane and generally a private swimming lesson in the slow lane. I'm thinking of changing gyms. There is one local to me with a heated 25m outdoor pool that nobody uses this time of year but the water temp is the same as the indoor pool so I don't see why I can't use that. Can always warm up in the jacuzzi after and good practice for OW season. Just a small matter of membership costs. 

WhizKid    pirate
06/04/2013 at 14:49
Soup - hey soup I'm by no means a great swimmer and there always seems too be some bloody brilliant people in the fast lane of my pool I would estimate maybe 1:30/35 per 100m and I just can't keep up... Then in the medium lane it's bleeding kids, I can manage about 1:50 continuous but it's annoying as all hell I just stick at it as the pool is conviently 5 min walk from my house and the only other pool is a 15 metre one in a leisure centre that's twice the price! Just keep at it everyone including you pays membership you have just as much right too be there as anyone else sod em all

On training this week did a "fun" 16 mile run last night with 20 min speed intervals in creasing up too end of the run ... Which was 2 hours, today was a windy 50 mile bike and 4 mile run and tommoro is a 90 mile sportive which I'm looking forward too!

Hope everyone's training is ticking along nicely!
Edited: 06/04/2013 at 14:51
06/04/2013 at 16:10

I'm 2:30 for 100m lol. I don't do fast.   It really messes my breathing up when somebody has barged past me and sent a wave a water and splashes over my head. I suppose its good practice for ow bun fights at the start, but length after length I just give in. 

07/04/2013 at 11:09

Done it! Joined a different shiney (expensive) gym and had a fab outdoor swim with the pool all to myself.  Its a David Lloyd club so I've got a short tennis course included in the membership. Not played tennis for 40 years but excited at giving it a go again. How I fit in tennis with swimming, biking and running is another matter. 

WhizKid    pirate
07/04/2013 at 15:59
Nice one soup

Did the joker sportive today, met another pirate while I was there! Can't remember his forum name but he's doing Lanza so best of luck too him....

On topic of the event, the first half went great...Jesus there was some climbing one long ass 20% hill on one of the optional routes then some horrible 25% climb on cobbles which was interesting.... On the third optional climb there was a sweet decent after it... Was doing about 45 mph and BANG blowout on the back wheel was sliding all over the gaf.... Sliced the sidewall of the tyre so ten minutes later and a massive arse bodge job of a repair I was on my way... Needless too say too very easy for the rest of the ride.... Not nearly as fast as I wanted but done none he less and done all the hard routes... And I got a t shirt!
07/04/2013 at 16:50

Blimey, well doen jamie. A blowout on a descent would scare the life out of me. No idea how I'd mend a tyre either. It would be race over. 

A short run for me this morning. Just about to head off for another swim, just a relaxing one working on breathing. 

WhizKid    pirate
07/04/2013 at 16:53
Wedged a bit of card into the the tyre where the hole is and you got a repair good enough too let you finish the race!

Enjoy your swim soup
08/04/2013 at 10:07

Good job @ The Joker, Jamie. Sounds a toughie. I've got an 86-miler next Sunday - that will be my furthest ever ride.

Rounded out an 11 hour training week last week, which is a little silly as it was supposed to be a recovery week. Did the club ride yesterday just as a change, 56 miles with the usual racing up hills. Legs are feeling it today. Definitely not an Ironman-pace session!

Currently toying with having an extra day off this week so I am fresh and ready for Sunday's sportive.

Keep trucking everyone!

WhizKid    pirate
08/04/2013 at 17:27
Have the extra day off UB you will feel better for it, oh and it's a sportive not a race so don't get too excited and jump in with the massive peloton Tour de France race that some idiots turn it into, enjoy it, practise nutrition, make sure you stay hydrated and bring spare tubes, keep us updated!
09/04/2013 at 18:35

1500m swim done. 

09/04/2013 at 22:25

Nice one Soup. 1 hour run/walk and 1 hour club swim for me today. Another good day's training. Things are going well for me at the moment.

WhizKid    pirate
10/04/2013 at 17:41
Got up again at redonkulous o clock too go swimming 1 mile all drills which was ok felt and was a bit slow, I'm always a bit slow first thing especially with I food or more importantly no tea! Cycled too work after had too pull my finger out only half 30 mins too go 9 miles then rode home after was meant too go running tonight for intervals but am shattered so gonna chill with the cat instead.... Hope everyone else isn't knackered like me!
Blisters    pirate
10/04/2013 at 17:52

to to to to to

Per-lease.

Chastise me later when you kick my tail in the main event.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
10/04/2013 at 18:49

Didn't manage the 75mile charity ride on Saturday logistics got the better of me and tri club mate so we stayed local and did 60miles instead. Ride was fun until 400m from home when I snapped my chain, I've put in a new pin for the time being but will get a new one and probably a new cassette as everyone suggests to replace them both. I may also have to get a new large chain ring as having looked closely at mine while mucking around with the chain it looks quite rough and worn. God owning a bike is getting expensive.

Moved rest day to Sunday so easy 1 hours run Monday. Another 1 hour run yesterday morning and then club coached swim in the evening and 45min/30min turbo brick session this morning. Don't feel to knackered at the moment but it's early in the week.

Sounds like everyone else is training well.

Fraggle - I hope you can get a few solid training weeks in and feel you can still make the full IM.

1,101 to 1,120 of 2,400 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.