PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

1,141 to 1,160 of 2,400 messages
Scuba Trooper    pirate
15/04/2013 at 14:54

Soup - Hope everything goes as well as possible at work, IM training much be a welcome distraction as well as a added complication at the moment.

Jamie - Impressive mileage and speed as usual. Thanks for the encouragement, I did the Duathlon 3.5/19/3.5km in 1:09:30 (run was cross country and both run and bike were undultaing). I was slowest in both tranistions at 1:30 for each and all I had to do was change my shoes and helmet . Pleased that the run splits where very even, so paced it well and felt good even after 60miles on the saturday.

Doubt I will be able to afford to upgrade much on my bike before Henley but like the idea of faster wheels

iron fraggle    pirate
15/04/2013 at 16:50

i think the 'go faster' wheels are Fulcrum racing 1's (will tell you when they arrive) so not deep aero profile scary-in-a-crosswind jobbie, but lighter stiffer ones than what i've currently got.  They *are* supposed to make me faster, though whether that'll actually happen is anyone's guess

WhizKid    pirate
15/04/2013 at 20:01
St - well done mate I'm really glad you went for the race, I hope you had a brilliant time! For your transitions that's easy stuff to work on I did my t1 in my last duathlon in 21 seconds just make sure everything is lined up in order and maybe if your confident enough keep your bike shoes attached to your bike with elastic bands saves heaps of time!

Fraggle - I want some pics of these bad boys! I love my wheels and I don't think they are too bad in sidewinds here is a pic of my beast neway http://www.flickr.com/photos/94965841@N02/8653194648/
16/04/2013 at 08:54

Cracking ride round Richmond Park after work with Dustboy yesterday.  Only did a couple of laps cos didn't want to get locked in the car park but really hammered it on the second lap. Made a fun change from the long slow stuff and as usual with Dustboy had a hell of a laugh. Great way to unwind after a stressful day. 

Scuba Trooper    pirate
16/04/2013 at 18:36

Soup - It's lovely to have a change of pace now and again even if its not in the training plan especially with a fun training partner.

Jamie - Nice machine, puts mine to shame

Badger - Know what you mean a about not thinking about the big picture very scary still. My mileage and times seem similar to yours, although I am getting in nearly 2000m of climb on 60mile ride (if you can believe garmin data). Not sure I'm looking forward to build sessions with added intervals. 

9 miles in 1:17 for me this morning and Tri Club coached swim this evening. 

16/04/2013 at 20:22

Great swim coaching session tonight. She has told me to do breathing practice in a bowl at home so I called in at a certain large supermarket to buy a new one (didn't fancy washing-up bowl). Its only when I noticed someone looking at me a bit strange when I realised I'd picked up a round bowl and a rectangle one then put my head in each to decide which was the better size. 

WhizKid    pirate
16/04/2013 at 20:29
Soup - I laughed when I imagined you with a bowl on your head in the middle of the super market lol!

Day off for me today just been chilling with the mrs and the cat. Oh was at work too.... Not really a great day off as I do a manual job too
Dustboy    pirate
16/04/2013 at 21:07

Soupy is getting well handy on the flat. We had a real crack as well. Plenty of odd looks from other bikers as we stood draped over our bikes in hysterics, unable to move.

Will be gong back for a few more laps in a week or so.

OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
17/04/2013 at 19:42

My missus (shuffleB) has just entered the half, so I'll be along supporting.

yay!

Where is everyone staying the night before?

WhizKid    pirate
17/04/2013 at 19:56
My house 15 miles away! If your stuck for accommodation reading is the best place lots of cheap decent hotels!
17/04/2013 at 20:04

The more the merrier! I was staying in Marlow but I have cancelled that now and have a 'van booked at Swiss Farm - should be easier for the family.

Scuba are you really getting 2000m in a 60 mile ride? Are you sure it's not feet? Where do you live, the Alps? I live on the edge of the South Downs and thought I was doing OK...obviously not!

Another two hours of training done today. Same tomorrow. And the next...and the next...

I have ear marked Saturday for the TT bikes maiden voyage of 2013 complete with new Planet X 60mm rims. Training plan calls for a 3 hour ride. I cannae wait I tells ya! 

18/04/2013 at 15:51

Me and my family are staying at the Caravan Club site just along from Swiss Farm.

Having a rubbish time at the moment. Cycling and swimming as normal but my right ankle has gone wrong and I'm struggling to walk, let alone run. My first ever marathon is a week on Sunday and I'm currently a bit hacked off!

Scuba Trooper    pirate
18/04/2013 at 16:28

Badger - I did wonder about the Garmin data it says 5700ft but it is from a 405 so more a running watch than a cycle computer. Not being a cyclist I didn't know what sounded reasonable. I'm on the Essex, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire border (3 counties not famed form there hillyness) but I am going out of my way to include as many big hills as possible on my routes.

Soup - Love the supermarket story, what is the drill the coach has suggested and what is it meant to solve technique wise?

Cheggers - Sorry to hear about your injury troubles, whats the physio have to say?

Orange and ShuffleB nice to have more pirates around for the big day.

1 hour spin session on the turbo and then a swim for me today. Didn't think my swimming was improving but on Tuesday I got put in the next lap up at the Tri club session and managed to keep up and today I did a Fink session 300m, 3x200m, 300m and took me much less than half an hours so I must be getting some extra speed from somewhere. I also don't feel as completed broken at the end of an hours swim as I did only a month ago.

Am I the only one without a TT bike and fancy wheels 

Scuba Trooper    pirate
18/04/2013 at 19:40

Cheggers and Badger have you had to book a whole week in the caravan parks or have you managed a price for just he weekend? I like the look of them and would be good for the family but don't like the idea of paying £400 for 7 nights and then only being there at most 3.

WhizKid    pirate
18/04/2013 at 20:42
St - it took me a couple of years too save for my bike, I love it too pieces best investment I've ever made had it about a year and I love going out on it!

Cheggers - rest up mate I hope all goes well for your mara keep us updated!

Iknow someone who lives on Swiss farm lol.... Anyway it's about 150 metres from t2 and the race finish

1 hour hilly bike too and from work...16 mile insanely windy not very fast run afterwards..... Felt strong
19/04/2013 at 06:50

ST - I have a standard Specialized road bike with no bling. I may or may not put some aero bars on. 

The breathing into a bowl is meant to help me get breath management sorted. I have to slowly breathe out into the bowl then turn my head low as if I'm swimming and make sure I breathe out fully then take a belly breath in and repeat for 10 to 15 mins. Then I time it with my tempo trainer to get a breathing pattern comfortable at the pace I'll be swimming. Means I get to practice breathing every day for a week. I've developed a habit of not fully breathing out so I'm not getting the air which makes me puffed. Funny but I breathe perfectly on breaststroke but go into sort of breathing panic on freestyle. 

19/04/2013 at 08:54
Scubes, yes I am paying for the whole week. We're going to hang around for a few days in the area and do some family stuff. I've a 2 year old to entertain! I doubt we'll stay for a whole week. Hardly cheap but it's location looks perfect and I want the family to have a good day too - without having to worry about logistics. The only downside was that ideally I would've come up on the Friday but you can't check in until Saturday (afternoon)
Scuba Trooper    pirate
19/04/2013 at 10:13

Badger - Unfortunately my oldest is at school so family will not be able to travel down until Friday evening and would have to leave late Sunday or very early Monday. I may I turn up earlier on Friday and leave once the Pirate party is over Monday/Tuesday. I like the location and facilities Swiss Farm have to offer but not quite ready to pay that price. Did you ask them about a shorter stay or a Friday book in? They aren't going to be full at that time as the school holidays are over.

19/04/2013 at 11:16

Scuba - we've got a motorhome that we use quite a bit so we can just take that the whole 14 miles from home to the caravan club site and we're booked in there from the Friday to the Monday. Got my in-laws collecting the kids on Sunday evening (my youngest wants to cross the line with me so I can't finish too late!) and they'll deal with the school runs etc for us on the Monday.

I know the location well and I'm not sure of the logistics of getting from the site to the river to start the race early on Sunday morning but that can't really be that much of a problem - both sites are in really good locations for us.

Thanks for the comments on my ankle. Still knackered but slowly improving. We're away (in the motorhome!) for the weekend so I'll have a couple of days off. Cycling is fine and I did my fastest 2.5km swim ever yesterday - so the rest from running may be doing me good. As long as it all comes good it'll be an extended taper!

WhizKid    pirate
19/04/2013 at 20:03
Just done a 3k swim in a smidge over a hour pretty relaxed affair done it at rough IM pace was fun.... Anyway just got my back up invite for the Windsor triathlon... So looking forward too it, sad thing is I suck massive arse at oly distance as the swim is long in comparison too half IM and IM, aiming for sub 2:15 but means I'm gonna have too swim like a crazy guy... Not too mention a sub 40 10k which is fine if I'm fresh... Which I won't be...
1,141 to 1,160 of 2,400 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.