PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

1,161 to 1,180 of 2,394 messages
Scuba Trooper    pirate
21/04/2013 at 08:41

Jamie - Kona is a great target but is racing so often and trying to be at your peak for so much of the time the best way to get there? Isn't the perceived wisdom around base work and periodisation, don't you run the risk of having nothing left to give by the time you get to Henley?

Are you a member of a Tri club or have a coach or mentor?

WhizKid    pirate
21/04/2013 at 09:18
I have a chap I work with, I'm not a member of the local club I should really join them... I've had a bit of trouble with group training in the past as I was briefly a member of tri2o a club near me but I found a lot of their sessions were not targeted towards what I wanted, so now I have a mentor if you will that was a top gb triathlete as well as 2:35 marathon runner, we have been working a lot on my running this year and swimming too.... The training regime he has given me is quite intense and it does involve a lot of mid distance speed work on the run... Also a lot of he races I entered before I entered Henley as I wasent sure if I was going for IM this year or was gonna go for British champs instead.... And a few of the, I got free places too as well... Can't turn down a free race! I'm going too see how this season pans out, off out for a century back soon!
21/04/2013 at 19:14

Well the best of British to you Jamie. Your ambitions help to remind me that I shouldn't compare my own training to yours!

So that's me done for the Fink intermediate base phase. 10 weeks done already. Gulp.

*BOOM! STAT ATTACK*

Swim: 15h55m, Bike: 44h20m, Run: 23h41m. Total: 83h56m.

Longest swim (set) 2800m, Longest bike 60m (x2), Longest run/walk 10mi (x2)

Fink called for 85 hours so I am not too far off. Had two bad weeks too.

Edited: 21/04/2013 at 19:20
WhizKid    pirate
21/04/2013 at 20:31
Build phase time badger this is where the fun starts.... I train in a slightly strange way compared too most but it works pretty well for me... Also it requires a understanding mrs.... And some insane commitment ... Oh and a crappy social life
Blisters    pirate
21/04/2013 at 20:46

I bought Going Long by Friel and Gordo whatsisface. Personally, I can't understand a flipping word. Actually that's not true, but it's far too technical for me. I want some nice straight forward training plans that I can read, consider, butcher, ignore, and then make it up as I go along.

Here's my 18 month plan so far:
Year 1: learn how to swim, and get as far as 3800m. (tick) Bike a bit (clearly not enough). Run, get back to marathon fitness. (Next week)

Last 6 months:
-keep swimming the 100L and do some open water.
-Bike up to 100miles a few times. Check out the course.
-Run, monthly 22 milers to keep marathon fit.

This past week has seen me shake up my marathon legs, as they had got lardy. After that we'll need to start being serious about the bike.

WhizKid    pirate
21/04/2013 at 20:56
Blisters I had that book... It's pretty advanced even the beginners training program's... The advanced plan is what I'm roughly following but my god it's still insane... Start getting serious about the bike now... Running doesn't need too be mental at the moment... Replace bike a bit by bike a crap ton... especially for Henley as the bike course is quite savage and the marathon course is pan flat
WhizKid    pirate
22/04/2013 at 17:57
Huge day training today.... Sarcasm 1 mile swim drill set... Was meant too run but have a massive headache and feels like my eyes are being pushed out ... Day off tommoro... Feel lazy and fat now
Blisters    pirate
22/04/2013 at 19:44

I'm on taper time for a marathon race on Sunday.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
23/04/2013 at 18:02

Badger - I can't resist some good stats so here are mine.

Swim: 2:38 Bike:44:21 Run:31:47 Total:102:33

Not sure what my longest set swimming it probably only 4X400m, 70mile bike and run of 15 (half marathon race with warm up/cool down)

Doing 3 swims a week and staying above the bike requirements has taken me well over target.

Blisters - I read "Going Long" too, very interesting quite technical but doesn't really give you a plan to work to. Good luck at the weekend, got a target time in mind?

Jamie - Glad you have someone keeping an eye on your training. How do you get into races free? I know what you mean about the Tri club, it has been very useful for the swim training but the bikes and rides are far to short for IM training.

Did my first Build Phase run today, strange doing fast stuff again after so many weeks of base. Nice change but I'm sure the novelty will wear off.

WhizKid    pirate
23/04/2013 at 19:41
ST - I am going too join my local club again... I won't ride with them though... Like you say way too short, they are also affiliated with the local running club who are pretty decent.... I always seemed too get beaten by them! I can't go into detail what races and why, or I can get in trouble... Oh and the novelty of fast stuff wears off quickly after about 1 session! Oh and bike looks good, lets see all those numbers rise!
23/04/2013 at 20:30

Nice one Scuba - those stats look good to me. I reckon you're ahead of the game on the bike/run front.

Did an hour run/walk today and felt, well, meh. Felt a little flat on Sunday's ride too. I have some mild pain on the top of my right foot which doesn't appear to be going away and my right shoulder is a bit creaky/clicky, something my physio wants to keep on top of from the outset. It appears I am slowly falling apart!  With that in mind I am going to switch to a bike focus this week to see if I can sort these minor niggles with a bit of relative rest. 

23/04/2013 at 21:10

I've had lurgy for a few days so just done easy swimming and biking.  Slept about 16 hours yesterday though.  Feeling better today, especially after finding a long lost bottle of gin in the garage. 

24/04/2013 at 11:56

With huge regret I think I've blown out my marathon that I should be doing this weekend. My ankle is still rubbish and I can barely walk - let alone run. It got a little better and then just stopped improving.

However I'm away at the moment and I can cycle! 75 miles on Monday and a nice 100 mile ride yesterday. 25 miles earlier on and that'll be all today as I'm out with my wife this afternoon. Well pleased with how the 100 miles went though.

29/04/2013 at 09:28

Gone a bit quiet - how are things going? Sounds like the bike recce was a success. 

Fraggle - sorry to read about your bike incident on the recce thread. Glad you are okay.

Blisters - how did Strattford go? I saw Squishy but that was it. I had a terrible time and pulled out at 2 miles and ran along the river at my own pace and distance instead. Just wasn't enjoying it, right at the back on my own with the cyclist and didn't have any go in me at all. It was a bit of a wake-up call to do more running. The point of a race for me is to see the fruits of my training, without training there was no point in the race. 

Looking forward to the Pirate DIY half iron this weekend though. 

WhizKid    pirate
29/04/2013 at 19:54

Training is going very well for me at the moment! This nice weather helps a lot especially at 5:30 am... Oh and the Henley bike course is pretty flat as opposed to last year.... Go go gadget 5:20 bike leg!

29/04/2013 at 19:59

Hi Soup - yes we all absconded to the recce thread but we're back now Sorry to hear about your run. Hopefully you can get back on track with the DIY HIM. I've got 5 weeks until Swashbuckler. Really looking forward to racing again as I haven't raced anything since last September. 

Physio and a 1 hour fastish ride out on the TT bike for me this evening. Felt good! My foot appears to be healing a bit now (will be a week tomorrow since my last run) going to give it a few more days and maybe try it out at the tail end of the week. 

Weather's looking good for this week - I wanna see some solid training people!

Blisters    pirate
29/04/2013 at 22:30

Soupy, I tried to look out for you. I did find Crash Hamster and we ran for half the race at slightly above our capabilities. Then we drifted apart by a few metres. Down the Greenway I was absolutely dreading him overtaking me because I was dying on my feet. In retrospect I should have done more than one week's training. Pulling out a 3:25 wasn't a disaster (that was reserved for 3:28, a different story). It was great being in Pirate gear, and I lapped it up.

Carshie never overtook me (big grin).

30/04/2013 at 09:40

Good stuff Blisters. Racing in Pirate kit is just brill isn't it? I didn't wear it because I knew I couldn't do it justice plodding/walking slowly at the back and glad I didn't cos Pirates don't quit. 

Which brings me on to my next decision - I'm dropping down to the half. I meant to do that when I entered but a mad moment said "sod it, give it a go". Stratty told me I had to do more running and I enjoy a good road race. Can't do that and get my biking and swimming up to speed and distance as well so I'd rather do a smaller distance and finish. To compicate it further I've re-found a childhood love of tennis and got a training partner which takes up more time.  Time to take stock and re-prioritise.  

I always said I won't do a full IM till I can do a half without chasing cut -offs. So the half is going to be my A race which  I'm happy about. 

iron fraggle    pirate
30/04/2013 at 15:46

Sounds like you've made a good decision Soupy, it's all about getting the balance right *for you*      I'm now back into training and enjoying it, so still hoping to do the full distance, hope you're going to hang around and be chief Pirate cheer leader after you're done ? 

Blisters    pirate
30/04/2013 at 17:16

Oh yeah, training. Where's me bike? I don't think I can blag this one.

1,161 to 1,180 of 2,394 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.